Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 11:05 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,111,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
They were moved from the British Museum to the British Library when the library was opened in the late 1990s.
Thank you so much! I was starting to think I must be losing my mind. But tell me, since it's a library, are those truly old documents on display for the public to see, or are they available only for scholars to examine in reading rooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 11:36 AM

16,726 posts, read 17,502,060 times
How long are you looking to be in the UK, and are you intending to revisit London at all?

Old 04-06-2015, 11:37 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,800,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have only a minute or so before I must sign off. I would have to say that this one sentence describes what to me would be a perfect trip -- with the exception, perhaps, of "the mythical Downton Abbey." We love the show, but aren't too big on seeing Highclere Castle, for whatever reason. We are kind of interested, however, in going to Port Isaac (the "mythical Portwenn" from Doc Martin). It looks like an absolutely charming little village!

By the way, how difficult will it be for my husband to get used to sitting on the wrong side of the car and driving on the wrong side of the street? We had considered traveling by train, but wanted more flexibility. The thought of the consequences of a momentary lapse of concentration absolutely scares me to death, though.
It will take you about a week to get used to driving on the left and you will be in agony from your shoulder and neck muscles being out of whack from your normal routine. We found it helped to pick up the car when we were heading out to the countryside, not when we had to drive in cities right away. September is an excellent choice. Be sure to read the trashy novel "September" by Rosamund Pilcher, set in Scotland. Have a wonderful trip.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
How long are you looking to be in the UK, and are you intending to revisit London at all?
We'll be leaving home on September 1 and returning home on September 30 -- so one full month. We hope to visit England, Scotland and Wales. Yes, we'll absolutely be revisiting London. We'll just want to skip a lot of the really touristy things this time around -- like Buckingham Palace, the Crown Jewels, etc. While we're there, we'd like to see some more unusual, less well-known sights.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
We'll be leaving home on September 1 and returning home on September 30 -- so one full month. We hope to visit England, Scotland and Wales. Yes, we'll absolutely be revisiting London. We'll just want to skip a lot of the really touristy things this time around -- like Buckingham Palace, the Crown Jewels, etc. While we're there, we'd like to see some more unusual, less well-known sights.
Thanks.

I'm lucky in that I used to cover the UK extensively and have got to see a fair part of it. I too like off the beaten track places.

I would second another poster who mentioned the Welsh Marches- the land on the border of England and Wales. The architecture and the scenery are marvelous.

I also agree with some of the other suggestions- the problem is narrowing things down.

By the way- want to stay in a proper old castle? Here's where I used to stay when I was one part of Northern England;

Lumley Castle - Unique Hotel in County Durham, near Newcastle, Sunderland, North East Accommodation, Wedding Venue County Durham near Newcastle

Old 04-06-2015, 02:36 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,991,736 times
I never literally "drove" in the UK nor rented a car.

The trains are quite efficient and I traveled also by by bus, taxi, and by foot.

Last edited by Clark Park; 04-06-2015 at 03:14 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 03:18 PM

I want to take a stroll through the UK ...

From Land's End to John O'Groats.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I want to take a stroll through the UK ...

From Land's End to John O'Groats.

What's stopping you?

Old 04-06-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
What's stopping you?
Money. (Or, should I say ... the lack of it.)

Old 04-06-2015, 04:40 PM

I just ran across a website which shows pictures of 27 beautiful small towns in Europe. Three of these were in Great Britain:

Portree, Scotland
Bibury, England
Tenby, Wales

Any comments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel