Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 03:37 PM

70 posts, read 293,901 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I'm just curious as to how I can make money while traveling the United States. I want to go to all 50 states and a bunchload of cities! Is there a way I could make a career out of it or does anyone know of a job where I can do that? I know sales jobs you would be able to travel, but I'd really like to be self employed and travel when I choose. So really my question is, is there a way to make money just traveling from one city to another? I've seen the show $40 dollars a day, and I'm thinking Rachel Ray is a genius! She gets to travel the US and make lots of money! Any suggestions on what I could do would be great! Thanks!

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 03:54 PM

454 posts, read 907,011 times
Marry Rachel Ray. Scratch that. She's taken... and I'm first in line after that.

Independent long haul trucker.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:06 PM

ha! I'd love to marry her! Ok, I'm second in line. I thought of being a trucker before, but do they make good money? I heard they could make around $50,000 as an independent trucker, but then they have to buy a semi, and then all the repairs and gas, so would it be worth it? I'd like to have an SUV to take all over. I just don't want to have to worry about money. Maybe someday my lotto numbers will hit! :-D

Old 12-09-2006, 04:32 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,129,375 times
If you are a good writer, or have the wit, perhaps you can talk a publisher, magazine or newspaper into sponsoring you. Then you get to go and write about it for the rest of us

Old 12-09-2006, 04:53 PM

Wow! I never thought about that. I wouldn't consider myself a good writer, but I could always take up classes on it. Usually when I talk or write to someone I'm all over the place with topics and what not.

I really like that idea!! Who knows, maybe even a car manufacturer would sponsor me and give me a car! Wow! I'm starting to get a bunch of ideas now! Thanks soooooooooo much ONTHEROAD! Do you do any traveling or have a career that involves traveling??

Old 12-09-2006, 05:23 PM

454 posts, read 907,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleta View Post
ha! I'd love to marry her! Ok, I'm second in line. I thought of being a trucker before, but do they make good money? I heard they could make around $50,000 as an independent trucker, but then they have to buy a semi, and then all the repairs and gas, so would it be worth it? I'd like to have an SUV to take all over. I just don't want to have to worry about money. Maybe someday my lotto numbers will hit! :-D
They make money. not sure how much. But if money is a big issue, then switch to the big bucks industries:

Drug running
Bank Robbery

Old 12-09-2006, 07:13 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,129,375 times
I bet you could pull this off!

I have traveled a great deal and did a 13,000+ cross-country trip in '92 and wished I had taken notes and found a sponsor. I have been paid for an article or two and write extensively.

Perhaps we can go together (joking, of course).

And no I don't travel anymore professionally but did years ago. Now I am just contemplating another journey to the Pacific Northwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleta View Post
Wow! I never thought about that. I wouldn't consider myself a good writer, but I could always take up classes on it. Usually when I talk or write to someone I'm all over the place with topics and what not.

I really like that idea!! Who knows, maybe even a car manufacturer would sponsor me and give me a car! Wow! I'm starting to get a bunch of ideas now! Thanks soooooooooo much ONTHEROAD! Do you do any traveling or have a career that involves traveling??

Old 12-09-2006, 11:03 PM

Hmm...drug running ain't a bad idea! Only if it was legal... haha

I'm going to have to try this ONTHEROAD. How should I go about finding a sponsor? Should I right out a plan on what I want to do, where I want to go, and then start calling up potential sponsors? I should go take up writing and photograph classes! Maybe people would buy the pictures! :-D

You say you write extensively, what do you write? Books? or do you keep a journal for yourself?

Old 12-09-2006, 11:29 PM

603 posts, read 1,996,660 times
Hey if you figure out a way to make a decent living out of traveling all over the country, please let me know! I'm not that interested in truck driving or writing 'extenstively', so I think my options may be slightly limited...

Old 12-10-2006, 02:52 AM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
Truckers do make decent money, from what I understand, and also have very few expenses (living on the road, after all!). My best friend's step-dad is/was a trucker, and he eventually ended up owning his own fleet & making a nice life for their family. He hasn't been on the road in many years, though, since it's a rough life as you get older... if you're just interested in this "gypsy living" (which sounds great to me, btw) for short-term, it might not be a bad idea. I used to dream of being a trucker, but it's probably not the best career for a young woman - especially one who's not big & burly looking.

Other ideas: Writing, editing (online), roadie for a band , "techie" with a traveling show, sales rep at conferences & trade shows, ummmmm... cattle driver? Hey, you asked - LOL! With the internet, these days you can do lots of stuff on the road... drawing a blank right now, but I'll get back to you if I think of specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel