Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,775 times

Advertisements

Not looking to buy, only to rent an apartment. I'm a single, white, law-abiding guy who is new to the area and has never lived in Toledo. I recently was offered a job in town and not sure where to live. There's a relatively inexpensive apartment available and want to know if it's even worth looking at.

Can't tell if this is Five Points or Library Village neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 03:40 PM

151 posts, read 413,910 times
That neighborhood is in decline (lots of foreclosures, absentee landlords), but you should be okay just renting there.

Don't worry too much about neighborhood boundaries, they aren't really designated in Toledo like in, say, Chicago. It's more common to break down the city into North, South, East, Central and West Toledo. Not all of these designations make perfect geographic sense.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:52 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,944,147 times
FWIW, be very careful of anything south of Eleanor. Decline is an understatement, I would not live east of Lewis and south of Eleanor, full of drugs and gangs anymore. Two murders in that area since summer. Burglary is out of control. It used to be so nice here, but has done a 180 in the last 2 years. That, of course is just my opinion, but I live here, so do some research.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:31 PM

154 posts, read 606,188 times
That area always seemed sketchy to me. I'd look around some more.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:29 PM

595 posts, read 600,530 times
look into the Holland-Sylvania Rd. or Heatherdowns Rd. area for a solid cheap apartment in a more stable neighborhood.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:31 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,502 times
Well, theres worse and you dont have to go far to find it, but if you've never been to Toledo then Id suggest looking at other parts of town... Toledo is not a city that has a high cost of living so you should be fine finding something fairly cheap in another part of town... I agree do some research.... That area isnt the worst part of town, but theres been some problems over there recently. Not too long ago a store clerk was shot and killed during a robbery not too far from that location.... That doesnt happen often in that part of town, but theres been some concerns over there with car break-ins and home invasions. Its still a nice neighborhood, but to someone not from Toledo Id at least check out other parts of town if your not familiar with the city, even consider checking out some suburbs. It really depends on where your job is and how much you are willing to spend and how close you want to be to shopping, nite clubs, etc....

Old 12-24-2009, 04:07 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Ditto what the others said. My husband grew up a couple of blocks from Sylvania and Lewis, and that neighborhood is in serious decline now. Houses that sold for $60,000-$80,000 a couple of years ago are now going for way under $50,000. Crime over there is up (that store owner who was robbed and murdered was only about two blocks from the Sylvania/Lewis intersection.) and it is no longer a nice, family-friendly neighborhood. There is a lot worse, but there is also a lot better. Try something out around Sylvania and Talmadge Rd. or Monroe St. and Talmadge. You will be close to the area's nicest mall (Westfield Shopping Towne Franklin Park) and many other retail outlets and it is a much safer neighborhood.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,775 times
Thanks, all, for the information and candid replies. I did check out the neighborhood one weekend afternoon and can see just as you all described. I'll be keeping an eye out for something in another area. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-26-2009, 04:13 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,356 times
What's everyone's take on the area a bit north of there --- say --- Lewis & Alexis, just south of Home Depot?

Another place with inexpensive rents, but, mixed reviews on the apartment review websites.

Thanks!

Old 12-27-2009, 10:09 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
What's everyone's take on the area a bit north of there --- say --- Lewis & Alexis, just south of Home Depot?

Another place with inexpensive rents, but, mixed reviews on the apartment review websites.

Thanks!
To my understanding, not too bad, but down the street is strip club central.... Around Alexis and Telegraph..... That area seems pretty decent to me, but I would check it out because Im not too sure....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo