Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 PM

788 posts, read 1,272,780 times

Advertisements

I've posted on here before about being single for the past 5+ years because I ended a LTR, had my life fall apart at the same time as that ended, and having spent the past few years rebuilding my life. Well, I'm finally settled into my new career and new city and have some vacation time coming up. I used to travel outside the US a lot and have missed it, so I'm thinking about going to Europe alone for a week. Most of my friends are in relationships. The ones who aren't, either don't want to go where I want or aren't friends I could tolerate being around for an entire week. So that leaves me traveling alone.

At first, I was kind of scared of traveling alone because I won't have anyone to share the memories with or take pictures or any of that fun travel stuff. But even when I travel with friends, I often wind up doing things alone because we don't always want to do the same things. I've flown alone overseas and within the US numerous times, so that's not a worry. Mostly, I just don't want to feel bad because I'm alone. Also, I'm planning on going somewhere I haven't been, so there's a slight safety concern but not a big one.

Do any of you travel alone? Do you recommend it?

Last edited by katykat01; 01-24-2013 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 02:55 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,596,682 times
Yes, I often travel by myself. I haven't travelled overseas by myself, but I've travelled several places throughout the US alone. It's actually quite fun.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,396,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
Most of my friends are in relationships. The ones who aren't, either don't want to go where I want or aren't friends I could tolerate being around for an entire week. So that leaves me traveling alone.

Do any of you travel alone? Do you recommend it?
Yep, for almost the exact situations. Friends are married, not interested in those places, or did not have the money at the time.

As far as recommending it, do you really have a choice? I've been to Europe 11x, Eastern Canada 8x, and South America 2x on my own. All trips were fantastic.

Actually, if you travel on your own, you might bring back more funny stories. Even a man has to be vigilant, so I recommend that you would be more so, since I'm assuming you're a woman. If you are selecting paths that are well-worn (London, Paris, Rome, Athens, Prague), then I don't think you'll have much of a problem. Petty crime (wallet and purse snatching) is the biggest problem and personal crime is extremely rare.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 PM

Great! Thank you! I appreciate your responses, especially that I might actually have more fun traveling alone. Next step is to research it more and put it together.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Most of my overseas travel has been solo, and I highly recommend it, especially for women. Navigating your way through foreign countries can give you a tremendous sense of competence and adventure. For all that airfare, I'd want to stay longer than just one week, but it's better than nothing. Just be sensible, and don't jump into a car with a guy you've only just met (you'd be surprised how many women get reckless when they're abroad, and then wonder why they get into trouble), and observe basic precautions.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:10 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,611,745 times
I travel alone all the time, and always have a blast. Not only that, when you travel solo, you have alot more opportunities to meet new people, because as a single youre alot more approachable.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:10 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,016,606 times
Yes. I just booked the final part of a trip in June that I will be taking alone. So excited.

I enjoy meeting locals and doing what I want when I want. If I meet a cute guy, all the better.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:11 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,046,960 times
I'm not single, but I frequently travel solo. My work schedule is much more flexible than my partner's, so I have more time to travel than he does. Also, much of his family is in Ireland so a lot of his vacation time is taken up with visiting them.

I've been all over by myself: Europe, Asia, Central America and of course, plenty of American cities ...I've never felt nervous being a woman alone in any of the places I went to.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,783,055 times
I'm single and I did a three city photograph tour (Indianapolis, Columbus, and Cincinnati) in 2012 all by my lonesome. I recommend traveling alone.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:13 PM

Wow. Thanks! I actually only have a week, so I can't stay longer. Plus, I don't have a big enough travel budget just now for more than a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel