Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 10,559 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to the area. My husband is working in Toledo, but we both LOVE Ann Arbor. It's a long commute, but it seems like the opportunities for our 3 kids (and our cultural interests) would be better in Ann Arbor. Does anyone commute to Toledo from AA, or should we try to make Sylvania work for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 03:44 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleximom View Post
My family and I are relocating to the area. My husband is working in Toledo, but we both LOVE Ann Arbor. It's a long commute, but it seems like the opportunities for our 3 kids (and our cultural interests) would be better in Ann Arbor. Does anyone commute to Toledo from AA, or should we try to make Sylvania work for us?

36 miles one way and all freeway. That's not that bad of a commute.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 PM

896 posts, read 1,854,828 times
Yeah, I would say from anywhere in the Toledo metro area, it should still take less than an hour to get back to Ann Arbor. If youre only coming down to Sylvania, you might be able to get back to AA in like 30-40 mins.

If youre already used to driving a ton, this doesnt seem that bad. I drive 55 miles to work everyday and back (110 mi).

I think youll definitely enjoy living in Ann Arbor a lot.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,506,953 times
Just something to think about. How many days a week/month are there things that you want that only Ann Arbor has and the Sylvania area doesn't. How many days a week/month would it be necessary to drive from Ann Arbor to Toledo. Which location would give you less time on the road and more time with the family.

Remember, an extra 30 minutes each way on the road is about 20 hours additional away from the family every month.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Just something to think about. How many days a week/month are there things that you want that only Ann Arbor has and the Sylvania area doesn't. How many days a week/month would it be necessary to drive from Ann Arbor to Toledo. Which location would give you less time on the road and more time with the family.

Remember, an extra 30 minutes each way on the road is about 20 hours additional away from the family every month.

Or an extra 60 minutes each day spent sleeping.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:14 PM

896 posts, read 1,854,828 times
Good point rrtechno.

I enjoy Ann Arbor too. It's nothing to cruise up there any weekend.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:18 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,315,434 times
We live in a small town, Dundee, that is the midway point between AA and Toledo. I like it here because we can get to either city in about twenty minutes, yet we still have a safe, quiet, small town atmosphere. However, if you're not into small town living (as in, one grocery store, one drug store, no clothing stores except Cabela's, etc.) then you wouldn't like it here, but I can say that I don't think I would necessarily want to do the AA to Toledo or Sylvania commute every day. Traffic in AA tends to get pretty hairy around rush hour, and it could be more like an hour or more one way in winter weather.

Have you considered Saline? Saline is a really nice bedroom suburb just south of AA that is just a few minutes from all the action in AA but a little bit quicker commute to the Toledo area. If you can avoid I-94 at all, you will shave time off of your commute, and if you live in Saline you can just hop on US23 at US12 (Michigan Ave.) and it's much quicker because it will be completely rural until you get into Sylvania. There are some beautiful homes in Saline, and I hear great things about the schools. There also seem to be a lot of activities there for families. Here is a link to their website:

City of Saline, Michigan

Old 06-26-2012, 04:30 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,616,048 times
Taxes in Ann Arbor are extremely high! Also look into the tax implications of working in Ohio and living in Michigan, as well as the costs if gas goes to $5/gallon.

I don't suggest that anyone live where a long commute is necessary.

Parts of Toledo are coming back, albeit slowly. I'd also suggest looking at Maumee, in addition to Sylvania.

In any case, try to spend at least a week here and in Michigan before moving. Shop at the grocery stores and look into the economic health of your job(s).

I grew up in A2 and moved to Ohio because there are few jobs in my field in Michigan. At this point, most of my relatives who are still working are here (Cols, OH) and in IN.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:01 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
36 miles one way and all freeway. That's not that bad of a commute.
Google maps says a generic "Ann Arbor to Toledo" trip is 52.4 miles. If the job is actually in Sylvania, then it's 44 miles.

I think that rrtechno is on the right track. Is there actually enough in Ann Arbor that would have you going up there so often that it makes more sense to actually live there? If your husband has a typical job, he works about 20 days a month. Would you need to make 20 trips to Ann Arbor in a typical month?

Unless you have family up there, I can't think of *that many* reasons to be going to Ann Arbor on that regular of a basis, and I think the saved time, simplified taxes, and commuting costs would make it worth living closer to work. Keep in mind that Toledo has a commuter tax, so you may be getting taxed in 2 municipalities (and maybe even states) if the job is in Toledo but your home is not.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Google maps says a generic "Ann Arbor to Toledo" trip is 52.4 miles. If the job is actually in Sylvania, then it's 44 miles.

I think that rrtechno is on the right track. Is there actually enough in Ann Arbor that would have you going up there so often that it makes more sense to actually live there? If your husband has a typical job, he works about 20 days a month. Would you need to make 20 trips to Ann Arbor in a typical month?

Unless you have family up there, I can't think of *that many* reasons to be going to Ann Arbor on that regular of a basis, and I think the saved time, simplified taxes, and commuting costs would make it worth living closer to work. Keep in mind that Toledo has a commuter tax, so you may be getting taxed in 2 municipalities (and maybe even states) if the job is in Toledo but your home is not.

When you cross into Michigan on northbound US23, the road sign says "Ann Arbor 36".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo