Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,700,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We're spending a day at Disneyland, we're going to the Griffith Observatory, and we're going to Muir Woods, among other things that require actually getting out of the car and doing something.

It's not ideal and for people who haven't made the trip before, I would recommend spending three week minimum on it. But for the road warriors out there, it's quiet doable.
Really? Where is your starting point?
We drive RT from MN to CA, hitting all the hot spots in and out, staying 5 days in CA and returned home in 9 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,292,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Really? Where is your starting point?
We drive RT from MN to CA, hitting all the hot spots in and out, staying 5 days in CA and returned home in 9 days.
The Orlando Florida area.

Depending on where you are in MN, you've got a 600+ miles jump on us--each way. You also probably don't have plans with friends on the way out and back and two formal social events to attend. Those little details will take up the majority of the free time we'd have for sightseeing.

I think you're going to feel very rushed in CA if you haven't made that trip before. I've spent close to a year's worth of time in that State and still have a lot of it to explore. Five days isn't really even enough for the highlights.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM

34,277 posts, read 83,643,817 times
Quote:
It's not ideal and for people who haven't made the trip before...
Like the OP who was asking "how much time for..." ?

Quote:
But for the road warriors out there, it's quite doable.
I'm a road warrior from way back... lets just say I'll define "doable" differently.
Maybe if I was doing an Iron Butt or a Cannonball... but still, not even close to "quite".

Being Pedantic:
Orlando to Anaheim is 2500 miles; to Mill Valley +500; Back to Orlando +3000.
Even at a very brisk pace of 65 mph net that 6000 mile trip comes to 92 hours behind the wheel.

That's better than 10 driving hours per day for each one of those 9 days (on average).
Plus of course the small side trips during each of those (10?) stops.

But if you're happy (and well rested when on the highway)... enjoy yourselves.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,292,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Like the OP who was asking "how much time for..." ?

I'm a road warrior from way back... lets just say I'll define "doable" differently.
Maybe if I was doing an Iron Butt or a Cannonball... but still, not even close to "quite".

Being Pedantic:
Orlando to Anaheim is 2500 miles; to Mill Valley +500; Back to Orlando +3000.
Even at a very brisk pace of 65 mph net that 6000 mile trip comes to 92 hours behind the wheel.

That's better than 10 driving hours per day for each one of those 9 days (on average).
Plus of course the small side trips during each of those (10?) stops.

But if you're happy (and well rested when on the highway)... enjoy yourselves.
Day 1: Home to San Antonio 17 hours
Day 2: SA to Phoenix 13.5 hours
Day 3: Phoenix to Anaheim 5.5 hours
Day 4: In Anaheim
Day 5: Anaheim to West Hollywood 2 hours
Day 6: West Hollywood to Paso Robles 3.5 hours
Day 7: Paso to San Francisco via Carmel 3.5 hours
Day 8: San Francisco to Napa 1.5 hours
Day 9: In Napa
Day 10: Napa to Las Cruces, NM 17 hours
Day 11: Las Cruces to Houston 12 Hours
Day 12: Houston to Orlando via NOLA 15 hours

Oops--I guess we're going for 12 days, not 11. Sorry!

We both regularly spend 8-10 hours or more behind the wheel in a day. We will swap driving so neither of us will become overly tired. We are both able to sleep in the car--snoring and all.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,700,710 times
Quote:
The Orlando Florida area.

Depending on where you are in MN, you've got a 600+ miles jump on us--each way. You also probably don't have plans with friends on the way out and back and two formal social events to attend. Those little details will take up the majority of the free time we'd have for sightseeing.

I think you're going to feel very rushed in CA if you haven't made that trip before. I've spent close to a year's worth of time in that State and still have a lot of it to explore. Five days isn't really even enough for the highlights.
True, but we go every year, swithing it up, this year my husband has his heart set on the Redwoods.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 PM

3,923 posts, read 4,599,949 times
Default revisiting threads today. :)

Interesting conversation here...

annerk you are truly a road warrior!
I can relate to what you say about taking in the scenery while driving especially in areas where the scenery is beautiful!
Since we're soundtrack junkies, (too many to count) we bring whatever we think will suit the driving. If it's open and grand we'll take something like Braveheart. If it's a winding mountain road with lots of trees we might bring something more intimate like Field of Dreams. Long boring stretches like going up the 5 through central California we'll put on something "driving" like The Bourne Supremacy or some other action music.
Yes, this is actually fun for us! LOL!!

Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 PM

Default I dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Sounds interesting, and certainly an option, but not sure I'd want to worry about driving other people's cars.
It's like mixing business with pleasure. "Responsibility" on a "vacation". Hmmmmm...
Know anyone who's done this?

Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,964,000 times
Haven't read all the replies, but I love road trips. Here's a suggestion for you:

If you have enough time between New Orleans and DC, take the scenic route. Backtrack to Baton Rouge, then take US-61 up to Natchez, MS. You'll see some neat old antebellum homes around Natchez, along with some cool old churches. From there, hop on the Natchez Trace Parkway. It's 444 miles long, with historic stops along the way (indian burial grounds, and things like that). The drive is incredibly scenic, just watch for deer! The speed limit is 50 mph most of the way (drops down to 40 mph around Ridgeland, MS). I wouldn't break it much if you plan on speeding -- the whole road is a national park, patrolled by park rangers.

The Trace ends around Nashville, TN. Book it over to Knoxville, and find your way southeast to US-441. You'll cross over the Appalachian Mountains. Turn onto the Blue Ridge Parkway just before Cherokee, NC. Like the Natchez Trace, the Blue Ridge Parkway is a national park, and incredibly scenic. It'll take you straight up through North Carolina and Virginia, along the edge of the mountains. The Blue Ridge ends at I-64, but Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park will get you up to Front Royal. From there, it's a short interstate hop to DC.

It'll take a couple of days at least to get from New Orleans to DC, but it'll be a lot more scenic. You'll see some cool historical sights as well!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Haven't read all the replies, but I love road trips. Here's a suggestion for you:

If you have enough time between New Orleans and DC, take the scenic route. Backtrack to Baton Rouge, then take US-61 up to Natchez, MS. You'll see some neat old antebellum homes around Natchez, along with some cool old churches. From there, hop on the Natchez Trace Parkway. It's 444 miles long, with historic stops along the way (indian burial grounds, and things like that). The drive is incredibly scenic, just watch for deer! The speed limit is 50 mph most of the way (drops down to 40 mph around Ridgeland, MS). I wouldn't break it much if you plan on speeding -- the whole road is a national park, patrolled by park rangers.

The Trace ends around Nashville, TN. Book it over to Knoxville, and find your way southeast to US-441. You'll cross over the Appalachian Mountains. Turn onto the Blue Ridge Parkway just before Cherokee, NC. Like the Natchez Trace, the Blue Ridge Parkway is a national park, and incredibly scenic. It'll take you straight up through North Carolina and Virginia, along the edge of the mountains. The Blue Ridge ends at I-64, but Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park will get you up to Front Royal. From there, it's a short interstate hop to DC.

It'll take a couple of days at least to get from New Orleans to DC, but it'll be a lot more scenic. You'll see some cool historical sights as well!
We've decided not to do the big road trip after all, but thanks for the suggestions The Blue Ridge Hwy is something we'd really love to explore at some point. It looks gorgeous!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 PM
NCN

21,669 posts, read 25,753,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
We've decided not to do the big road trip after all, but thanks for the suggestions The Blue Ridge Hwy is something we'd really love to explore at some point. It looks gorgeous!
It is gorgeous. We have traveled the entire parkway at different times. October is a beautiful time to do the parkway but it is pretty any time of the year. Don't rush it though. There are overlooks and trails to explore all along the way and to miss them is missing a lot of the experience. I would suggest at least five days for the parkway alone. That is about 100 miles a day. The Skyline Drive is an extension of the parkway except you have to pay to go on the Skyline Drive but it is part of the senior pass that we bought in the Everglades so it is good to be a senior citizen. Speed limit on the parkway is 45 at the fastest but some areas are less than that. Best thing is no commercial vehicles so the living is easy and tranquil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel