Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 04:44 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,726,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Great, I'll be there in May.
If you have the time I would recommend the Rocca Mare Open Air Museum on the outskirt which despite being touristic ( and full of Estonian School groups learning about the "old days") is in a lovely Sylvan setting and gives you a good impression of an Estonian rural village from the 17th to the 19th century ( interesting different styles of windmills too). EVM | Visiting information | Visiting information

The Independence Museum and Museum of Occupations were also great places to understand the background to modern Estonia and the present tensions between the Russia minority and the Estonians.

And not sure if you like Opera but as an Opera buff ( who has been to La Scala, the Paris Opera and the Fenice) I think the National Estonian Opera was by far the best. It was astonishing how even the chorus was of the most exquisite and highest standard.

Prices were also not quite as eye watering as in Western Europe. In fact it was darn cheap.... We exchanged homes with the Artistic Director and got free tickets for a couple of performances( and went back for some more we paid for we loved it so much)and it was one of the highlights of our trip. There was also a wonderful outdoors performance in the main Square by the National Opera on May the first and I think it happens every May the 1st.

We were there during one of the Folk Festival and it was lovely to see kids from all over Estonia ( and adults) in traditional costumes, singing and dancing traditional music.

We stayed in the Russian part of town which was a fascinating contrast with the Estonian side and is worth visiting to see Soviet Urbanism and how the other half ( well about a third I think) lives...

If you have the time drive or take the train/bus to Tartu a really lovely pleasant University laid back town in Southern Estonia and then towards Lake Peipsi into "Old Believers" "territory". These are Russian Communities who escaped from Religious Persecution in Russia ( They split from the Orthodox Church because it was too "modern") and in most ways still live an ancient agrarian lifestyle .

It is like stepping back in time 200 years in places. Lovely villages , with a fascinating style of agriculture in some places and almost a Stork on every roof ! I suppose they are the Amish of Estonia except that they seemed a lot more removed from the modern world.

We were mostly ignored by the locals but there was no sense of threat or rudeness just a very reserved community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 05:17 PM

24,165 posts, read 32,839,535 times
I think most of Eastern Europe offers tremendous value along with a Fairy Tale quality.Many Americans have now ventured to Prague, so that is well known.
I saw a poster mention Tallinn Estonia, is off the beaten path and is frequently overlooked by travelers.
All of the Baltic countries, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia have some pretty cities of that type.

Kiev Ukraine, has many narrow cobblestone streets and pretty views of the Dnieper River. Beautiful Fairy Tail like cathedrals with golden domes, winding streets castles like buildings,and colorfully painted homes that look medieval, and most likely are.

Really good exchange rate too. We really enjoyed ourselves and felt very "other worldly" in a good way. Most everyone speaks English, however, and they are more than welcoming to visitors.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:29 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,529,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think most of Eastern Europe offers tremendous value along with a Fairy Tale quality.
For some reason, Romania and Bulgaria fascinate me. I've heard that traveling there can be stressful...i.e. kind of scammy. I would imagine beautiful castles in the woods, actually setting foot in Transylvania, and being adjacent to the Red Sea might be interesting.

I don't know if I'm adventurous enough for, or interested in, Eastern Europe at this point.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,088,609 times
Didn't read the thread and I'm sure someone already said it but Prague is a really good one

Old 03-29-2012, 06:49 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,905,986 times
I would agree with Bruges in Belgium. Also Edinburgh and Prague.

Edit - *Lol I just seen the comment above me after posting, Prague fits the bill though so not surprised*

Old 03-30-2012, 06:26 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,402,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
For some reason, Romania and Bulgaria fascinate me. I've heard that traveling there can be stressful...i.e. kind of scammy. I would imagine beautiful castles in the woods, actually setting foot in Transylvania, and being adjacent to the Red Sea might be interesting.

I don't know if I'm adventurous enough for, or interested in, Eastern Europe at this point.
I spent 2.5 weeks in Romania last summer. It was wonderful.
The people were nice, prices reasonable.
I camped, stayed in very nice towns where homestays are the norm. I drove north (5 hours for 100 miles) through the mountains and valleys with potholes as big as an apartment to the painted monestaries.

I didn't make it to the sea because I wanted to go to Serbia and Croatia to visit friends.

I'm off to Salzburg and Bertchesgaden this weekend to try out my new camper van. It will be cold but the Easter Market and symphony are too hard to resist.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:31 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,480,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That'd be the Black Sea.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:17 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,854,551 times
Another vote for Bruges.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,529,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That'd be the Black Sea.
And I think I'm the geography prof...LOL...Thanks! Brain fart.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:08 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,353,796 times
Toledo (Spain) and Troyes (France) are good fairytale cities.

Other contenders include Freiburg (Germany); Strasbourg and Carcassonne (France); Avila and Santiago de Compostela (Spain); Dubrovnik (Croatia); San Gimignano (Italy)

The Alfama section of Lisbon qualifies, as does the medieval quarter of Genoa. Parts of Granada (home of the Alhambra) and Segovia (home of the famous Alcazar) also fit the bill.

It all kind of depends on what kind of fairy tale, though.

For a very big city, Barcelona has a significant fairytale vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel