Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,559 times

Advertisements

Good Evening friendly folks,

My situation is rather long & complex so feel free to get comfortable! Firstly, a bit about me - I'm a 22 year old UK citizen (London) who recently graduated with a 1st class BSc (Hons) in Computing with Business Management and will be beginning an MSc in International Management at Kings College London in a few weeks.

Clearly this puts my plans to move to Canada on the back burner for at least 12 months - ample time, I hope, to work out how to move forward with this. I have a number of options available in order to gain residence in Toronto ON but my priority is obviously to get work and independence.

Co-incidentally, my long term girlfriend has held permanent residence status in Canada since before I met (a cruel co-incidence IMHO). Unfortunately, she'll be leaving me at some point in order to fulfil her time obligations so she can become a proud Canadian citizen. Obviously I'd like to go with her but I'm not sure if it is feasible.

On the other hand I have a number of relatives living as Canadian citizen (an uncle, aunt, 2 cousins and various nieces & nephews). The combination of these are more than able & happy to sponsor me but I have no idea where or how to begin! I've done my research, however I'm certainly out of my depth here. September 2010 I leave KCL with an MSc, but I also want the opportunity to apply my fresh skills and experience in Toronto. Please help!

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 04:20 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,035,869 times
Did you google citizenship and immigration (CIC) Canada?
Thats your first step, there is a test to see if you qualify.
Your best bet truly is CIC.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:12 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,758,300 times
Yup, Citizenship and Immigration Canada is the legislative department which controls immigration into Canada.

Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

On the above web site you'll find all your various options spelled out.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:00 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,965,038 times
It could take longer than you think to get your papers.
Immigration wait times are listed here by category & country of application:
Application Processing Times: Applications Processed Outside of Canada

Old 09-07-2009, 05:21 AM

3 posts, read 5,559 times
Yeah I've spent many hours on these pages and got 99% of the relevant information, but despite my Computing degree I still can't quite calculate what the easiest option is!

I could:

- apply by myself as a Skilled Worker
- marry my girlfriend (I hope she doesn't find this page! ) and have her sponsor me whilst she is still in the UK/after she has left for Canada
- speak to the Canadian wing my family to have them sponsor me from Canada

I think the crux of my problems lies with working out which of these take and how much time I have to spend during the application process. Argubly the faster I get to Canada the quicker I can get to work and start building my Canadian future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto