Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:58 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,593,612 times

Advertisements

I really like the front end of the S model, back end not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 08:58 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,629,089 times
I really like how they came out with a car almost as good as the Mitsubishi Lancer.

Seriously, 4 speed auto on a 2014? Come on, that's pathetic. Even if it's only on the rental-fodder model. Never should have allowed that, they should have put the CVT there, and avoided the fossil-speed as a point. Marketing-wise it's a serious problem, and takes away from the work they did on the CVT, making it act pretty much like a 7 speed automatic. Without the dinomatic, the CVT becomes a focal point. Bad decision.

No DI or FI on their engine, I ding Hyundai's Elantra for this, only fair to ding the Corolla as well. Their 1.8L is a pathetic engine in 2014. Everyone's doing forced induction, direct injection, lean burn, variable intakes, or some other advanced engine technology. Toyota's barely got CVVT going, and only on the Eco trim? (The rest get non-continuous Variable Valve Timing). Even Honda's got variable intake manifolds combined with their VVT system. What's next, a pushrod four? The next-gen Iron Duke?

I do see that Toyota is finally starting to develop a design language and a corporate mug. That's also overdue. Toyotas should look like Toyotas, and people should be able to instantly say "That's a Toyota." Instead of just looking at it and yawning as a reflex.

I think Toyota sunk a few too many resources into hybrid tech. Well and good for the Prius and the Camry Hybrid etc etc, but the Corolla is the red-headed stepchild here, because none of that juicy hybrid tech can be applied to it without potentially hurting Prius sales. Which is why there will never be a Corolla Hybrid.

I just don't see where they're going with Corolla. They're treading water at best here. Might be time to retire it and go all-in on the Prius as their new premier C-segment vehicle. That's the one that seems to be getting the bulk of the R&D dollars. Not to mention attention from a media that gets a thrill up it's leg when it comes to green tech.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:57 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,274,545 times
Same old car, with some new sheet metal. Still looks boring as all hell, still dosnt get the mpg it should. No passion, no soul just basic transportation. Thats fine for most and I guess thats why it sells so well

Old 09-05-2013, 10:52 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,910,344 times
I'd hate life if I had to drive 15k miles a year in a Corolla or a similar sh*tbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion