Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:40 PM

130 posts, read 385,207 times

Advertisements

I'm going to University in Canada next year and am researching apartments to rent. Living in the US, I'm used to having a Garden Apartment, rather than the big hotel looking ones. Do these even exist in Canada? All I can find are high-rise apartments that look like a hotel. I'm looking for an apartment with a private entrance. I really hate hotel type apartments and if that's my only option as far as apartments go I'd rather spend the extra money and go for renting a house. What's the costs of renting a small house generally like in the Brampton, Mississauga, or St. Catharines area? I got accepted to multiple schools in Canada in different areas so I have some options on where to live in Canada. I'm more into suburban living instead of big city life. Which area would suit me best? I don't mind living in a town outside of those areas and commuting as long as it's not more than a 30 minute drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 07:11 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,258,556 times
They're not the norm in Ontario due to the high cost of land so I would guess that it would be hard to find one in the areas you mention. You might find an apartment in someone's house with it's own entrance. My friend has one in a very nice part of St. Catharines and she pays $950 for a rather small 1 bedroom.

I could be wrong but I would think you could get a small (not so nice house) for around $1400 plus utilities.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:37 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,469,398 times
Many private homes in the Brampton, or Mississauga area, have basement apartments, with side door entrance. Basement apts can be great, with modern fixtures and appliances, and usually a parking space in the driveway. Expect to pay around a thousand dollars a month, for a place that is clean and decently equipped. IN addition you will need to put down a amount that equals "two months rent " in advance.

I own a two story rental income house, in the west central part of Toronto, and the rents are...Basement 950 a month, with a side door entrance, all new ( this year ) bathroom, kitchen, and bedroom, with use of the laundry room, and the back yard.

Ground floor, with all new floors, walls, lighting fixtures, new appliances, and bathroom, and new kitchen cabinets and tile. Rent is 1200 a month. Laundry room use.

Second floor. All new floors, tile, hardwood, new kitchen, new bathroom, and rear deck. Use of laundry . Rent is 1100 a month.

The house has both a central airconditiong system, and a natural gas furnace, with forced air heating throughout the house.

I am telling you this to illustrate the rents and facilities that a average home in Toronto can generate as rental income. The rents that I receive, cover the mortgage, the annual taxes, and the cost of utilities. with a decent, after cost, profit. The tennants are paying my mortgage, and I live elsewhere. The house cost 450 K and I spent an additional 40 K on a complete renovation job.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:52 PM

16 posts, read 44,172 times
Default Can't even book an apartment VIEWING...help :(

I'm looking for an apartment in downtown Toronto for December (willing to do January if I can't find one by December). The areas I prefer to live in are St. George/Bloor and Church & Wellesley.

My problem is that I can't even get a viewing! I go on Viewit.com/Craigslist/Kijiji/property mgmt websites and when I finally call to book an appointment to see the place, several things happen:

1) They NEVER answer their phone.

2) After trying several times, I will leave a message and they won't get back to me.

3) On a couple of occasions their mailboxes were full (not encouraging).

4) On the rare occasion that someone picks up their phone, they inform me that nothing is available.

This is so discouraging to me! What do I need to do to get a measly viewing in Toronto? Has this happened to anyone? What did you do? Just keep trying nonstop?

Old 10-25-2012, 05:13 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,079,690 times
Keep trying....kijiji and craigslist will get you better results, because many viewit postings are left on even when there's no vacancy. You can get email alerts though.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:00 PM

164 posts, read 376,602 times
Default look for ones that are no more than 3 days old

don't waste your time on old postings no matter how much you like the place (it is probably already rented). Also be careful with scammers that spam Kijiji and craigslist. Kijiji is more popular than craigslist in Toronto for some reason. I don't understand why, since craigslist is more functional and easier for sorting/filtering out spam ads.

viewit.ca is another site you can check, but I think that craigslist and Kijiji are better sources since they don't charge a listing fee that I am aware of.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:05 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,721,918 times
i don't know if you are in toronto but if you are, sometimes its better to go to those neighborhoods walk around and look at the actual rental signs and stuff that are planted in front of the buildings. because....

-sometimes the phone numbers you see on the internet might be old/out of service/wrong.
-you may be able to meet the landlord if you are in the area and talk to them in the rental office.
-not every reantal place has an ad online.
-you get a better feel of what you are looking for/getting into in person (the place, amenities in the area, etc.)
etc.

if you are not in toronto have someone do this for you if they can.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:08 PM

277 posts, read 788,080 times
I've always rented through Craigslist or Kijiji and never had a problem.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:33 PM

16 posts, read 44,172 times
Thanks guys for all your responses.

I actually ended up finding a place today! Right by Yonge & Bloor on Isabella street. I'm just waiting for official approval from the property management company, which I find out Tuesday, but it should be fine

Cannot wait!!

Old 10-29-2012, 06:37 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,721,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammergal View Post
Thanks guys for all your responses.

I actually ended up finding a place today! Right by Yonge & Bloor on Isabella street. I'm just waiting for official approval from the property management company, which I find out Tuesday, but it should be fine

Cannot wait!!
Congrats. How did you find it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto