Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,105,797 times

Advertisements

I have friends who have done this. They usually bought a throwaway to use while they were away, or had their phone shipped to them, depending on where they were traveling to. I haven't forgotten my phone, but I have forgotten the charger. I ended up buying a spare that lives in my toiletry bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 11:42 AM

4,571 posts, read 5,686,587 times
Default I didn't even OWN a cell phone for the first half of my life, I survived just fine.

Not everybody needs to be attached to their digital tracking device every moment of every day. I did without a cell phone for the first half of my life (they existed, but I never owned/used one), and I never felt like I was unconnected, deprived, or out of touch.

I only started carrying a cell phone when it was required for work. Even then, I'll turn it off completely when I go to sleep, if I am not on-call. How do you relax when you're a slave to little screeching box that can summon you to deal with a work or social crisis (real or imagined) at any moment?

When I go on vacation, I intentionally travel where my US-carrier cell phone will not work, turn it off when I leave town and don't think about it for weeks. Of course, this is getting more and more difficult with each passing year, now that even cruise ships have wireless voice and data (for a price).

Can't stand the idea of being disconnected? Get the free Google Voice service (or pay for a commercial equivalent that respects your privacy)
If you're the kind of person who lives for phone and text messaging yet forgets your cell phone sometimes, consider getting a free or paid "follow me" service. For example, with Google Voice, you can get a phone number that will forward your phone calls and SMS to any cell phone or tablet or computer you log into Google with, or you can just make calls to that number always ring both your cell phone and landline.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:28 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,774,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
To me, I call this BS, really you really left your phone at home, something people usually carry with them 24/7.

How many of you travelers have had this happen to you?
I don't carry my phone with me 24/7. I could easily leave my phone at home depending on the logistics.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:05 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,285,090 times
This thread belongs in Non-Romantic Relationships. It has nothing to do with Travel. The OP is just trying to catch a friend in a lie.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:14 PM

16,688 posts, read 17,462,312 times
How did we manage back in the dim dark past when there were no such things as personal cell phones?

Old 01-02-2015, 02:23 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,628,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
How did we manage back in the dim dark past when there were no such things as personal cell phones?
Postcards and pay phones. People send a lot fewer of the former now, and the latter are almost all ripped out.

To the OP, if I'm charging my phone before a weekend trip, I can (and have) forget it pretty easily. But then I don't make many calls.

More commonly before a work trip there's a risk of forgetting to pack my charger, and I forget that maybe 10% of the time. Rather than waste money on a new charger I'd probably just turn the phone off so it would have juice if I needed it for an actual emergency.

Being disconnected once in a while is refreshing, imo, and almost certainly healthy. Though now that everyone else has a cell phone (and few people seem to know how to read a map), it's much harder to get around without one.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:05 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,668,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Totally agree..Last yr my husband left all his meds on the kitchen table... Just forgot to pack them...THAT was a real pain!!!!

We just had that happen on our vacation.
Because of the nature of my Wife's illness, and not being able to expidite the meds, she had to fly back the second day of our vaca. Over the course of this vacation, she was in 8 airports
As for the phone, I would just get a Trac Phone from CVS or something, or just embrace being cut off from all the stuff you are trying to leave behind for a while ?

Old 01-02-2015, 04:36 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,106,939 times
I always leave my phone at home when traveling. That's why they call it "vacation".

Old 01-02-2015, 04:37 PM

460 posts, read 1,006,564 times
I often leave my phone at home. In fact, when I get home from work, I put it in the drawer, and only take it out again when I go to work in the morning. I probably would take it on vacation just in case I needed to call a cab or get directions, but when I go to places like Mexico, I never turn my phone on for a week at a time. I love being disconnected.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:17 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,447,318 times
I don't see what the big deal is here? I never bring my phone when I travel overseas, I don't want to deal with the extra charges. I communicate via e-mail or skype. I have gone on domestic trips also where I didn't bring my phone. Didn't miss it at all. Younger people probably have a hard time fathoming this, but there actually was a time before cell phones where people got by just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel