Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 03:06 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,469,531 times

Advertisements

I've been to the area about ten times. You will have a great vacation. Are you staying at an all inclusive or regular hotel?

Don't bother with Chichen Itza. I've been twice and it's great, but it's a long long bus ride. It will take up your whole day. You should go to Tulum on your day in Playa del carmen. It's a great site and right on the ocean. You can even go snorkeling at the beach there. It's really great. Ek balam is also great. Hardly any tourists and you can climb the pyramid. It's pretty far though too. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ek%27_Balam

Playa del carmen used to be a charming fishing village. It's less charming now. it's a bunch of shops and restaurants. The restaurants can be good there. There is a bar there that has fire dancers at night and a good vibe. I can't remember the name of it.

Coco Bongo is okay. The Pirate ship is fun but pricey. Make sure if you do a snorkel trip they take you closer to the reefs near Cozumel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 01:39 PM

836 posts, read 1,038,912 times
Thanks Meyerland!

We are not staying at an all-inclusive because 1) it's a little pricey and 2) we plan on eating out at different restaurants and will be on many excursions so I don't think we will get our moneys worth. We are staying at a place called Sotavento Hotel & Yacht Club. Nothing fancy but it is in the Hotel Zone and the price was right! ha It's also right on Kukulcan blvd so I'm excited!

Chichen Itza I'm sure is overrated and have heard good things of Tulum, however Chichen Itza is one of the '7 Wonders of the World' lol so I really want to cross it off my bucket list.

Yes, pirate ship and other dinner cruises seem so pricey and I don't even eat seafood so I feel like I'd be paying for the fancy lobster when I'd rather just have a steak anyway lol

Old 05-01-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
Thanks Meyerland!

We are not staying at an all-inclusive because 1) it's a little pricey and 2) we plan on eating out at different restaurants and will be on many excursions so I don't think we will get our moneys worth. We are staying at a place called Sotavento Hotel & Yacht Club. Nothing fancy but it is in the Hotel Zone and the price was right! ha It's also right on Kukulcan blvd so I'm excited!

Chichen Itza I'm sure is overrated and have heard good things of Tulum, however Chichen Itza is one of the '7 Wonders of the World' lol so I really want to cross it off my bucket list.

Yes, pirate ship and other dinner cruises seem so pricey and I don't even eat seafood so I feel like I'd be paying for the fancy lobster when I'd rather just have a steak anyway lol
It is a great site and you can sleep on the bus. ;-) bring water and bug repellent.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:04 AM

I realized I never came back with an update and images (how rude of me!). So the schedule was pretty jam-packed. That's just how I choose to travel, vs. relax poolside.

Wednesday - arrived. Checked out the hotel amenities (we stayed at Hotel Sotavento & Yacht Clubt), in KM 4 of Hotel zone. Very safe area, friendly staff that let us print out tour documents. We then headed to Playa Defines across the street. We noticed many of the beaches are named after animals (playa langosta, delfines, etc.)

Thursday - Dancer cruise to Isla Mujeres! This was a viator tour my roommate and I bought for like $68 usd. Lots of dancing, fajitas, snorkeling (but sucky reef!), and a few hours to play at Isla Mujeres beautiful paradise.

Friday - Went to Playa Del Carmen's 'Maroma Adventures' which is a big fun playhouse for adults. ATVs, waverunners, camel safari. I chose the camel safari and her name was clara.

Saturday - Chichen Itza. Took your advice Meyerland and went during the morning. Sun was full ablaze though, but at least the crowds were minimal. We were actually the first bus there. Getting up at 4a sucked, but was overall worth it. We skipped going out this night b/c we were too tired

Sunday - Chill day. Walked around, ate tons of Mexican food. Went to the center area near Coco Bongo. At night we skipped going to Coco Bongo and decided to pay $80 for unlimited (watered down) drinks and entrance to 4 clubs (Dady O's, Palazzo, The City, and something to do with Cows? lol)

Monday (Mem Day) - Headed back home!

I'll upload some pics in a bit.

I'm now looking for 2016 memorial day trips! I'm thinking Peru? Or another Caribbean paradise?

Old 12-04-2015, 10:07 AM

Cancun Advice!-mx5.jpg

Cancun Advice!-mx3.jpg

Cancun Advice!-mx2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Cancun Advice!-screen-shot-2015-12-04-12.05.34  

Old 12-04-2015, 02:13 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,286,636 times
Do they still let you climb to the top of that pyramid at Chichen Itza?

Old 12-04-2015, 04:51 PM

No Jaypee it was a bummer! We just learned about what the steps represented and did the clapping exercise. But wish we could've gotten closer.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:23 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,286,636 times
I was last there about 10 years ago and they allowed us to climb up there - pretty cool.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:57 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,450,353 times
I know this is an old thread and you don't need advice anymore, but I just wanted to say that for the pirate cruise, you have a choice of steak or lobster or both, and you pay based on the meal you choose. I was afraid it wouldn't be very good, being prepared on a boat, but it actually was good. And the pirate ship was probably the most fun thing we did when we were in Cancun!

Old 12-09-2015, 01:00 PM

You should try Costa Rica. It's a lovely country and lots to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel