Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 AM

3,923 posts, read 4,599,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post

It has been much easier in retirement, with time on our hands, we have been able to incorporate the driving and stopping with local events, even if it meant going out of our way for a few days. For instance, we took a long way round so we could be in SD during bison round-up weekend (an experience not to be missed, IMO), in Banff (Canada) during Snow Days, in VT during foliage weeks, in KY during Derby, etc.
Sounds dreamy Ol' Wanderer...
BTW, is this road tripping all by car, or do you also have an RV?
If by car, do you have a favorite motel/hotel chain or do you do B&Bs?

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,068,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Sounds dreamy Ol' Wanderer...
BTW, is this road tripping all by car, or do you also have an RV?
If by car, do you have a favorite motel/hotel chain or do you do B&Bs?

Cheers!
Nope, we have never owned anything larger than a 4-door sedan. Some of our cars did not even have 4 doors, such as the Mini Cooper in which we drove across the US and Canada. As far as lodgings go, we mostly stay at hotel/motel networks where we can accumulate points for free nights -- for instance, Choice Privileges (12 brands), HHonors (10), Marriott Rewards (14), Starwood (10), Wyndham Rewards (10), InterContinental (8), etc.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 PM

3,923 posts, read 4,599,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
Nope, we have never owned anything larger than a 4-door sedan. Some of our cars did not even have 4 doors, such as the Mini Cooper in which we drove across the US and Canada. As far as lodgings go, we mostly stay at hotel/motel networks where we can accumulate points for free nights -- for instance, Choice Privileges (12 brands), HHonors (10), Marriott Rewards (14), Starwood (10), Wyndham Rewards (10), InterContinental (8), etc.
That's wise, that way you get discounts. I think Comfort Inn is part of Choice isn't it? They're true to their name in our experience. Very comfortable beds.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:05 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,700,710 times
Yes you can do that, I drove from MN to San Diego last summer, we stayed one night in OK and one in AZ. On the trip back we spent a few nights at the Grand Canyon then drove straight back to MN.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,295,202 times
Ive driven from New Haven, CT where I live to Los Angeles, CA.

a few years ago when I was 21 in my VW Gti mk3.

I left New Haven at around 10PM getting on I95s

-Got on I80w and arrived at Cedar Point in Ohio by morning. Enjoyed a day at Cedar Point.
-Made it to Chicago on I80w by the night and stayed with some friends.

That marks roughly 24 hours.

Left Chicago By noon and got back on I80w
Iowa
Nebraska
Wyoming
Utah
- I15s
- Arrived in Las Vegas before midnight and stayed the night

that marks roughly 48 hours

Had breakfast and left Las Vegas
-got back on I15s
-made it to Pasadena in Los Angeles by dinner time.

So that was less than 70 hours of driving, having fun, and sleeping.

I will mention I was with someone else that only put in about 8 hours of driving time.

The drive back I was by myself.

I left LA by nightfall, drove through San Francisco and stopped in Georgetown, Colorado to get a nights rest.

The next day I left Georgetown and hoped back on I70e

I stayed on I70e and drove straight though the night until I made it all the way home.

So... I drove non-stop from Georgetown Colorado to New Haven, CT. I think it was 27 hours total, only for food once and gas. 1900 miles.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,292,246 times
My husband and I are driving cross-country and back this summer in 11 days. We'll be seeing friends and sights along the way, and even attending two social events. (We got lucky--they are the same day about an hour from each other--one is afternoon, one is evening.)

That said, we've both traveled extensively through the US and this trip is more about seeing some friends and a few odds and ends of places we haven't been able visit before.

Our hotel rooms are already reserved, 100% free on points earned through business travel and my AmEx. We've got to pay for parking in a few places. Our only big expenses are fuel and food.

Last edited by annerk; 01-21-2013 at 07:25 AM..

Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM

4,806 posts, read 10,692,522 times
11 days, cross country and back...whew!
Having done several cc trips in cars and on m'cycles, I dunno what one 'sees' in those ~4 1/2 days out, and repeat coming back, but hope it's a good driving trip.
GL, mD

Old 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
11 days, cross country and back...whew!
Having done several cc trips in cars and on m'cycles, I dunno what one 'sees' in those ~4 1/2 days out, and repeat coming back, but hope it's a good driving trip.
GL, mD
Like I said, we've already "seen" a good chunk of the country--I've driven cross country more than a dozen times, my husband has done so a few times. There isn't a single place we are going that I haven't been before except Paso Robles. This trip is more to visit with friends (albeit too short with each), but they are scattered between here in Florida and San Francisco, so flying isn't a viable option.

We'll be stopping to see friends in Phoenix, Anaheim, West Hollywood/Beverly Hills, Paso Robles, Carmel, San Francisco, Napa, Houston, and New Orleans.

We looked at other options, but in the long run given our time, budget, and the way people are scattered about, this was the best way to see everyone we want to see.

By the way, we'll be in Anaheim ~62 hours after we leave Florida, that will include having dinner with a friend in Phoenix. We don't need 4 1/2 days in each direction.

Most of the "sites" we want to see are seen while driving--the coastal highway in California for example.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM

34,277 posts, read 83,643,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Like I said...
We looked at other options, but in the long run given our time, budget, and the way people are scattered about, this was the best way to see everyone we want to see.

Most of the "sites" we want to see are seen while driving--the coastal highway in California for example.
The point being made is that with an 11 day there and back time frame...
the "sites" you'll be *able to see* are only going to be what can be seen while driving.

Be safe. Hope you enjoy the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
How much time for cross country road trip?-tom-robbins_another-roadside-attraction_nick.png  

Old 01-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The point being made is that with an 11 day there and back time frame...
the "sites" you'll be *able to see* are only going to be what can be seen while driving.

Be safe. Hope you enjoy the trip.
We're spending a day at Disneyland, we're going to the Griffith Observatory, and we're going to Muir Woods, among other things that require actually getting out of the car and doing something.

It's not ideal and for people who haven't made the trip before, I would recommend spending three week minimum on it. But for the road warriors out there, it's quiet doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel