Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 12:51 PM

29,577 posts, read 22,975,054 times

Advertisements

New Balance. Stylish and comfortable and doesn't make you look uncouth like wearing some basketball shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 02:01 PM

5,294 posts, read 3,668,136 times
I'm the same as Tek Freak, gratefully worn these for years now & worth every penny:

https://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-M.../dp/B005UV08MO

They are leather so can be polished up as "business casual" wear, nicer than typical sneakers in dressier situations.

Whatever you get though, get them soon if you are leaving in August! There is no bigger mistake in traveling than wearing new shoes on a trip, my feet ache just thinking about blisters & things.... you'll need a month to break in a new pair.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:43 PM

12,723 posts, read 7,662,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
If you wear sneakers or basketball shoes you may be pegged immediately as a tourist which may make you a target.
Yep, to avoid being a target I always wear leather shoes like Europeans so that nobody knows I'm a tourist. When I leave my hotel in the tourist zone they take one look at the shoes and assume I'm a local who works at the hotel. When I step off the Hop On/Off ope-top tourist bus they guess that I'm a local who drives it. When I walk around the museums they immediately peg me as a local who just goes to the same museums in hometown over and over. When I speak they usually looked puzzled because their brains can't fathom how anyone with these local shoes is able to mimic American accented English so well. I even removed the USA patch from my fanny pack.

Haven't been targeted yet.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:56 PM

16,469 posts, read 12,694,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yep, to avoid being a target I always wear leather shoes like Europeans so that nobody knows I'm a tourist. When I leave my hotel in the tourist zone they take one look at the shoes and assume I'm a local who works at the hotel. When I step off the Hop On/Off ope-top tourist bus they guess that I'm a local who drives it. When I walk around the museums they immediately peg me as a local who just goes to the same museums in hometown over and over. When I speak they usually looked puzzled because their brains can't fathom how anyone with these local shoes is able to mimic American accented English so well. I even removed the USA patch from my fanny pack.

Haven't been targeted yet.

Can't figure out if you're being sarcastic or not.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,916,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I'm the same as Tek Freak, gratefully worn these for years now & worth every penny:

https://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-M.../dp/B005UV08MO

They are leather so can be polished up as "business casual" wear, nicer than typical sneakers in dressier situations.

Whatever you get though, get them soon if you are leaving in August! There is no bigger mistake in traveling than wearing new shoes on a trip, my feet ache just thinking about blisters & things.... you'll need a month to break in a new pair.
I bought two pair last time. Companies have a tendency to "improve" things and I decided not to take a chance. They will probably last me the rest of my life. These things are tough! The stiff sole keeps my toes from bending too much, a cause of some serious pain at times.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:14 PM

9,906 posts, read 14,265,093 times
Two week trip to Northern Europe in 2016 and just returned from a two week trip to Spain/ Portugal. At least 5 hours of walking a day.....many hills and cobblestones.

My husband swears by these shoes. Total comfort and waterproof, to boot. Same pair for both trips and everything in between.

Johnston & Murphy Colvard Venetian - FREE Shipping & FREE Returns - Slip-On Shoes

I, went a different route and purchased some Avarcas. (They are for men and women). Super comfortable from the second I put them on, and great for long days of walking, hills and cobblestones.

https://avarcasusa.com/him/

Old 06-04-2018, 06:17 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,916,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Two week trip to Northern Europe in 2016 and just returned from a two week trip to Spain/ Portugal. At least 5 hours of walking a day.....many hills and cobblestones.

My husband swears by these shoes. Total comfort and waterproof, to boot. Same pair for both trips and everything in between.

Johnston & Murphy Colvard Venetian - FREE Shipping & FREE Returns - Slip-On Shoes

I, went a different route and purchased some Avarcas. (They are for men and women). Super comfortable from the second I put them on, and great for long days of walking, hills and cobblestones.

https://avarcasusa.com/him/
If you wear a size larger than 8, or want black, those Johnson & Murphy shoes are out of stock.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:43 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,255,846 times
I wear construction boots on my feet, and no other shoes in my baggage. Hermans or Brahmas or something cheap like that. They serve all purposes -- I can walk all day in them, and I never go to beaches. I get the kind without the steel toes, but TSA makes me take them off anyway.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:10 PM

9,906 posts, read 14,265,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you wear a size larger than 8, or want black, those Johnson & Murphy shoes are out of stock.

Sorry - Should have linked to the Johnston and Murphy website. All sizes..

https://www.johnstonmurphy.com/xc4%C...#sz=48&start=1

Old 06-04-2018, 08:04 PM

20,713 posts, read 16,550,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post

These definitely look sharper than the New Balance shoes and could easily be worn for many different types of occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel