Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:09 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,881,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
Yes, tomorrow. My last 20 hours in the US...[sigh]
Have a safe drive up here, I assume you managed to get an apartment and everything sorted out then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 05:14 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,944,720 times
I've always found the US Customs wait at Sarnia to be pretty bad during peak hours, worse than Detroit. Going into Canada, Windsor and Sarnia are pretty close timewise.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 PM

355 posts, read 2,378,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Have a safe drive up here, I assume you managed to get an apartment and everything sorted out then?
Thanks, the rain did not help, though, so I'm stuck at a motel someplace in the Burlington/Hamilton area. Drivers on the QEW would not slow down a bit, even when at times it was raining pretty hard. I decided it was not worth the risk.

Regarding the apartment, I settled for a basement room in a family house with private bath and smal cooking space for the summer. I thought that by renting a room from a family with small kids I would increase the chances of living in a safe, family-oriented neighbourhood, and the chances of it being a clean environment (e.g., not a landlord dealing weed from his room).

The area is Ossington/Bloor, which I'll explore in more detail in the days to come. I'll be looking for community centers with recreational activities, arts and crafts groups, etc., where I can meet new people, as well as mom and pop bakeries.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:41 PM

355 posts, read 2,378,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
As in tomorrow? Let me know how it goes because I'm looking into driving up some time this summer to see family.
So, this is how it went down: because I misread the road signs, I ended up crossing at Niagara Falls. There was a line of booths, where a customs officer asked you basic questions (the purpose of your visit, the place you are staying at, etc.). If you are not chosen for further questions, you are indicated to follow the right lane, which takes you out of the customs area. If you are chosen, you are given a yellow stub, asked to follow the left lane, and report to the customs officers inside a medium-size building. You are asked to have your flashers on all the time as you drive in that area.

An immigration officer then asks similar questions as the previous person, but asking for more details, and asking to see documentation that supports your statements (e.g., a hotel reservation). In my case, I guess a carload of household items was a giveaway that I was not visiting for a couple of days, so all the questions revolved around what I was planning to do, for how long, and mostly "why?" (that was the question they asked the most).

They never asked to see any document regarding my car, e.g., title, registration, insurance, etc., which I had prepared for. They did not even search the car, nor did they seem to care about the NY tag. But again, in my case they had other things they were curious about, so that took their attention away from my car.

Other people in the waiting room with me were a middle-aged mother and her daugher, a girl in her early twenties, an older man, a younger guy who was being sent back to the US (with notice that he would be put in jail if he tried to enter Canada again) and a mixed-race couple who was the object of deliberations (and who actually got their car searched).

It was difficulty to see a discernable pattern of who they would select for further scrutiny.

I spent around 20 minutes there, almost the last one to arrive but the first one to get out.

In terms of convenience, speed, etc., it would be interesting to compare this with other border crossings.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:43 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,975,603 times
Too late now, but for a Canadian crossing into the US, I take Sarnia every single time. US customs at Detroit at unpleasant and downright hateful at times, whereas they're pretty pleasant in Port Huron.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:49 AM

332 posts, read 827,353 times
thanks for all the replies. I guess we don't have to import our car since we are there under a 2 year work visa. but, we do need car insurance within 30 days. I choose Sarnia to go through. I will be in Canada in 2 weeks. thanks for the border crossing stories and links.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:51 PM

9,325 posts, read 22,125,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Too late now, but for a Canadian crossing into the US, I take Sarnia every single time. US customs at Detroit at unpleasant and downright hateful at times, whereas they're pretty pleasant in Port Huron.
Oh don't get me started about US customs in Detroit. Hateful. I was pulled over and my car searched and yelled at; this one customs officer waved me through and I thought he meant I should go ahead and the guy in the booth was pissed at me through no fault of mine; I misunderstood the first guy. Ugh.

On my way back to Canada I crossed in Sarnia and the Canadian customs woman smiled and waved at me through the glass window and waved me through. I had a Nexus pass.

Oh if you plan to cross the border regularly, I'd look into getting a Nexus pass. You go through the border quicker (in general) in separate lanes as a trusted traveller.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,672,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle_pal View Post
thanks for all the replies. I guess we don't have to import our car since we are there under a 2 year work visa. but, we do need car insurance within 30 days. I choose Sarnia to go through. I will be in Canada in 2 weeks. thanks for the border crossing stories and links.
If you go into Canada at International falls Mn you will have one of the most beautiful drives on the north American continent. From Mn to either Detriot or Sarnia is a real boring drive. From Thunder Bay to Sault Ste Marie is just incredible. I drove it a few weeks ago and I saw Moose, Beaver, A couple of wolves and a few bears along the way besides the incredible scenery.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:17 AM

984 posts, read 2,733,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
If you go into Canada at International falls Mn you will have one of the most beautiful drives on the north American continent. From Mn to either Detriot or Sarnia is a real boring drive. From Thunder Bay to Sault Ste Marie is just incredible. I drove it a few weeks ago and I saw Moose, Beaver, A couple of wolves and a few bears along the way besides the incredible scenery.
I agree on this. I've done that trip from Thunder Bay to Toronto many times. The road follows the north shore of Lake Superior and the view are spectacular. You can also detour a bit and go through Manitoulin Island and take the car ferry across. It adds some time but you get a break from driving while on the ferry. Welcome to the MS Chi-Cheemaun - Tobermory Ferry to Manitoulin Island

Old 06-25-2010, 08:37 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,883,468 times
Sarnia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto