Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:25 PM

359 posts, read 1,100,697 times

Advertisements

has anyone ever taken a train from ny to vagas or cal. or a Canada train across Canada. i would like to take a long train ride somewhere in us or canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 06:30 AM

43,710 posts, read 44,473,033 times
I have ridden the train from Los Angeles to San Jose, CA. and it is all day affair as the train is quite slow. Also I have taken train from NYC to Niagara Falls which is also takes a full day. As a child I took a train from England (via ferry) to Italy and I found it to be cool at the time. Also I have taken high speed trains in China and the longest ride was approx. 5 hours at a speed of about 300 km/h which means it was a long ride in terms of distance.

I have a cousin took the train from NYC to San Francisco and she thought it was a good experience.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:03 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,911,177 times
I have a friend who took a series of Amtrak trips over the course of a month last year. She loved it! She went from Chicago to Seattle, then Seattle to LA. Then LA to Flagstaff, AZ. Then Flagstaff to Phoenix. Then Phoenix back to Chicago. By the way, Las Vegas doesn't have rail service at all.

I've taken trains from Auckland to Palmerston North in New Zealand; Lisbon, Portugal to Paris, France; and London, England to Edinburgh, Scotland, and loved all of these trips. It's a wonderful way to travel.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:55 PM

678 posts, read 698,521 times
I went to New York City from Kansas City by train it was soooo beautiful seeing the scenery inbetween. It was Kansas City to Chicago to New York which was about a day and a half all together. On the way back I went to Washington, D.C. To Chicago (. 6 hrs layover) then back to kc one thing tht was weird was the omish ppl and there inability to take a shower but other than tht It was amazing!!! And the seats were kind of uncomfortable

Old 01-01-2014, 08:24 PM

16,114 posts, read 10,779,224 times
I've taken 4 or 5 round trips from Kansas Ciy to Albuquerque...always with a roomette sleeper. If you can afford it I would suggest a sleeper. You have added privacy and security for your stuff. All of your meals are included in the price. The attendant in the sleeper car keeps a pot of coffee going almost all the time. Those are the pros. The cons are, of course, the price...pretty costly...and it isn't easy sleeping on the train. Roomettes are small -- there isn't much room in the upper berth. Sleeper cars are right behind the locomotives and they have to sound the horn at road crossings and that gets old pretty fast if you are trying to sleep. Sleeper cars have an upper and lower level....lower is noisier while upper sways more. That said...being able to stretch out on a bed and rest (or read) as you please is almost as good as sleeping and you will get a ittle sleep. Sleep aids might work but I haven't tried that. Folks on longer trips tell me that the 2nd night is easier to sleep. Dining cars are community seating....you sit with strangers but they are usually friends by the time the food arrives. I've met some very interesting people and always had an enjoyable experience. Maybe someone who has ridden coach on a long trip could offer a different view.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:59 AM

9,776 posts, read 7,491,769 times
I've taken a couple long ones: New York to Chicago & New York to Toronto a handful of times. Also spent an entire month of January one year riding the train throughout Europe. Oh yah also did a New York-Atlanta-Philly-Pittsburgh-New York vacation on Amtrak once.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:09 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,573,141 times
If you have 42 hours to spare, LA to Chicago is a heck of a ride; the 7-hour ride from Flagstaff to Albuquerque is so gorgeous so as to defy description, and watching the sunrise when leaving Flagstaff is a jaw-dropper supreme.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:57 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,604,222 times
I rode the CN from Montreal to Saskatchawan. Gorgeous scenery!!!

Old 01-23-2014, 02:49 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,167,359 times
In terms of long European Train Journeys, Sleeper Trains and Night Ferries, Mark Smith's Youtube site and his website 'The Man in Seat Sixty One' are quite interesting.

The Man in Seat Sixty-One - the train travel guide...

Mark Smith - YouTube

There are also lots of night ferry services with cabins operating from the UK from a multitude of ferry companies such as DFDS.

DFDSSeawaysUK - YouTube

New trains e320 trains are set to reduce the journey time between London and Paris to around 2 hours from 2015 and new direct routes to the South of France and direct Ski Trains from London to the Swiss Alps are also now operation, with further direct services to cities such as Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Berlin to be announced.

Last edited by Bamford; 01-23-2014 at 03:01 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,751,062 times
I had a Navy buddy from Burlington VT who got out of the Navy and wwnt home, changed his mind and re-enlisted a month later.

He said he went into Canada and rode the railroad all the way to catch a ship on the west coast. Stayed in Canada until he hit the west coast.

Said that was a highlight of his life.

Can you still ride the railroad coast to coast by staying in Canada ?
I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel