Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 01:18 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,771,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
We spent a week there this summer and loved Madrid, far more than Barcelona. Less touristy and had a more local feel to it.

Also we used 4 days for short day trips to Segovia, Avila, El Escorial and Alcala de Henares. Lovely towns. And a full day trip to Toledo at the end. There is so much to see in and near Madrid.
I found Seville to be far more interesting than both Barcelona and Madrid. My fav city in Spain.

As to those towns, yes, when you see the first one it is beautiful then it's just repetition. Every tow you visit an old cathedral, an old fortress/some sort of palace, an cobble stoned old town with small alleys and plenty of shops. One after another, all highly alike.

Toledo is cool, but then I read about Segovia and Avila, which offer plenty much similar things in a smaller scale, I lost interest in going. Just can't bear the idea of seeing another cathedral and another alcarza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 01:21 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,771,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likable View Post
I wanted to see the people and culture of the place. If they were white- great, if that is what is the historical norm.. Just like if I went to Africa and everyone was an asian immigrant, and I did not see any black or brown natives, that was be bad.
If you want to white people only, all you need to do is to avoid the large Eruopean cities. It is not like the UK or France lacks cities with 90%+ white population.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:28 PM

23 posts, read 27,639 times
I wanted to see the OLD Europe with the demographics like it had been for hundreds of years. Immigration is a relatively new thing to most European Countries.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:43 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,404,061 times
So what you really want to do is time travel?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:53 PM

16,721 posts, read 17,497,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
So what you really want to do is time travel?
Exactly.

Europe has been constantly changing over the centuries.

The geo-political face of the continent is forever undergoing changes and always has been.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:55 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,362,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likable View Post
Immigration is a relatively new thing to most European Countries.
It really isn't.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:20 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,969,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
It really isn't.
The 'not a member' under that users name should be a clue that she has no idea what she is talking about.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:53 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,692,500 times
Quote:
It really isn't.
So how are the Women in Vienna coping with the fact that it is no longer safe for them to walk alone at after dark? Must be pretty scary having to look over your shoulder constantly with fear of being assaulted or raped. Gotta be pretty bad when even the police chief admits it.

Hmm, and all these problems are just recent, aren't they?

More and more news stories are not getting covered up, eh.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:03 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,362,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
So how are the Women in Vienna coping with the fact that it is no longer safe for them to walk alone at after dark? Must be pretty scary having to look over your shoulder constantly with fear of being assaulted or raped. Gotta be pretty bad when even the police chief admits it.

Hmm, and all these problems are just recent, aren't they?

More and more news stories are not getting covered up, eh.
It's perfectly safe to walk on any street in Vienna at any time of the day or night.

I'd be more concerned to become a victim of a dschihadi mass shooting in the US considering stuff like San Bernardino, which seems to happen every other day now.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:06 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,969,324 times
Quote:
It's perfectly safe to walk on any street in Vienna at any time of the day or night.

I'd be more concerned to become a victim of a dschihadi mass shooting in the US considering stuff like San Bernardino, which seems to happen every other day now.
At the risk of taking this thread in the wrong direction, your concern is irrational, as well as the others concern about Vienna. Mass shooting are terrible events in the US and well publicized but are statistically insignificant - much less that the chance of being struck by lightening.
However, San Bern was labeled a terrorist attack of course, thus you can also say your chances of being a victim of terrorism in the US is also about as likely as, according to the below, "as likely as being killed by your own furniture".

Americans Are as Likely to Be Killed by Their Own Furniture as by Terrorism - The Atlantic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel