Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:23 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times

Advertisements

Hello, All.

It looks as if I will be putting in for a job in Port Clinton. I don't know what my chances are (but wish me luck!)

I have done a little research about the town and general area, but I always think it's far better to get the straight scoop from people who live there or have spent some time there.

I would really appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, advice, etc. regarding this town.

For a little background, my family and I have lived in many different areas of the country, in cities and small towns. I have two daughters in elementary school. We aren't big partiers or anything, but we don't really want to live terribly far from some activities such as decent shopping, dining, etc. I also play music and would like to be near a place where there are some musicians, music shops, etc. I know Port Clinton isn't too far from Toledo (and I also know next-to-nothing about Toledo!)

We are mostly concerned with things like the schools, crime rates (esp. violent crimes and bad drug problems)...does Port Clinton suffer any fallout for being so near to Detroit?

Also, cost of living. I'm in a small (very blue-collar) town in upstate New York right now and I can't imagine Port Clinton would be more expensive. I imagine the taxes would be lower.

One last thing, we would be looking for a rental property before looking into buying a house. We have a small dog as well. Would this be a problem? Finding a 3-4 bedroom house to rent?

Thanks in advance for any info regarding this town and the surrounding area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:30 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Hello, All.

It looks as if I will be putting in for a job in Port Clinton. I don't know what my chances are (but wish me luck!)

I have done a little research about the town and general area, but I always think it's far better to get the straight scoop from people who live there or have spent some time there.

I would really appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, advice, etc. regarding this town.

For a little background, my family and I have lived in many different areas of the country, in cities and small towns. I have two daughters in elementary school. We aren't big partiers or anything, but we don't really want to live terribly far from some activities such as decent shopping, dining, etc. I also play music and would like to be near a place where there are some musicians, music shops, etc. I know Port Clinton isn't too far from Toledo (and I also know next-to-nothing about Toledo!)

We are mostly concerned with things like the schools, crime rates (esp. violent crimes and bad drug problems)...does Port Clinton suffer any fallout for being so near to Detroit?

Also, cost of living. I'm in a small (very blue-collar) town in upstate New York right now and I can't imagine Port Clinton would be more expensive. I imagine the taxes would be lower.

One last thing, we would be looking for a rental property before looking into buying a house. We have a small dog as well. Would this be a problem? Finding a 3-4 bedroom house to rent?

Thanks in advance for any info regarding this town and the surrounding area.
First, some basic geography.....Port Clinton isn't that near Detroit at all. Fall out? You will get some folks from Toledo more then Detroit....however, being the gateway to the Islands and on the way to Cedar Point, you are going to see tourists from all over in the summer time. Why would you worry about a city in another state?

And yes, it can be more expensive to live in an area right on the water. Taxes may or may not be lower depending where you are coming from in New York. They are not cheap however. The town right now is going through a monetary crisis. In other words...they are near broke and the roads need fixed.

Schools are okay for a small district. Good graduation rates, test scores. That being said...it's a small district. Be prepared for the standard stuff that happens in small schools. I graduated from the high school...and my daughter went to them for her early years...and I am very glad we live in a large district now. They've recently down sized and sold off two elementary school buildings because enrollement is down.

Crime...some, not much. It's not random stranger voilence, but marginal people preying on each other. Drugs...yeah....they are there just like in every other town. I don't worry about my mother working in PC or living out on the Island (Catawba).

Shopping...lol....you have Wal-mart. It drove all the smaller stores under. You have to go to Sandusky for most things.

Rentals aren't known to be very pet friendly as a general rule, but they can be found. Check out the local papers (they are online) The Port Clinton News Herald and The Beacon.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
First, some basic geography.....Port Clinton isn't that near Detroit at all. Fall out? You will get some folks from Toledo more then Detroit....however, being the gateway to the Islands and on the way to Cedar Point, you are going to see tourists from all over in the summer time. Why would you worry about a city in another state?
Well, having spent some time in Detroit...

But seriously, it seems like some larger cities that are drug hubs can cause some problems in smaller places on the path between these hubs. Maybe I'm just being paranoid (and definitely speaking from ignorance when discussing Port Clinton) but I've lived in some smaller towns that did suffer some gang violence and increases in the use of really dirty drugs like meth and crack and heroin just because of where they happened to be positioned between two larger cities with problems.

I didn't mean to imply anything.

Quote:
And yes, it can be more expensive to live in an area right on the water. Taxes may or may not be lower depending where you are coming from in New York. They are not cheap however. The town right now is going through a monetary crisis. In other words...they are near broke and the roads need fixed.

Schools are okay for a small district. Good graduation rates, test scores. That being said...it's a small district. Be prepared for the standard stuff that happens in small schools. I graduated from the high school...and my daughter went to them for her early years...and I am very glad we live in a large district now. They've recently down sized and sold off two elementary school buildings because enrollement is down.

Crime...some, not much. It's not random stranger voilence, but marginal people preying on each other. Drugs...yeah....they are there just like in every other town. I don't worry about my mother working in PC or living out on the Island (Catawba).

Shopping...lol....you have Wal-mart. It drove all the smaller stores under. You have to go to Sandusky for most things.

Rentals aren't known to be very pet friendly as a general rule, but they can be found. Check out the local papers (they are online) The Port Clinton News Herald and The Beacon.
Appreciate all the info. Thanks very much for your response. Still eager to hear more from anyone else as well.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:04 PM

154 posts, read 606,128 times
For crime reports, check the News Herald - portclintonnewsherald.com. In the search area, type in 'for the record,' you will be able to look at the crime reports.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:31 AM

434 posts, read 1,165,007 times
I am originally from the general area (about 25 miles away from Port Clinton). You'll find that PC and eastern Ottawa County is most closely associated with the Sandusky area (moreso than Toledo/Detroit). Someone mentioed the PC newspaper. The other papers that are "local" to Port Clinton would definitely be the Sandusky Register ( www.sanduskyregister.com ) and possibly the Fremont News-Messenger ( www.thenews-messenger.com ). And if you want all the "glitz and glamour" and things to do about this touristy region, go to the visitors bureau website (collaboration between Ottawa and Erie counties): www.shoresandislands.com

Good luck with your job!

Last edited by sandwalk; 06-24-2009 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: editted a link

Old 07-01-2009, 04:51 PM

Why would this post be moved to the Toledo forum? Believe me...people in Port Clinton (and Sandusky) don't identify with Toledo of all places.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:51 PM

421 posts, read 1,566,056 times
Why not identify with Toledo?? Toledo has many good restaurants, good concerts, etc. Port Clinton is close enough to enjoy that stuff without dealing with Toledo on a daily basis.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
Why not identify with Toledo?? Toledo has many good restaurants, good concerts, etc. Port Clinton is close enough to enjoy that stuff without dealing with Toledo on a daily basis.
Because Port Clinton is not Toledo and for the most part people in PC don't GO there....if they are going to travel they go to Cleveland...with real shopping, concerts and resturants etc etc.

Not only that...but Port Clinton is just a COMPLETELY different area. It's not in anyway a suburb of Toledo and it basically has nothing in common with a larger urban area.

I was talking to my friends that still live in PC about this and they all laughed about being lumped in with Toldeo.

City Data has made a huge mistake to put threads about Port Clinton and the Islands in this forum. Threads about PC, the Islands, Cedar Point and the area should be kep in the general state forum.

Let Toledo have their sub-forum....but keep it to things ABOUT Toledo.

Last edited by Zoya; 07-22-2009 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-23-2009, 07:42 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post

Let Toledo have their sub-forum....but keep it to things ABOUT Toledo.
I think the Toledo name on the sub-forum is misleading. I look at as more Toledo/NW Ohio. Why should the rural areas be left out and just lumped in the general Ohio forum. We definitely do not identify as being like Toledo out here where we live, in fact we are almost closer to Fort Wayne than Toledo, but if our postings end up in the Toledo forum, at least people know it is from NW Ohio. I still think there should be 5 sub-forums for Ohio, Northwest, Northeast, Southwest, Southeast, and Central, divided the same way ONN does for their news and weather. I don't believe NW Ohio rural areas identify with SE Ohio rural areas, other than they are both rural. But then NW Ohio rural areas and Toledo are just both in NW Ohio. However, we are more familiar with the areas around here than the areas around Athens.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:00 AM

101 posts, read 545,892 times
I have lived in Port Clinton fora long time. It is a very nice little town. Situated on Lake Erie it has so much more to offer than other hinterland towns twice or thrice its size.

Besides the typical fastfood joints, there are some really excellent dining locations (Nagoya, The Garden, Mon Ami, McCarthy's, etc.). Other locations may be a ten-twenty minute drive. Night activities like Mr. Ed's and Nick's Road House can be an entertaining diversion.

Although it is a 'summer' town with the islands a walking distance away via ferry and a number of feistivals, it is also a place where winter activities occur as well.

The cost of living is rather low, although property taxes have been going up over the last ten years. PCHS and Middle School are in a conveninet location and are well respected--except for the football team, oh boy!

There aren't any health/exersize clubs as they have gone to the wayside, but it is great for biking and walking alone the lake front. The beach in town is very popular and clean, except after a hard rain for a day or two.

It is easy to get around but infmous for the confdition of the streeats. My daughter used to call it Pot-hole Clinton...but the depends on the administation.

If you are on your way here for a job change and need a place to live, there is great real estate properties and amazing value if you compare to other water front areas around the country.

PC is not perfect and anyone can find things to complain about, but there is nothing terrible or dangerous. More from Toledo come here than the other way around.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Andy Christensen
awc222@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo