Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:20 AM

6 posts, read 32,182 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Toronto in mid august or early sept., and we are trying to rent an apartment now. Our budget is limited (as I have a job lined up, and he will have an open work permit, but no job yet...so we are trying to be conservative). We don't want to get the slim pickings left over after all the students rent for the fall in the down town area, hehe. Also, I am one of those "plan everything" types, so I am not cool with just showing up in Toronto and finding an apartment in a couple of days. It will drive me nuts between now and then if we do that.

Due to my work schedule, we cannot go visit even for a weekend to check out a place we are interested in. The apartment we are looking at (83 Gloucester...yes, I already know it's gay town hehe...bestfriend is gay, I love gays, etc =) has pics of the building and a few of the interior areas of a model. The pics look acceptable, but I don't want to get dooped.

The good news: I cannot find any bad information about it (even on websites like myhood.ca). so I am hoping no news is good news? I know that, in my past experience, I mostly seek out websites and post reviews when I have had a terrible living experience.

Any advice? Should I post an ad on craigslist, see if anyone will go down and check it out for us, take pics for a small fee, etc? I feel a sense of urgency to make a decision soon as this building seems perfect for us (low-rise, only 27 units, great location close to yonge east line and downtown, moderate price), but am wondering if there is an angle I am not seeing? Maybe something about renters rights I don't know that could help, etc. Opinions and advice welcome. Any of you familiar with this building, area, etc? Most of what I have read says north of Carlton, west of Jarvis is a pretty safe area of downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 PM

7 posts, read 19,478 times
Post Questions for people who live in apartments

I had a few questions for people who live in apartments, mainly one or two bedroom apartments. Toronto was one of the places I considered moving to in Canada, hearing its a big city a job should be easier to find after relocating.

Right now if anyone whom lives in a apartment can answer these questions it would be of great help for me to figure out how much to save, area to look into, and such. I'm single and to answer why I would be interested in a two bedroom is that either the other room can be used to find a flatmate to ease up on bills or a small office later on.

Area: Where in Toronto do you live in
Salary: The net amount you currently make (quite personal but useful)
Rent: Basic info (if you have a flatmate just mention the whole amount)
Utilities: Cost of electric, water, internet
Transportation: What is available nearby to get from point A to B
Work: Whats around as a source of income (retail, offices, ect)
Health: Nearby doctors offices and dentists if any
Useful info: Small info about your location and possible things to do

Old 08-25-2010, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,627 times
Default I need information on 210 Wychwood Avenue apartment, Toronto

my child (from Halifax) will study at UofT and I saw 210 Wychwood Avenue apartment online and think to rent for her. This building looks very nice but I do not know about the building at all.

If you know about this building good or bad, could you give me any information.

Thank you very much

concerned mom

Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax2 View Post
my child (from Halifax) will study at UofT and I saw 210 Wychwood Avenue apartment online and think to rent for her. This building looks very nice but I do not know about the building at all.

If you know about this building good or bad, could you give me any information.

Thank you very much

concerned mom

Here's a link to bedbug reports for that address (from 2008, though):

http://bedbugregistry.com/location/ON/M6C/Toronto/210-Wychwood-Ave

Also, here's a recent garage sale from someone living at that address:
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/gms/1906607571.html

Maybe you can email them and ask if they would share their opinion of the building.

And here's a June 2010 article which media contact information lists 210 Wychwood as their address (again, a potential opinion about the building):
http://www.free-press-release-center.info/pr00000000000000076966_a-new-website-on-comprehensive-holistic-health.html

I've visited a few of these building lately as I'm apartment hunting. The first thing to pay attention to is air quality (dust, mold, etc.), the second is bedbugs, and the third is mice. All real concerns in mid- and high-rises due to the volume and variety of the population living in those places.

As a side note, competition for apartments in this last week of August has been brutal, to say the list. I've been to places where there was a line of 10-15 people waiting to see the place, and by the time it was my turn, there were 10-15 people behind me. Everyone agrees that it's seasonal, due to the large number of student coming back to town (reinforced by new students just arriving in the city).

I've decided to postpone moving out until October, hoping there will be fewer applicants to compete against, although there will probably be fewer rental units becoming available too.

Good luck helping your daughter.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:59 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax2 View Post
210 Wychwood Avenue

At any rate, their website says there is a waiting list for all units (i.e., none available currently):

http://berkley.rentmaps.ca/sites/aff...ew&Build_ID=81

Old 01-27-2011, 09:58 AM

147 posts, read 311,890 times
Default Going To Ryerson Need Apartment.

Hello,

Me and my friend will be studying at Ryerson University come fall, and we are looking for a place to stay. It doesn't need to be walking distance, actually it can be 20-25km out as long as it is near the TTC. We still want to have that downtownish feel to it, and are willing to spend $1200 All inclusive for a 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment.

Any ideas?

Old 01-27-2011, 08:42 PM

287 posts, read 1,010,216 times
Try this.

myhood.ca -*Toronto Apartment Rentals

Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 PM

147 posts, read 311,890 times
Great thanks for the help

Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,632 times
Default Apartment Recommendations

Hello people,

I have a very specific question regarding apartment hunting. Not that I'm new to it, far from it, but I'd like to know if anyone out there has tried it during "peak" season, especially for a September move-in date.

Is September even considered a hard month to get a new place? It would seem to be just a busy moving month in general, both for tenants (ie students) leaving and moving in.

Thoughts?

Old 06-28-2011, 03:12 PM

122 posts, read 479,336 times
It's a bit tougher if one's budget find itself in competition with that of a budget minded student. I've tried looking for apartments in what you're calling "peak season" and had no trouble at all, but I'm sure thats because my budget was a more liberal than that of a 19 year old, first year university student. If you've got a budget of around $1300+ / month, there shouldn't be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto