Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:47 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,303,637 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised Japan was way down at #31. With the amount of influence Japanese culture has in America and throughout the world I thought interest in going to Japan would be higher. Anime and manga have become very mainstream and Japanese tech has always been leading the way. I suppose the language barrier keeps many people away. What a shame since it is such a lovely country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 12:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
The answer to the headline question is No, not for a long time, because it is too far away from countries that visitors are likely to come from. And long distance air travel in the future is going to become more difficult and expensive, not easier and cheaper, and fewer people will have the discretionary means to travel so extensively. Global travel has possibly already peaked.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:53 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Were you there on holiday or some other business? Maybe they had reason to be suspicious? Of the been people who have mean to China not one I've met has had any experience like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Okay I'll bite... what in the world are you talking about? My skepticism meter just pegged at 11.
We were on business combined with some vacationing time. We were doing PR work representing a major US business and the Chinese were very interested in finding out proprietary secrets of that company. The FBI and the US State Dept briefed us before we departed for China on what to do and say and to watch out for subtle tactics that the Chinese would try to get information.
Hope that answers your questions, that's all that I can say on the subject matter.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:44 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
We were on business combined with some vacationing time. We were doing PR work representing a major US business and the Chinese were very interested in finding out proprietary secrets of that company. The FBI and the US State Dept briefed us before we departed for China on what to do and say and to watch out for subtle tactics that the Chinese would try to get information.
Hope that answers your questions, that's all that I can say on the subject matter.
Ah yes that's not too surprising. The Chinese are understandably suspicious of the foreign media (which has tended to be a bit critical of the government) and is still somewhat closed-off.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:46 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I'm surprised Japan was way down at #31. With the amount of influence Japanese culture has in America and throughout the world I thought interest in going to Japan would be higher. Anime and manga have become very mainstream and Japanese tech has always been leading the way. I suppose the language barrier keeps many people away. What a shame since it is such a lovely country.
I think many do want to visit Japan, like my Japan-obsessed friend, but they perceive it as an expensive place to visit. In contrast Southeast Asia is much cheaper and offers a more 'holiday holiday.' Japan has always ranked as one of the most interesting countries in Asia to me and I definitely hope to visit one day.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:26 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,047 times
Quote:
What you experienced is atypical and hardly worthy of a recommendation to your average tourist.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:46 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
What you experienced is atypical and hardly worthy of a recommendation to your average tourist.
Not really. China like other Communist countries secretly do background checks on all foreign visitors when they apply for a Visa to their country. That's a little known secret. If they see in their investigations you work at or have some knowledgeable background in what they are looking for you may experience what we did. Also if you get caught discussing politics with a commoner they may get arrested and you may get booted out.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,870 times
Perhaps my reply would better fit on the political forum, but I would never visit Red China. Even if offered an all expense paid trip would decline. Those of us that are old enough to well remember Mao Tse-Tung and Chou En-Lai might understand, although younger persons may not. The ChiComs are not our friends. Behind those smiling faces they are the children of Mao, and they are our enemy.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Not really. China like other Communist countries secretly do background checks on all foreign visitors when they apply for a Visa to their country. .
Good Lord. You really think the USA does NOT do that. Right?

Old 01-22-2012, 08:57 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Good Lord. You really think the USA does NOT do that. Right?
Jtur, USA would never do that, we allow everyone who wants to visit USA to come without any visa hassles!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel