Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 02:23 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,888,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I have used Transfer Wise with no problems. I would not pay for any apartment without seeing it first. Your best bet is to take the money to Lisbon in USD and change it into Euros at a currency exchange in central Lisbon. They will have many currency exchanges in the center, just as every European city does. I do this all the time when I go to Europe.
I've been reading about Transfer Wise, and it sounds great, except, it looks like you'd need an account in the other country. I mean, I could sell my dollars, but how then do you pick up the Euros?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 02:48 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,521,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
We are heading to Portugal. Our apartment rental demands a cash payment in Euros upon arrival.

I already know the best exchange rates are using your credit/debit card, but that doesn't apply here. I have to show up with over 1,000 euros in cash.

I looked at the Cambio website. They have kiosks at the Lisbon airport. Everyone says that their rates are terrible.

However, on their site, they say their rate is about 1.195. My bank's website here in the States is showing 1.23.

Everyone I've talked to, very experienced world travelers say to exchange the money here first, but these rates suggest otherwise.

Can someone help me figure this out? I'd appreciate it.
what site did you book it from? It seems shoddy to me to show up with cash. Booking.com and Airbnb, expedia, sites that I used in the past to book accommodations in Europe, they all accept cc.

Apart from the where you get the cash question I'd be very concerned for the fact they want cash and when you arrive. why cant they way till the next day so you could go to an american bank (citybank for example) and get cash. Be careful. I wouldnt pay in cash if I were you. If something is wrong with the apartment (or whatever you rented) you have no proof you paid, you have no way to make a complaint, no way to ever get a refund.

I think I answered to the cash question too. If the airport has bad rate I'd say go to a bank and get all the cash you need and that's it. and if you need more use ATMs. AT least this is what I do.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
what site did you book it from? It seems shoddy to me to show up with cash. Booking.com and Airbnb, expedia, sites that I used in the past to book accommodations in Europe, they all accept cc.

Apart from the where you get the cash question I'd be very concerned for the fact they want cash and when you arrive. why cant they way till the next day so you could go to an american bank (citybank for example) and get cash. Be careful. I wouldnt pay in cash if I were you. If something is wrong with the apartment (or whatever you rented) you have no proof you paid, you have no way to make a complaint, no way to ever get a refund.

I think I answered to the cash question too. If the airport has bad rate I'd say go to a bank and get all the cash you need and that's it. and if you need more use ATMs. AT least this is what I do.
I actually called Booking.com today. They said this is very common in Europe and the landlord will provide a receipt. And if there are any issues, I can call Booking.com back and they will either contact the owner or provide a different accommodation. There is also a direct phone number provided where I can call the management company.

152 reviews on the website, with a 9.7/10 rating average, where "Excellent" is anything over 9.0.

Not going to worry about it, but I appreciate the concern.

Really just trying to get the best rate I can for the cash.

Thanks,

Old 07-06-2018, 03:09 PM

390 posts, read 758,784 times
Don't understand why you don't just ask your bank Here in the U.S. Unless you don't have time...(they can tell you how long it will take to get Euros). But you will be traveling with a good deal of cash. Or see if somewhere will sell travelers checks in Euros. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2018, 03:19 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,064,995 times
Next to No one takes Travelers Checks anymore, There are "Travelers" prepaid Debit card you can buy.

The Fraud rate on Paper Travelers Checks is so high no one takes them.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:39 PM

7,673 posts, read 4,660,808 times
It's probably a manager problem. Last time someone required cash up front from me was in Prague. Dude with no shirt came out and said the credit card machine was broken and he was really busy. The place was all but deserted. Dude looked like a strung out ex-pat heroin junkie with tracks all up and down the arms. Even though the Czech Republic (at least then) had its own currency he wanted Euro. I had some but didn't like the vibe so I gave him enough cash for the night, and after swinging by 3 more times late night into early AM wondering about other cash...just 20 or 30, I said I was about to go to the bank.

Instead I went to a hotel I knew and checked in, came back and said I couldn't get the cash, prompting him to kick me out. No problem here, just picking up my last bags.

As others have said, pulling out from an ATM at a real bank location in country is usually your best bet. If you need cash right off the bat, you may want to bring it with you.

Just be on guard. Make sure you see the premises before you hand over the money. Make sure the place is what you bargained for.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
It's probably a manager problem. Last time someone required cash up front from me was in Prague. Dude with no shirt came out and said the credit card machine was broken and he was really busy. The place was all but deserted. Dude looked like a strung out ex-pat heroin junkie with tracks all up and down the arms. Even though the Czech Republic (at least then) had its own currency he wanted Euro. I had some but didn't like the vibe so I gave him enough cash for the night, and after swinging by 3 more times late night into early AM wondering about other cash...just 20 or 30, I said I was about to go to the bank.

Instead I went to a hotel I knew and checked in, came back and said I couldn't get the cash, prompting him to kick me out. No problem here, just picking up my last bags.

As others have said, pulling out from an ATM at a real bank location in country is usually your best bet. If you need cash right off the bat, you may want to bring it with you.

Just be on guard. Make sure you see the premises before you hand over the money. Make sure the place is what you bargained for.
Thank you.

I've decided to get Euros from the bank in NYC before leaving. I actually was able to get the "real" rate from the airport company kiosk. $1.27 per Euro. B of A is at $1.23. So that gives you the load they are adding. Why pay it.

I will walk around the apartment before making the transaction. The pictures and reviews are awesome though.

Appreciate the responses.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:06 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,581,686 times
Why don't you call a local travel agent in your city? They should know where would be the best place to exchange your money. That is their job to know these things...

Old 07-07-2018, 07:07 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,092,667 times
Changing money at airport Cambios is more expensive given that they have to pay a premium for rental at that location.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:03 AM

7,673 posts, read 4,660,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Thank you.

I've decided to get Euros from the bank in NYC before leaving. I actually was able to get the "real" rate from the airport company kiosk. $1.27 per Euro. B of A is at $1.23. So that gives you the load they are adding. Why pay it.

I will walk around the apartment before making the transaction. The pictures and reviews are awesome though.

Appreciate the responses.
No worries. Honestly I wouldn't worry about the difference. You're going to have fun and you can make up the difference going to off tourist restaurants and just pointing at expensive selections that are cheap by US standards and having a surprise in what comes out. Just make sure you tell your bank before you leave that you'll be in Europe so they can adjust their security functions on the card. Have a Plan B location just in case Plan A gives you a weird vibe, and don't keep all of your cash cash in the same place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel