Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 02:12 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,368,535 times

Advertisements

I should be having a couple of big holidays across the US and Canada in 2020 and 2021. Having already been to the Texas State Fair, are there any other state fairs that are essential to visit? And any to avoid?

Does Canada have province fairs? Are they along the same lines as those in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 02:19 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,779,918 times
Minnesota and New York are pretty good, having been to Texas State Fair you will be disappointed with most of the fairs. Also depends on what you like to do at a fair.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:19 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,120,131 times
probably should stop at the biggest and best in St Paul in late Aug/early Sept

Old 08-06-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Minnesota and New York are pretty good, having been to Texas State Fair you will be disappointed with most of the fairs. Also depends on what you like to do at a fair.

Are there any that would have rodeo-type events? I assume that all state fairs have deep-fried food and drink. Happy to try some more of that!

Old 08-06-2018, 02:37 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,779,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
Are there any that would have rodeo-type events? I assume that all state fairs have deep-fried food and drink. Happy to try some more of that!

Probably any state out west like Wyoming, Montana, etc. Colorado has the National Western Stock show, pretty cool if you are just into that.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:39 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,120,131 times
Quote:
no rodeo events at the MN State Fair (that would be cruel) but many daily horse shows throughout the 12 days primarily focused on English and Western showmanship and riding competition...

https://www.mnstatefair.org/animals/horses/

The Lee & Rose Warner Coliseum features many horse shows during the fair, including cutting horse competitions, driving classes, speed events, drill and square dance teams, draft horses and much more.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:55 PM

61,916 posts, read 87,450,383 times
I don't go there, but here is a list.
For the best State Fairs in the U.S., head to the Midwest:
https://www.iexplore.com/experiences...-fairs-midwest
https://parade.com/591604/lch3q/50-o...united-states/
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tri...Ay56Ak#image=1
https://www.vacationsmadeeasy.com/Th...ca.html?mobr=1
Here is a good directory, but for 2020 you need to check later
https://www.tripsavvy.com/state-fairs-1860329
Here is a listing for Canada, but if you want more input from locals, please ask in Canada Forum:
https://m.escapehere.com/destination...irs-in-canada/

Old 08-06-2018, 03:01 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,335,313 times
Quote:
I should be having a couple of big holidays across the US and Canada in 2020 and 2021. Having already been to the Texas State Fair, are there any other state fairs that are essential to visit? And any to avoid?

Does Canada have province fairs? Are they along the same lines as those in the US?

The Texas State Fair is probably the largest and one of the latest state fairs in the US. Few will match the number of things that are going on or the number of museums that are around.

The Best state fairs that I have attended:

Minnesota State Fair - Minneapolis
Iowa State Fair - Des Moines
Ohio State Fair - Columbus

The worst was the Michigan State Fair (if it still exists).

In addition, there are MANY county fairs all through the country. Some of the best are in Wisconsin where they bring some exceptional entertainment acts to the fair at NO ADDITIONAL COST other than fair admission.

Canada has a number of exhibitions that are very interesting. My favorite is the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto. I also like the Calgary Stampede which is a must if you like rodeo and other western events.

Another event in Texas that is LARGER than most state fairs in the Houston Livestock and Rodeo Show, held in March. There is so much cool stuff including a daily rodeo and top of the line entertainment acts. IMO, it is better than the Calgary Stampede and is more reasonably priced.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In addition, there are MANY county fairs all through the country. Some of the best are in Wisconsin where they bring some exceptional entertainment acts to the fair at NO ADDITIONAL COST other than fair admission.

I never thought of county fairs, thank you. I'll investigate those nearer the time when I have a clearer idea of when and where I'll be.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:11 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,335,313 times
^^^

Remember that county fairs are vary greatly. If you let people know where you are heading, you can get a list of really great county fairs .... and some not worth heading to. Ditto on the state fairs.

Another thing, MOST state and county fairs are geared toward agriculture and animals and the like. If you head to one in a large city, it GENERALLY is not as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel