Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:03 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,873,004 times

Advertisements

UT class of '03.

Engineering - Not bad. Lot of friends from high school and those I met while there graduated and went to decent jobs. Nothing like GE or anything but most found some decent work right after graduating.

Pharmacy - Knew a ton of Pharm majors. Studied ALL THE TIME. Very competitive. You spend your first two years trying to actually get into the college of Pharmacy. I knew people who did 2 years at UT only to NOT get into the upper level pharm program and had to transfer to ONU's college of pharm to continue to pursue their major / career.

Education - believe or not is more competitive than BGSU (regarded as the teacher's college of NW Ohio). As with the pharm situation, the college of education had a lower level and an upper level. To get into the upper level and thus actually be enrolled in the college you had to take what is called Praxis 1 (essentially like the ACT). Had a couple female friends in the early childhood edu program who after 2 years did not make qualifying scores and again a few of them transferred to BGSU to finish out and get their degree.

Business - don't know too much about this one. did not know too many biz majors if any

Arts and Science - History program was top notch (then again I'm bias). heard nothing but horrible things about the Math dept. Bio and chem seemed good. Most of the Bio and Chem courses it seemed served the needs of the pharm college. LOTS of psych majors.

Loved being only an hour south of Detroit and not far from Windsor. Thoroughly enjoyed the city. Grew up in Lima, Ohio about an hour south of Toledo.

Anything west and north of campus is solid. East is ok until you get past Westmoreland. Door street and anything south of Door was a train wreck. Was up there this fall for homecoming. Hadn't been on campus in years. Door street has really picked up and Secor has changed a lot as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 03:58 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,669,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
UT class of '03.

Engineering - Not bad. Lot of friends from high school and those I met while there graduated and went to decent jobs. Nothing like GE or anything but most found some decent work right after graduating.

Probably a good thing, since GE in Cincinnati is now in layoff mode when everybody else is hiring.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,874,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Is Dayton one of the better Midwest cities?
I think it depends on what you are looking for.

I know a lot of people from Dayton (ironically, I met them when I lived down south lol) and Dayton natives remind me a lot of Toledo natives - down to earth, nice people.

I have only been to Dayton twice in the past couple years but from what I could tell versus how it was when I was younger and went there more often, it is much nicer now that it used to be. They started cleaning up the city and resurfacing roads and such prior to Toledo so IMO they look better now on the street level than some Toledo neighborhoods.

Also, Dayton opened itself up to immigrants and so attracted some people to move there. Like Toledo and other "rust belt" cities, Dayton has been losing population and was suffering some economic decline. To curb population loss and build up a tax base the city there encouraged immigrants to move to Dayton. Since then the immigrant population has increase substantially. Contrary to what people believe, immigrants are actually more likely to open businesses than natural born citizens and so Dayton wanted to take advantage of that and welcome more immigrants to the area. I personally believe Toledo should do something similar but Toledo already has a pretty large immigrant population and has always been popular place for refugee resettlement as well but doing like Dayton is doing is a good idea IMO just to let new citizens know we are a welcoming place.

IMO, in Ohio the "better" cities are usually though of as Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland, in no particular order, but it depends on what you view as "better." For instance, I wouldn't mind living in Columbus or Cincinnati but I wouldn't want to live in Cleveland due to crime issues and poor public schools.

People here in Toledo think we have issues with crime and schools but ours are way better than Cleveland and I believe not that much different from Columbus in either. Cleveland also gets too much snow. I would live in Cincinnati just because it is a beautiful, hilly city and both Cincinnati and Columbus are warmer than Cleveland or Toledo.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:13 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I think it depends on what you are looking for.

I know a lot of people from Dayton (ironically, I met them when I lived down south lol) and Dayton natives remind me a lot of Toledo natives - down to earth, nice people.

I have only been to Dayton twice in the past couple years but from what I could tell versus how it was when I was younger and went there more often, it is much nicer now that it used to be. They started cleaning up the city and resurfacing roads and such prior to Toledo so IMO they look better now on the street level than some Toledo neighborhoods.

Also, Dayton opened itself up to immigrants and so attracted some people to move there. Like Toledo and other "rust belt" cities, Dayton has been losing population and was suffering some economic decline. To curb population loss and build up a tax base the city there encouraged immigrants to move to Dayton. Since then the immigrant population has increase substantially. Contrary to what people believe, immigrants are actually more likely to open businesses than natural born citizens and so Dayton wanted to take advantage of that and welcome more immigrants to the area. I personally believe Toledo should do something similar but Toledo already has a pretty large immigrant population and has always been popular place for refugee resettlement as well but doing like Dayton is doing is a good idea IMO just to let new citizens know we are a welcoming place.

IMO, in Ohio the "better" cities are usually though of as Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland, in no particular order, but it depends on what you view as "better." For instance, I wouldn't mind living in Columbus or Cincinnati but I wouldn't want to live in Cleveland due to crime issues and poor public schools.

People here in Toledo think we have issues with crime and schools but ours are way better than Cleveland and I believe not that much different from Columbus in either. Cleveland also gets too much snow. I would live in Cincinnati just because it is a beautiful, hilly city and both Cincinnati and Columbus are warmer than Cleveland or Toledo.
Cincinnati has horrible traffic though. I've never been able to through Cincinnati without some kind of stoppage. Time of day did not matter. 5 pm to 8 pm once you get between Florence, KY and Liberty Township, Oh you're gonna be in a parking lot.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:47 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,669,840 times
Quote:
Cincinnati has horrible traffic though. I've never been able to through Cincinnati without some kind of stoppage. Time of day did not matter. 5 pm to 8 pm once you get between Florence, KY and Liberty Township, Oh you're gonna be in a parking lot.

Did you try using the I-275 bypass?

Old 02-29-2016, 02:01 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,874,820 times
Quote:
I lived in metro Atlanta, GA for nearly 20 years. Cincinnati traffic is not as bad as Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo