Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 07:32 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,358,337 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I (both U.S. citizens) are reviewing Cuba tour options for early January, but are having a bit of trouble deciding which one to go with.

One option is a study abroad trip through a local university. The trip is 10 days and focuses on Havana, with only one side trip to Vinales. The other trip is with Cuba Educational Tours: it's 7 days long and includes visits to Havana, Cienfuegos, Trinidad, and Las Terrazas.

We're rather torn between these options. On the one hand, we'd like to see several places, as the 7-day tour provides, but we also appreciate a deeper experience in one location. The university-led tour is themed around urban planning and architecture, with much emphasis given to study of colonial and modern buildings, different Havana neighborhoods, and urban farms/gardens. The 7-day tour does a little bit of everything--some city exploring, some exurban and rural exploring.

Both trips are fairly well-controlled with set itineraries. The university tour doesn't include many meals, so that would allow us to break out on our own a bit. The other tour has almost all meals included, but there's more variety in activities with a little bit of personal time.

I'm leaning toward the non-university tour, not only because of the variety of places featured, but also because there seems to be more of a chance to see different kinds of birds (I'm a birdwatcher). We like the academic focus of the university tour, though.

The university tour is around $3500, including all airfare and lodging, but not including many meals. The other tour is around $2100, including lodging and nearly all meals, but no airfare.

In a way, this post is just me thinking out loud, trying to figure out which way I lean. Any insights on all of this? Which kind of tour would you prefer, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:16 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,410,450 times
I prefer the go to Canada and get a flight down and do whatever you like tour.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:36 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,282,945 times
Really, some of the questions you need to ask yourself are:

Why am I taking this trip?
Will I ever go back again?
What do I want to learn on this trip (A lot about one ting, a little about lots of things)?

There is value to both trips.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:20 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,148,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I prefer the go to Canada and get a flight down and do whatever you like tour.
Very good idea. I can't believe the prices these tours are asking for. And that is at the still relatively poor country where I am sure you can find inexpensive food and accomodations. At the non tourist places...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel