Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,846,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
My last trip to Colombia I spent around $3000 in eight nights.

Flight/Airport transit: $600
Accommodation: $600
Daily Expenses (food, tours, taxis, etc): $600
Nightlife: $1200

My last trip to the Dominican Republic had a similar breakdown. Could easily see myself spending the same in Cuba.

And no, hotel is usually not my biggest expense when I travel - if it is I am in a boring place I would rather not be.
food, tours and taxi etc for $600 is a bit too much. I hardly spend that much in Paris or London, not to say Cuba.

$1200 on night life, well, that's your chosen lifestyle, but definitely not something most tourists would do. Personally I think it is waste of money drinking multiple $15 cocktails (real cost $1) every night in fancy night clubs.

Maybe you make a lot of money (200k+), then it makes perfect sense and you totally deserve it. Otherwise, you simply don't manage your finances well, and such financial planning largely limits the places you can see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 10:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,309,599 times
Who freaking stays in a hotel other than to crash late at night when traveling anyway? I have a damn bed at home if that is where I wanted to hang out.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You are wrong on the discounted price, Follow it through to the point of payment. Suddenly the price is much higher. Also the quality of hotels is disparate between the packages for US citizens and what they are offering. The hotels that US citizens will be placed in are some of the best in the country. The hotels used for those Canadian tour packages are seedy at best, dangerous at worst--per Trip Advisor reviews. You can choose to stay in them, but you can't try to use a cheap package that only provides airfare (no baggage allowance), transfer to and from hotel from airport, and sub-prime hotels as comparison to what is truly an all inclusive package save three or four meals.
fine, you have higher needs (hotel, luggage, meals etc), which is understandable. but a lot of people are fine with non-upscale hotels, regular local meals, and no checked-in luggage.

I would spend $3000 on a ten day trip in west Europe, or some exotic places such as Galapagos or east Africa safari, but not on Cuba. Simply not worth it if one is not a rich person.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,330,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Who freaking stays in a hotel other than to crash late at night when traveling anyway? I have a damn bed at home if that is where I wanted to hang out.
I want to get a good nights sleep, and it's not going to happen in a dumpy hotel with questionable safety (including fire safety), a lumpy bed, smelly pillow, dirty bedding, bugs, paper thin walls, etc. I'd much rather spend the extra cash for a better place. I don't usually stay in the best place (French Polynesia is an exception), but I'm not going to stay in some crash pad where I'll be exhausted in the morning.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,330,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
fine, you have higher needs (hotel, luggage, meals etc), which is understandable. but a lot of people are fine with non-upscale hotels, regular local meals, and no checked-in luggage.

I would spend $3000 on a ten day trip in west Europe, or some exotic places such as Galapagos or east Africa safari, but not on Cuba. Simply not worth it if one is not a rich person.
Very few people can travel for a week on 10 pounds of luggage allowance only.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I want to get a good nights sleep, and it's not going to happen in a dumpy hotel with questionable safety (including fire safety), a lumpy bed, smelly pillow, dirty bedding, bugs, paper thin walls, etc. I'd much rather spend the extra cash for a better place. I don't usually stay in the best place (French Polynesia is an exception), but I'm not going to stay in some crash pad where I'll be exhausted in the morning.
making inexpensive hotels sound terrible won't help your argument. I mostly spend about $60 a night in European or Japanese cities (Paris/London excepted as it needs to reach $100) and never had trouble having a good night sleep. Never had smelly pillow or bedbugs. The noise sometimes is an issue but nothing a pair of earplugs can't help.

You are free to spend $250-300 a night in your Hilton or Ritz and admittedly it is nice to see all the beautiful deco and facilities, but for most people, it really has little to do with the quality and enjoyment of the entire trip.

most people on this forum are not that pretentious, fortunately, and are realistic about what their real needs are.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
making inexpensive hotels sound terrible won't help your argument. I mostly spend about $60 a night in European or Japanese cities (Paris/London excepted as it needs to reach $100) and never had trouble having a good night sleep. Never had smelly pillow or bedbugs. The noise sometimes is an issue but nothing a pair of earplugs can't help.

You are free to spend $250-300 a night in your Hilton or Ritz and admittedly it is nice to see all the beautiful deco and facilities, but for most people, it really has little to do with the quality and enjoyment of the entire trip.

most people on this forum are not that pretentious, fortunately, and are realistic about what their real needs are.

Exactly.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:45 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,639,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't have a home, I live in hotels. Only time I don't care about my accommodation is when I am working 16+ hour days and just need a place to crash. If I am on a vacation, I like staying in decent places.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:50 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,639,040 times
Quote:
food, tours and taxi etc for $600 is a bit too much. I hardly spend that much in Paris or London, not to say Cuba.
Not everyone is a cheap.

Quote:
Maybe you make a lot of money (200k+), then it makes perfect sense and you totally deserve it. Otherwise, you simply don't manage your finances well, and such financial planning largely limits the places you can see.
I am fairly good at managing my finances. Only make median income, and am able to spend roughly half my income on international travel ($20-30,000/year). Spending $3000 in a week isn't excessive by any means. What world are you living in?

Old 12-31-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Spending $3000 in a week isn't excessive by any means. What world are you living in?

I went to Malaysia (Borneo) and including everything, including tours (nearly every day), food, flights (9 total, 3 to Malaysia, 3 back, and 3 in country), etc from the USA spent less than that for over two weeks. I couldn't spend $3k in a week if I tried most places I've been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel