Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 09:34 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,379,179 times

Advertisements

Another idea for your open day would be a visit to Château de Vaux le Vicomte (southeast of Paris). It was the inspiration for Versailles, and you will see many similarities. Be sure to read about its history, which is fascinating and sooo old world France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 10:16 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,528,663 times
I forgot, get this: https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-routier...arrondissement

This is the definitive map of Paris, used by visitors and residents alike.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:31 PM

9,888 posts, read 14,171,418 times
In my opinion, you have a very aggressive schedule. Remember, this is your honeymoon; which is a time to just spend time with your new spouse. Take it easy. You are never going to see everything, and if you try, you will just be exhausted. Enjoy what you see; spend a little extra time just wandering around neighborhoods, stop and have a glass of wine, and just enjoy the lovely city.

My husband and I just got back from a Spain/ Portugal trip where we added 2 days in Paris at the end (it butted up against Memorial day, so we had the extra time). Our hotel was in Montmartre and we decided that we would spend the entire 2 days there. It was well worth it not to try and rush around and see everything. There was MORE than enough to see and do.

As for TA's, there are pros and cons, and IMO depends on what you are actually doing. I have used a TA for cruises, because I knew there was going to be a big cash back refund or on-board credit ($500+). But I have always booked my own hotels, as I like upscale, but small, boutique hotels. TAs try to push you to the bigger chains.

I have had luck with a TA building a great (and a great price) itinerary for a multi-stop plane reservation. Was able to push for some upgrades because they have the relationship.

So, no need to do it for your trip; you are certainly capable to do it yourself. But think about where the TA may have discount capabilities; does it make financial sense to use them? Maybe. Remember, you aren't paying them....doesn't hurt to see what they offer.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:11 PM

436 posts, read 581,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I appreciate the awesome advice. Kind of a compromise with the wifey if no TA ensure I can book tours and so forth.

Kind have a tentative plan in mind...

Day 1: Arrive in the morning...Seine River Dinner Cruise in the Evening.

Day 2: The*Louvre. Candlelight Romantic Dinner.

Day 3: Versailles and Giverny tour for a day.

Day 4: Tour of the*Basilica du Sacre-Coeur de Montmartre*and a food tour in the*Latin Quarter.

Day 5: Visit Notre' Dame and*Musee d'Orsay. Cabaret show and dinner at Lido.

Day 6: Visit the Eiffel Tower and Arc De Triomphe. Cheese and Wine Tasting at The Louvre.

Day 7: Open Day.

Day 8: Return Home

Sooo much in France itself to see. Have to make another trip after this one some day!
I have done a very similar trip, as another poster said minus the romantic dinners. I was with family members. I would not put anything on day one agenda. I would make day one a free day to do as you please, explore and enjoy local cafes and shopping and perfumeries. The local cafes in Paris are the best, French wine is wonderful!

I would move the Seine River dinner cruise in the evening to one of your other evenings instead of the first night you arrive. Be sure to get a reservation for the dinner cruise. The Seine River cruise at daylight/dusk/dark is magical because when you go on the first part of the cruise it is daylight and when you come back everything is lit with beautiful lights.

I would consider moving the free day into the middle of the trip. Also you don't have to do every single thing on the list. With so many planned events you don't leave a lot of time for just plain old exploring which is fun in Paris, the unexpected and unplanned can be as fun (or more fun) as plans.

My family and I stayed in a beautiful apartment in the Latin Quarter (5), we spent a lot of time in the Latin Quarter and Saint Germain (6). I recommend staying in Arrondissements 1 through 7, with emphasis on 1, 4, 5 and 6. It makes everything that you want to do more walkable and there are so many shops and restaurants in that area.

I am not sure what days of the week you have this lined up for but remember this, nearly all shopping is closed on Sunday, a lot of museums closed on Monday.

Congratulations on planning a honeymoon in Paris. To quote Audrey Hepburn "Paris is always a good idea" and I completely agree.

Last edited by RedTexanTea; 07-13-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-13-2018, 07:13 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,895,083 times
Sacre Coeur is fun in the evening as tourists and locals gather on the steps of the cathedral to watch the street performers and sunset over the city.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:10 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,733,619 times
? Hotel we booked is right next to the Saint-Placide metro station...Okay spot. Was a bit concerned that we will be away from tourist locations.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:15 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,610,468 times
Saint Placide is great.

Sights are spread over a large area (Paris has a large central core), there is nowhere where you are close to everything in Paris. Being close to one landmark means being far to one other.
It's better to be close to a big central hub like Montparnasse (Saint Placide is nearby) where it's easy to go anywhere than next to the Eiffel tower.
It can be bad to be too close of some monuments because, well you may miss the real Paris. Paris is a real city, not a theme park where you just need to go from an attraction to another one. The best areas aren't necessarily what is next to the sights.

Saint Placide is very central, well served by public transportation, with many shops and restaurants around.
Rue de Rennes is a major shopping street with the usual chains. If you want more upmarket, there is the very posh le Bon Marché departement store (don't miss the food section) nearby at the end of Saint Placide street and all the smaller shops around.
You can enjoy the famous Luxembourg garden.
You can have the best view over Paris on the top of Montparnasse tower. You have great night life at Montparnasse (Rue du Montparnasse, Rue de l'Odessa, rue de la Gaité...)
Saint-Germain-des-Pres is also at walking distance.
Lots of things nearby.

DSC045346 by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Last edited by Minato ku; 07-14-2018 at 03:01 AM..

Old 07-14-2018, 06:14 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,779,634 times
I like your itinerary. Congrats on the wedding and I really hope you enjoy your honeymoon in Paris, what a great city.

Last edited by maus; 07-14-2018 at 06:40 AM..

Old 07-14-2018, 07:32 AM

2,283 posts, read 1,681,774 times
If either of you speak any French, brush up on your vocabulary and know at least simple phrases of polite greetings and questions.

We noticed that in shops and restaurants knowing the protocol of greeting the shopkeepers and ordering your meal in French made a huge difference to us. We were treated with courtesy and patience everywhere. Our favorite experience was in a small bakery near our flat where the family of shopkeepers spoke no English but we all managed. Another restaurant owner corrected our French phrasing a couple of times (helpfully) and enthusiastically greeted us upon a return visit.

Keep in mind the advice you have received about lines and learn how to avoid them. Study the transportation maps and know what you are doing in advance. We preferred the busses in Paris as we could view the city. Have a great time!

Old 07-14-2018, 07:47 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,439,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
walking past bucolic pastures filled with black & white cows that moo with a French accent,.
That is funny.

Paris is big, enough to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel