Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 06:51 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,660 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife are taking our honeymoon in Hawaii in late June/early July this year.

We are sill at the early stages of deciding what to do etc, but we are comfortable with how much time we can visit - therefore we are at the international flight booking stage.

Note that we are travelling from Sydney, Australia.

So.....after some basic internet searching Hawaiian Airlines comes back cheaper than the other main carriers (i.e. United, Korean, Qantas, Air NZ etc).

I know next to nothing about this airline, but can anyone tell me their personal experiences with them. Is the service good? Are they timely or renown for delays? What is their food and inflight entertainment like? Any other views/comments?

Appreciate any feedback here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 07:41 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
There new A330s have good in flight entertainment. They are known as a good airline. Not the biggest airline out there but they are good, I have never heard bad things about them.
They are also the most on-time airline in the United States. Of course this is because they fly to Hawaii a place that does not have snow and ice but they get the job done on their flights.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:47 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
By typical premium trans pacific standards, Hawaiian is average. By typical american domestic travel standard, Hawaiian is superior. I fly Hawaiian often on domestic and inter-island but only twice on a pacific flight. Hawaiian sufers from the same problem most airlines have, most americans could care less about service when they book flights, they are cheap and go for low fares. Hawaiian airline could not continue providing their traditional better level of service when the competitors charge less for crap. Most americans would flock to buy a ticket even if it means sitting in a porta potty if it was $10 less than a comfy reclining seat. So Hawaain has to lower prices to stay "fare" competitive and that does mean lesser quality service incabin. But Hawaiin is dominated by Pacific Islanders so the natural aloha spirt still comes through and they will always go beyond to make your flight a good flight.

I would say try them out since everyones experince is different. They do have the lowest complaints of all american domestic carriers of their size.

Congrates on the honeymoon in Hawaii, you will find it a overwhelming place to visit because of the diversity of the 6 main islands. Please don;t try and do too much and not get to enjoy it. If you are island hopping, Hawaiin will be the main carrier recommended. There is go! airlines, but they are some slocky mainland carrier and why they are still allowed to fly, is anyone's guess.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
By typical premium trans pacific standards, Hawaiian is average. By typical american domestic travel standard, Hawaiian is superior. I fly Hawaiian often on domestic and inter-island but only twice on a pacific flight. Hawaiian sufers from the same problem most airlines have, most americans could care less about service when they book flights, they are cheap and go for low fares. Hawaiian airline could not continue providing their traditional better level of service when the competitors charge less for crap. Most americans would flock to buy a ticket even if it means sitting in a porta potty if it was $10 less than a comfy reclining seat. So Hawaain has to lower prices to stay "fare" competitive and that does mean lesser quality service incabin. But Hawaiin is dominated by Pacific Islanders so the natural aloha spirt still comes through and they will always go beyond to make your flight a good flight.

I would say try them out since everyones experince is different. They do have the lowest complaints of all american domestic carriers of their size.

Congrates on the honeymoon in Hawaii, you will find it a overwhelming place to visit because of the diversity of the 6 main islands. Please don;t try and do too much and not get to enjoy it. If you are island hopping, Hawaiin will be the main carrier recommended. There is go! airlines, but they are some slocky mainland carrier and why they are still allowed to fly, is anyone's guess.
I see you think cheap flying is an american thing. Lets not forget the first airline that really started ultra low fair flights Ryanair in Europe. Easy Jet, Vueling, Air Berlin etc.. Plenty of cheap law fare airlines outside of the US.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,660 times
Guys,

Thanks for your valuable contributions - it certainly helps to hear people's perspectives of them.

I guess up to one week ago I'd never heard of them. I started doing some searching on flights from Australia and they consistently came up the cheapest. We have a budget airline here called Jetstar which fly there quite cheaply, but personally I have had bad experiences with them so would prefer to use an alternative carrier. Based on your comments, we'll go with them!

We are very excited about this trip. I've posted a thread in the Hawaii section re: trip ideas and our trip is starting to take shape - we'll be there for around 10 days and spend time in both Kaua'i and Oahu (a mix of relaxation, culture, shopping, snorkeling and maybe hiking)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel