Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:07 AM

8 posts, read 17,872 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving and buying a home in Toledo after being gone for almost 20 years. We have 3 kids ages 9 - 16 years old, so we need good schools and safe neighborhoods with activities such as swim team and baseball. We have been looking at Perrysburg and Sylvania. What are the pros/cons between these 2 areas? Any information would be appreciated - Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 08:22 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,753 times
As long as you can find the home you want, for the price you want in either town.....I cant think of any obvious cons.

Good public schools. Both are safe. The only thing that would really make a difference is your commutes to work and possibly any particular businesses or amenities you need close by.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:12 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
I agree both of those suburbs have everything you need. Not really any cons for either IMO other than your commute for work.

Welcome back to the Toledo area. I also moved back after being gone nearly 20 years and am happy I did. I think Toledo is a great place to raise a family due to affordability and especially since you have kids in many activities, less time in the car versus other larger and more sprawled cities across the country.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:27 PM

595 posts, read 600,078 times
Also, Monclova and Watervile Townships have shot up quite a bit in the last 2 decades and the Anthony Wayne school district is slowly becoming one of the best in the state.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:43 AM

8 posts, read 17,872 times
Thanks for the responses! We are heading to Toledo this weekend for the house hunt. There are a lot more houses in our price range (200k - 250k) in Sylvania than Perrysburg! Taxes seem to be a lot higher in Sylvania though. Husband's job will be in Northwood so commute is an issue as well. Perhaps we will take a look at Monclova and Waterville, depending on the commute. Thanks!

Old 08-04-2016, 02:22 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,753 times
Perrysburg wouls definitely be closest to Northwood then. Theres houses in the 200s in Perrysburg. Just a matter of what your expecting for your price.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:55 PM

224 posts, read 297,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrooney View Post
We are planning on moving and buying a home in Toledo after being gone for almost 20 years. We have 3 kids ages 9 - 16 years old, so we need good schools and safe neighborhoods with activities such as swim team and baseball. We have been looking at Perrysburg and Sylvania. What are the pros/cons between these 2 areas? Any information would be appreciated - Thanks!
Taxes for both of those towns are high. If you plan to rent plan to spend a min of a $1000/month, if you plan to buy a house, they housing market is going up in both of those markets and they are relatively expensive. I have heard from my networks that houses typically go for around $500k but I have absolutely no real idea.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:52 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,305,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbracing33b View Post
Taxes for both of those towns are high. If you plan to rent plan to spend a min of a $1000/month, if you plan to buy a house, they housing market is going up in both of those markets and they are relatively expensive. I have heard from my networks that houses typically go for around $500k but I have absolutely no real idea.
$500,000 is not an accurate figure if you're talking about average home prices in Sylvania or Perrysburg. $500,000 in either of those towns would buy you a huge mcmansion in an upscale subdivision or a big, beautiful Victorian in Perrysburg's historic district.

A nice family home in either town can be had for the mid-$200,000s, or even less if it's a bit outdated or in an older subdivision. Just like anywhere else, there are less fashionable areas with more basic homes in both Perrysburg and Sylvania, as well as very posh subdivisions and in the case of Perrysburg, a handful of $1,000,000 mansions on the river.

Another option for the OP would be Bedford Township, Michigan, which is also a bedroom suburb of Toledo with good schools. It is basically a township that encompasses the villages of Lambertville and Temperance and there are a lot of family oriented subdivisions much like those in Perrysburg and Sylvania. It borders Toledo directly and you can be anywhere in the Toledo Metro within about 20 minutes, just as with any other suburb. However, due to a differing tax structure in Michigan vs. Ohio, the property taxes in Bedford are generally much lower, even for an identical home, than those in Sylvania or Perrysburg. We raised our kids there and, while I don't personally have experience with the school district because our kids went to private school, I can attest to it being a great place to raise a family.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:08 PM

595 posts, read 600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
The property taxes in Bedford are generally much lower, even for an identical home, than those in Sylvania or Perrysburg.
Yeah, but then you'll need to set aside a few extra grand a year for car repairs on those Michigan roads.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,983 times
Default RE: Living in Toledo

Hi, welcome back to Toledo. As several posters have said, the Sylvania & Perrysburg areas are very fine suburban areas, with many housing options available. The Perrysburg market is extremely hot right now, and if you a are looking for a newer home, less than 5 years old, there are currently very few options available. New homes are being built at a very rapid pace, with prices in the mid $200K to $350K range being typical. Sylvania is a bit better, but still very competitive. If you are interested in older homes, the Old Orchard area of Toledo is a very nice neighborhood, with homes built in the 1920' - 1950's, many in the Tudor and Colonial style. It is near The University of Toledo, and has held up well as far as housing prices. Another area is the Beverly/Heatherdowns area. It is near the zoo, downtown and an easy commute to Northwood. The Northwood area itself is a bit of a hodgepodge, as development in that area is fairly slow. The school system is rated pretty good, however. Just for ****s & giggles, you may also want to look at the Oregon area as well. Good school system, just north of Northwood, and Lake Erie and several parks are nearby. Oh, and Maumee, don't forget about Maumee. Great area, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo