Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:16 PM

34 posts, read 198,697 times

Advertisements

We would like some help please. I am planning a surprise 40th birthday party for my husband next year and would like some advice on where to go.

Criteria:
1. Must be all inclusive
2. We are on a budget and are looking at $1200 for 2 people for 1 week max.
3. Can only be mid June or 1st week of Sept.
4. We plan to go Scuba diving once or twice
5. We plan to spend minimal time in our hotel. i.e. lots of clubs, tours to ruins, parasailing, swimming, etc.
6. We would rather spend our money on having fun and doing things than fluffy bathrobes in our hotel

We now that the Gulf side will have better Scuba than the Pacific, but I don't even know how the Pacific is. We want to hear from some real people. How is the weather typically those times of years? I know that Sept is during huricane season. We just would like an idea of where the best place to go would be. It sounds like weather is the deciding factor.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 11,174 times
I'd suggest that you go online a search for a condo in Puerto Vallarta. During the time you are going there you easily be able to find a nice condo for about $500.00 a week. I'm not sure about June or September but July and August are extremly warm and humid. The best months (weather wise) are November thru April.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:06 PM

26 posts, read 53,966 times
Look for "NUEVO VALLARTA". It's 15 minutes away from Puerto Vallarta, but it's newer and cleaner. The beaches in Puerto Vallarta have a lot of rocks, Nuevo Vallarta has definitely nicer beaches.
On the other hand, there's a lot of all-inclusive hotels in Cancun, and the beach is gorgeous (WAY better than Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta). If you want a place with less tourists near Cancun, but as nice then search for "Playa del Carmen". I'd go for that!!!
I don't want to confuse you, sorry but there's another option =) Ixtapa!!! Look for it too.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Been to both, but don't feel like writing travelogues right now... Depends on what you're looking for. In PV, you go to Nuevo Vallarta (not in the city) if you want a sterile, totally Americanized experience. Otherwise - the hotel zone. Cancun is busy, all the hotels have loud entertainment all day. You go there if you love night life. The beach and the sand are way better in Cancun. The jungle in PV is absolutely beautiful after the rainy season. Many cool places around to visit, too. If you want to just relax, I much prefer Riviera Maya to Cancun. If you decide to go this way, check <edit for advertising>
Wherever you go, enjoy!

Last edited by jimj; 08-18-2007 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: use pm for business recommendations please

Old 08-21-2007, 07:22 AM

34 posts, read 198,697 times
Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by okayokay View Post
Look for "NUEVO VALLARTA". It's 15 minutes away from Puerto Vallarta, but it's newer and cleaner. The beaches in Puerto Vallarta have a lot of rocks, Nuevo Vallarta has definitely nicer beaches.
On the other hand, there's a lot of all-inclusive hotels in Cancun, and the beach is gorgeous (WAY better than Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta). If you want a place with less tourists near Cancun, but as nice then search for "Playa del Carmen". I'd go for that!!!
I don't want to confuse you, sorry but there's another option =) Ixtapa!!! Look for it too.
Thanks for the help! It's so hard deciphering the websites because they all want you to spend your money at their place, so that is why I asked for the public's help. We have Cancun/PDC at the top of our list, but just want to make sure there isn't other places that we don't know about within our budget and time frame.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Been to both, but don't feel like writing travelogues right now... Depends on what you're looking for. In PV, you go to Nuevo Vallarta (not in the city) if you want a sterile, totally Americanized experience. Otherwise - the hotel zone. Cancun is busy, all the hotels have loud entertainment all day. You go there if you love night life. The beach and the sand are way better in Cancun. The jungle in PV is absolutely beautiful after the rainy season. Many cool places around to visit, too. If you want to just relax, I much prefer Riviera Maya to Cancun. If you decide to go this way, check <edit for advertising>
Wherever you go, enjoy!
I really don't get the censorship around here... I had posted just 2 very helpful forums on the areas (no different than this one), not any particular businesses. And even if they were businesses in Mexico, what does anybody care here? It's not like you sell vacations.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:06 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
Check out the website Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor for unbiased traveler reviews of hotels, condos, etc. all over the world. There is tons of information on Mexico and people review the places that they stayed at in detail; price, value, food, accommodations, amenities. Many people post photos too since the photos that the hotels post can be deceiving. I use this site to plan all of my vacations. I've been to both Cancun and PV and they are very different. PV is a small city with great architecture, a vibrant and walkable downtown and many things to do. Cancun was created in the early 80's specifically to be a tourist destination. It has lovely hotels and beaches, but the town itself is quite lame. It's best for people that like to hang out at their hotel or shop and go to nightclubs (PV has this too). The only thing I prefer in Cancun is that the ocean is a bit warmer and the sand is nicer. But PV has good beaches too and the town has much more character. $1200 for 2 people at an all inclusive is possible, but it may be a lower end property. The weather will be very hot when you go. I prefer to go in Jan or Feb, but it sounds like that's not an option for you? I've been to Cancun and PV many times (10+) so feel free to email me any questions. I post on tripadvisor.com and you should be able to find my posts under lisak64.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:18 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
I am a reasonably well experienced west coast of Mexico hand. I have a few months over the years and have sailed all of that coast more than once.

As a general rule one goes to PV from June to September only because one must. It is hot, it is wet and it can rain every day and sometimes all day. It has a classical monsoon climate.

You might get away with mid June...but it is not a great bet.

Cancun weather is certain to be much better that time of year.

Scuba diving is significantly better in Cancun. PV just does not have the reefs of the Caribbean.

I personally vastly prefer PV...particularly the area to the north. Even north of Nuevo Vallarta. But in the summer Cancun.

It is not even close.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:03 AM
MAB

103 posts, read 589,503 times
I much prefer Cabo San Lucas to PV and Cancun.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 16,897 times
As I Have Been In Mexico More Than Ten Times. I Have To Tell You That Mexico Is The Way To Go.
There Are So Many All Inclusives That Its Hard For To Choose Just One
Do It By Rating From Clients, But Don't Make It A Rule.
The Riu Hotels Are Great, Bavaros Are Wonderful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico