Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:50 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

Just read an article on the 2014 Corolla. On the plus side, they increased rear seat leg room, reviews said better seat material for better comfort, and for those who are looking for simple point A to point B transportation, they kept their reliable 1.8L engine. Whether you love or hate CVT transmission, the Corolla has switched to CVT for much improved fuel economy. In Eco LE without certain options, it is rated at 42 mpg hwy. If you like to shift gears yourself, the S model offers a 6 speed manual transmission. The S model offers more road feel but is not a canyon carver. Interior looks better than previous model. Since I drive to and from work with no curving roads to have fun on, I'd consider getting this car for it's reliability and fuel economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 06:56 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
The base car has a 6 spd manual. I would think this is the better choice for those who do not want to worry about the durability of a CVT transmission. It probably gets really good gas mileage at freeway speeds in 6th?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Just read an article on the 2014 Corolla. On the plus side, they increased rear seat leg room, reviews said better seat material for better comfort, and for those who are looking for simple point A to point B transportation, they kept their reliable 1.8L engine. Whether you love or hate CVT transmission, the Corolla has switched to CVT for much improved fuel economy. In Eco LE without certain options, it is rated at 42 mpg hwy. If you like to shift gears yourself, the S model offers a 6 speed manual transmission. The S model offers more road feel but is not a canyon carver. Interior looks better than previous model. Since I drive to and from work with no curving roads to have fun on, I'd consider getting this car for it's reliability and fuel economy.
I like your name.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,382,580 times
Still rides on the same old 2006 platform, still offers a 4-speed auto (on the base trim), and still has the same carryover, underpowered 1.8L engine. What's crazy is that the Eco model has the same 1.8L engine but with direct injection, achieving a slightly better 140 hp and better mpg, yet it's only offered on that one trim level and Toyota only expects to sell 10% of Corollas in Eco trim. What was Toyota thinking not making this engine standard across the lineup, or at least making it optional on LE and standard on S?

Despite a slicker new wrapper, this car is already outclassed by others compacts that have been around for a couple years. I will be shocked if this is still the best selling compact in the coming years. Toyota's lukewarm makeover of the Camry and now the Corolla make me wonder what is going on over in Torrance.

Last edited by mustang84; 08-28-2013 at 07:43 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 06:48 AM

470 posts, read 1,664,195 times
Jalopnik's headline for their review was the best: The 2014 Toyota Corolla is 2003's Best New Car.

Most of the car was a carry over from 2006. This car is more of a heavy refresh of the 2006 car than an all new car. They even carried over the 4 speed automatic for the base trim!

There are much more competative vehicles out there for the price.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:42 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Despite a slicker new wrapper, this car is already outclassed by others compacts that have been around for a couple years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
There are much more competative vehicles out there for the price.
Specific recommendations in this class please? Keep in mind that besides looks, handling, sportiness, etc., reliability and fuel economy are very important to most motorists. Corollas spend very little time in the shop having repairs done, and 40 mpg on the highway if you don't leadfoot it is hard to beat.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:47 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
I really think Toyota took the safe way out. They had a cool concept and then went safe but I still think it will continue to sell pretty well.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I don't understand why they didn't use the Camry's 6 speed automatic in the Corolla.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:41 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
It's indeed a reliable car - we had one that went over 250K with basic maintenance. Fuel economy was good too.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:32 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I haven't done enough research on 2014 models to have any say, but the 2013 corolla was rather lackluster compared to competing models.

I've been debating stick vs auto and I've come to the conclusion my personality type favors an auto.. I just want to push the pedal and go without thinking about it. I can appreciate people who love manuals though. Tough call because I like the focus I just don't want to deal with those transmissions.

If you want a manual I'd suggest test driving the focus. The 5 speed manual they use is well made and very reliable and easy to shift. It revs about the same RPMs at highway speeds as the civic Si I was riding in.. the extra 6th gear isn't really needed if it's not going to be a highway overdrive gear. Girl who owns the Si ends up starting in second and going 2/4/6 with her shifts a lot.

Last edited by sholomar; 08-29-2013 at 07:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion