Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 08:56 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,614,488 times

Advertisements

That's just semantics. It's clear that is what the OP is referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 12:39 AM

249 posts, read 332,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
A hold on your card is not a deposit.
This is a very interesting point. Thank you for this! Maybe that's what it *really* is? I'll make a point to ask if it's literally a deposit or a hold. I just want to know if my card is going to get hit for x amount.

All I know is I've never been charged a deposit in the past. Not unless the hotels put a hold on my cc and I didn't know it. I would think they should have informed me?

I really appreciate everyone's input! Thank You

Old 01-03-2015, 06:19 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,778,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
That's just semantics. It's clear that is what the OP is referring to.
No, it's not just semantics. A "hold" never shows up on your CC bill. A "deposit" does and you only get it back if they process a credit to your CC or your hotel bill.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:23 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,991,817 times
Quote:
No, it's not just semantics. A "hold" never shows up on your CC bill. A "deposit" does and you only get it back if they process a credit to your CC or your hotel bill.
Exactly. There is a big difference between a hold and a deposit. I've never heard of that before. The hotels I've stayed at will just theoretically charge my cc for any damages I've supposedly inflicted after I check out. I am the cautious type, so right before I check out, I make a video of each area of the room in an attempt to prove that nothing has been damaged or stolen. I have heard horror stories about customers being unjustly accused and charged for items the hotel claims was stolen or damaged on their watch. Since these unlucky customers didn't have any evidence to the contrary, it was an uphill battle for them to prove to the hotel that they didn't take anything.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:25 AM

37,677 posts, read 46,114,125 times
I have traveled a lot, and I don't think I have ever paid a hotel "deposit". Now, I have prepaid for a room, in order to get the best price - a non-refundable amount. But I don't do that often, and I don't consider that a deposit. I don't think I would stay in a hotel that had such a practice.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:30 AM

37,677 posts, read 46,114,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
They never swipe you card? How do you manage that? I know for a fact Westin, Sheraton, Four Points, and Aloft place a hold on your card when checking in
Quote:
A hold on your card is not a deposit.
Correct. Placing a hold on the card when you check in, or even when you reserve the room, is NOT a deposit. And that is normal practice for a hotel.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,113,122 times
I don't see the problem here. Two types of deposits. one is that you'll show up and use the room, one for any incidentals or damages. In both cases you get the money back or funds released as long as you hold up your end of the contract.

If you don't want a hold on your credit card at check in, put the deposit in cash and you'll get it back at check out.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:50 AM

698 posts, read 961,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Love View Post
One hotel I called yesterday told me their deposit is $50 per night. WTF?! It's possible the gal misstated herself, but she should know hotel policy.

I'm planning a trip and not to have any unpleasant surprises I'm going to call every hotel I'm interested in staying at and check their deposit policy. What a pain, but better to be safe than sorry.
Call or view their policies online.

I would shop around and stick with the larger chain hotels.
I've never stayed at a hotel that charged a nightly deposit, they've asked for credit/debit card for incidentals which is pretty routine.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Love View Post
I know it's been a long time since I traveled, but when did hotels start charging a deposit?
one hotel I called yesterday told me their deposit is $50 per night. WTF?! It's possible the gal misstated herself, but she should know hotel policy.

I'm planning a trip and not to have any unpleasant surprises I'm going to call every hotel I'm interested in staying at and check their deposit policy. What a pain, but better to be safe than sorry.
Depending on the type of hotel and location, charging a deposit (which is refundable ) isn't all that new. In some cases you need to cancel a few days before arrival, in other cases you only need to cancel 24 hours or the day of arrival prior to 4 or 6pm. BTW, some hotels do not call it a deposit but a hold. To them, it is the same and no, normally they do not actually debit your cc unless you no show.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:58 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,032,476 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/trave...ncelation.html

Note:

Some hotel are moving the refundable cancellation times back to midnight day before...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel