Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 11:43 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,359,966 times

Advertisements

I've been a handful of times when I still lived in Canada.

The only people that care if you go to Cuba is the Department of Homeland Security. Cubans don't care, and don't stamp passports, just the tourist visa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 11:51 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,749,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Only ever seen that question on custom cards for your destination country. Never seen the US ask which hotel you stayed at when you're abroad. Are you saying Canada does this? Wouldn't surprise me, a couple of my friends have been hassled by customs at the airport in Vancouver when flying back to Asia. Laptops searched and everything. Won't use Canada as an exit/entry point for this reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've never been asked for the phone number of my hotel. I've been asked how long I intended to stay, the purpose of my visit, and that's about it. In Italy they have never even spoken to me, just glanced at my passport and waved me on.
Yes, yes, sorry, as I explained I was thinking about entering the U.S. from Canada. My bad. I can't imagine the BP people at Pearson in Toronto "watching" people get off a plane from Cuba to see if there were Americans onboard--I doubt if they have time for that.

As for those Americans who live in Mexico or Canada, then there'd be little issue, as long as you don't get your passport stamped. No one would ever know. But back in the day, we didn't do that, because my DH didn't want to do anything to compromise his American citizenship, period.

I looked into the accredited tourist trips--very expensive, and I'm sure very restrictive.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:34 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,224,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Yes, yes, sorry, as I explained I was thinking about entering the U.S. from Canada. My bad. I can't imagine the BP people at Pearson in Toronto "watching" people get off a plane from Cuba to see if there were Americans onboard--I doubt if they have time for that.

As for those Americans who live in Mexico or Canada, then there'd be little issue, as long as you don't get your passport stamped. No one would ever know. But back in the day, we didn't do that, because my DH didn't want to do anything to compromise his American citizenship, period.

I looked into the accredited tourist trips--very expensive, and I'm sure very restrictive.
They do--a friend of mine got caught that way about six years ago. The fine was steep--I recall $5000, and he's been subject to absurd screenings every time he's re-entered the US since.

I didn't find the approved trips expensive, they seemed pretty reasonable.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:01 PM

19,471 posts, read 28,052,894 times
Quote:

Again, your reality is not the reality of most of us. You might remember that most people do not fly first class, stay in 5* hotels or sail on luxury cruise ships.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Again, your reality is not the reality of most of us. You might remember that most people do not fly first class, stay in 5* hotels or sail on luxury cruise ships.
Obviously plenty of people do or the companies that offer such experiences would be quickly out of business.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:51 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,626,932 times
i only make around median income and do all those things (aside from cruises) frequently.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:27 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,749,017 times
Quote:
They do--a friend of mine got caught that way about six years ago. The fine was steep--I recall $5000, and he's been subject to absurd screenings every time he's re-entered the US since.

Wow, well then live and learn!

The trips I've seen to Cuba are in the $3-5K range per person, for a week or ten days.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:

The trips I've seen to Cuba are in the $3-5K range per person, for a week or ten days.
I've found them as low as $2500 for a week, including transportation, tour guide, entry fees, hotel, and most meals. Very reasonable IMHO.

By the way, my friend has actually gone back to Cuba twice since he got caught. He's just smarter now and goes through Brasil instead of Canada. Me, I think he's playing with fire, but it's not my life and he's a big boy.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:25 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,792,241 times
Quote:

that's crazy.
I visited Italy for 9 days for under $3k. Cuba? Only explanation is these people are rich and budget is not an issue.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:44 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,187,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that's crazy.
I visited Italy for 9 days for under $3k. Cuba? Only explanation is these people are rich and budget is not an issue.

Yeah, these are the elite. Not real people.

Going through Mexico or the DR is cheap and easy. Don't do Canada. That's asking for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel