Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 34,439 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone here went/go or know anything about UT b/c I might go there for college, taking pre-pharmacy. Can you tell me a little about the college and/or the city?
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 07:54 PM

143 posts, read 872,895 times
UT has very good pharmacy and engineering programs. Thier engineering program ranks in the top 20 nationwide. UT has recently merged with the Medical College of Ohio. From what I understand the admission standards to get into these professional programs are about to increase. I went to UT and enjoyed my experience for the most part.

Toledo is a comfortable drive away from some of the best Midwest cities (Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, and Cleveland). There is something called the Megabus here that could get you to Cleveland or Chicago for $1.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:25 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
It has a good pharmacy program. My husband is a pharmacist graduated from the U of Toledo. Our oldest son thought he would try the pre-pharm program at the U of Toledo; the pre-pharm classifying are very strenous. He was not admitted into the pharmacy program upon his first attempt. His GPA was 3.7, and not high enough as others competing to get in had even a higher GPA. Ohio has only 4 pharmacy colleges (U of Toledo, Ohio State, Cincinnati, and Ohio Northern). If this is something that you wish to do, you must commit 1000%, not 100% to the program if you want to get in. I wish you the best.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:17 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
Isnt that awesome, the Megabus? You can go from Cincinnati to Minneapolis for only one buck.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:56 PM

5 posts, read 34,439 times
Thanks for the replies!! I already got accepted into the UT's prepharmacy program (which isn't that hard... I think the admission rate is 99%?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
UT has very good pharmacy and engineering programs. Thier engineering program ranks in the top 20 nationwide. UT has recently merged with the Medical College of Ohio. From what I understand the admission standards to get into these professional programs are about to increase. I went to UT and enjoyed my experience for the most part.

Toledo is a comfortable drive away from some of the best Midwest cities (Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, and Cleveland). There is something called the Megabus here that could get you to Cleveland or Chicago for $1.
Oh wow, I didn't know about the "Megabus" - very interesting! The higher the standards, the harder... err.. crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
It has a good pharmacy program. My husband is a pharmacist graduated from the U of Toledo. Our oldest son thought he would try the pre-pharm program at the U of Toledo; the pre-pharm classifying are very strenous. He was not admitted into the pharmacy program upon his first attempt. His GPA was 3.7, and not high enough as others competing to get in had even a higher GPA. Ohio has only 4 pharmacy colleges (U of Toledo, Ohio State, Cincinnati, and Ohio Northern). If this is something that you wish to do, you must commit 1000%, not 100% to the program if you want to get in. I wish you the best.
I also applied at Cincinnati for pre-pharm (and Purdue in IN). I have heard about the HARD work and the ridiculously difficult competition to get into the Pharmacy school, which is something I am nervous about. May I ask what your son decided to do after pre-pharmacy? Did he continue with the BS in Pharmacy?

Thanks again for the feedback! =)

Old 11-08-2006, 10:45 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
If you're addressing me (original poster - I apologize I forgot the user name - sorry), my son did not apply again for the pharmacy program. For one thing, becoming a pharmacist was not something that he really, really wanted to become or do. You have to have that type of commitment to the program once you're in because you will be competing with those that are applying for the second and third time, and you will also be competing with the pre-med students that did not get accepted in the Medical College in Toledo. He was then going to apply to get into one of the Pharmacy Allied fields; something that we discussed with our son (encouraged him NOT to go into that if his passion was not there), and he decided not to go into those fields. He is not finishing up Chemistry/Biology - school of Education - will start his student teaching either Fall of 2006 of Spring 2007. This is a better fit for him, especially since he wants to use the summers off to write, to act, and do other things. I think he wanted to "try" pharmacy because his dad is a pharmacist, and it's a good career. That wasn't enough, but one never knows until they try.

I wish you the best in your studies this year!

Old 11-17-2006, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 34,194 times
My dad graduated from the University of Toledo and has been a registered pharmacist for 15 years. The phramacy prrogram is good...BUT HARD...and is the cheapest university in the state for pharmacy.

Now the city of Toledo...well it is very WINDY and cold in the winter. I mean the wind feels like it is slapping you in the face. This is due to the geography of Northwestern OH which is very flat. The city of Toledo is somewhat rundown like most cities in Northern OH that are part of the "Rust Belt." The streets around U of T are very crappy and need just some serious asphalt, read: pothole heaven. There is though a strong Mexican presence around the Toledo area due to migrant worker farms and there is also a strong Lebanese presence.

As far as restaurants go to Tony Paco's which have the best chili dogs and Sofo's for good Mediterranean food. Try their Gralic Pull-a-parts. Mmmm-mmm good!!!

Toledo is also about half an hour from Windsor so there is a lot to do on the weekend. BTW hope u r a Detroit fan...esp. the Lions.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:00 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post

Toledo is a comfortable drive away from some of the best Midwest cities (Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, and Cleveland).

What about Dayton?

Old 02-19-2016, 03:01 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Toledo is about 2 hours from Dayton.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:25 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Toledo is about 2 hours from Dayton.
Is Dayton one of the better Midwest cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo