Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Jet makers hit hard due to unfair media coverage, aviation business feeling economic downturn, cost of flying private business jet versus commercial first class

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 02:23 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times

Advertisements

Economy, 'fat cat' label hit corporate jet makers hard - USATODAY.com

I work in the general aviation industry. What has happened in the last few months has been a slap in the face and we blame a select group of congressmen and media personalities. This article pretty much spells out our concerns and our position on the subject. General aviation is a cost effective way for business travel. Not every aircraft is a Rolls Royce or Ferrari in the sky. Some are more like your average Lincoln or Cadillac.

Sure the price is high but when you compare the cost to fly first class (or even economy class in some cases) the cost to fly can be even higher than flying on a private business aircraft. I used to fly from Fort Worth to Hartford quite a bit and the economy class ticket was often pushing $1200. OK imagine if you had a buisiness jet that could carry 8 passengers the same distance at a cost for the trip at $14000. That's not such a wildly outrageous expense folks! Plus you have to take into account the difference in efficiency. Think about how much faster you can go from the airport terminal to being in the air. The trips are often take less time and when you get there you don't have to fight hundreds of passengers getting off the plane and retrieving your luggage. You just go to the back of the plane, grab your bag and go....you can have a car pick you up right next to the plane (no walking through miles of airport terminals) then you're off to your meeting. And if we're talking about paying some of these passengers by the hour at hundreds of dollars per hour, time is money. Time can be lots of money!

The skeptisism about business jets also hurts the economy as a whole. As many as a million workers in the US make their living in the aviation business. When you start talking it down like it's not necessary you may as well just fire all those people yourself. And while you're at it just take their houses away from them and take food out of their childrens' mouths.

<drjones96 steps off the soap box>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 02:41 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,018 times
Well I can understand your frustration, but... as far as CEOs of companies that got bailout money goes, they should fly commercial economy class, because obviously the less time they have to screw their companies the better. I don't agree that any industry is sacrosanct. Some should die in our new (more sustainable) economy. There are other industries to switch to, even if that means accepting a lower standard of living.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:54 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
I know what you mean, OP. The time of any CEO worth the title is expensive, because it's valuable, it's valuable because he directs the company down the most profitable path. It does not make sense to have this guy standing in line to be shaken down by TSA. This of course begs the question as to who exactly *should* have to stand in line to be shaken down by TSA, but that's a different topic.

Reminds me of the stupid "Yacht Tax" soak the rich scheme from a few years back. Did this hurt rich people? No, they already had their yachts, thanks. What it did do, is hurt yacht *makers*.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Reminds me of the stupid "Yacht Tax" soak the rich scheme from a few years back. Did this hurt rich people? No, they already had their yachts, thanks. What it did do, is hurt yacht *makers*.
And also generated tax revenue from subsequent yacht owners, to slow down the massive increases in national debt they wanted.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:17 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
What burns me is the politicians. They're talking out of both sides of their mouths.

Our commander and chief flys on a plane the dworfs our planes. He's one man flying on a 747 with an entire support staff.

Or how about Nancy Pelosi flying back and forth to CA on a government issue 757 at about $32k per flight. Yeah...that's how she gets around if you wondered.

How about some more irony? After Sept 11th the federal government issued letters to CEO's of major companies telling them it may be in thier best interests for security reasons to fly on private planes! Here these guys are being dogged for using an asset their company owns to do exactly what they were told to do!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 04:16 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
And also generated tax revenue from subsequent yacht owners, to slow down the massive increases in national debt they wanted.

Living near the "Boating Capital of the World" (yeah I know it's MD hyperbole) I can tell you that after that tax was passed the bottom dropped out of big boat sales for several years. Several boat dealers went out of business.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:08 PM

That's okay by me. Reducing the national debt comes before yachts. Trickle down doesn't work. Taxes do.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:30 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
That's okay by me. Reducing the national debt comes before yachts. Trickle down doesn't work. Taxes do.

Oh, ok. So those business owners aren't paying taxes nor are their now former employees. That sounds like a really good plan. Once again a thead that isn't about taxes but about envy.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:35 PM

We have to get the tax revenue somehow. Trickle down doesn't work. What do you propose? Luxury taxes sound great to me--the customers obviously have the money. Not all yacht companies went out of business; just ones that wouldn't have existed in the first place had the taxes been better assessed.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:

Then you are infavor of all citizens paying at least some income tax if they have income? That would stop the freeloader mentality of many people. They want more they pay more. That IMo is the onyl way to be far when increasing taxes.Bring the rich to teh 39% but also raise very other class . I teh end they will actaully pay less in real dollars anywqay. Too many do not suppport the national debt in anyway and in fact are increasing it all teh time by basic freeloading off Tax payers, but wanting a say on where their taxes go. That's like saying I want a say on where my hot air goes;same thing. Everyone should pay some tax in this country if they eran any income;plain and simple. the governamnt is no ones parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics