Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,557 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job position in Toledo, Ohio. The position would be a major pay increase, a lower cost of living, and a welcome return to the Great Lakes area. My wife and I are looking for recommendations on school districts for our children. Our oldest daughter is 4 years old and suffers from mild/moderate autism (PDD-NOS diagnosis).

Can anyone recommend which school districts in the Toledo metro area offer the best programming and services for elementary school children with autism?

We realize that how good the services are for autism is relative to what you currently get wherever you are. We are currently in Topeka, Kansas and my daughter gets 10 hrs of DD preschool a week paid for by the county which includes about 1-2 hours of OT and 1-2 hours of speech therapy each week. Although the teachers and assistants do their best to use ABA techniques, the preschool program is not officially ABA therapy and none of the staff are ABA certified. My daughter is also in an additional OT for 1 hour a week that is partially paid for by our health insurance.

Any info on what is offered K-6, and who has the best reputations, in the greater Toledo area would be great. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 08:36 PM

656 posts, read 2,314,717 times
Default Small bit of info

Not sure if this will help, but I seem to remember there was a charter school, the Autism Academy of Learning, that dealt specifically with autistic children. I know it's in Toledo. It might not be much, but it's a start.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:51 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
You might want to look at this article from the Toledo Blade Archives.

toledoblade.com -- Toledo School for autistic honors 1st grad

Old 05-02-2008, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,919 times
I don't know if you are still checking this but I'm in what they say to be the better school districts and my son has autism and I'm completly disgusted with the schools. But I have heard the sylvania schools are good. But if you can afford it try private schools. I'm from Virginia and have moved here 3 years ago due to husbands job but I wouldn't do Toledo public I'm in Washington local and not impressed at all we will be moving soon thank god!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:47 PM

27 posts, read 59,786 times
I have lived throughout Ohio and in the North there is the Cleveland Clinic which is great. Im not sure if there are branches in the Toledo area or not. The County Service are also great so if you do go regerstier with the county MR/DD. They have money that you can apply for to get adaptive equiptment. They even paid for a fence in my back yard because my son couldnt go out side with out running off. Ohio also has an Autism Schlorship that you can apply for to go towards a special needs school. Good luck

Old 05-14-2010, 05:01 AM

1 posts, read 4,946 times
Your post is old but I have a son w/ Aspergers Syndrome. I checked out the schools and was given a list of schools to check for his disorder. I am now in the Springfield School District and wasn't sure I would like it but it's what was affordable at the time. I'm thankful I did. The schools have stepped up and gone beyond what I ever expected to help my son out. He is doing so much better here than he has anywhere else. I am so thankful for the teachers, autism coach, and sensory help he has received. Hopefully others will check this school district out as well.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:18 AM

227 posts, read 626,017 times
Every school district has a different approach around here. You need to be prepared with questions like... will my daughter be with other children with autism, in a 'resource room', put in an inclusive environment with children without any disability... and which do you think would work best for your daughter. I was both a teacher and interned with Lucas County Board of D. D.... I have had a lot of disappointments and a lot of moments of pride in the system here. I think, on the whole, you will be impressed with the services offered in this region, but you have to keep in mind that each school district governs its self.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:13 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
Good to hear that about Springfield Township.

Check out the Flat Rock, MI area. I know its not Toledo, its a suburban area about 30-45 minutes north of Toledo, but they have a very nice middle school autism program in its second year, which is an extension of their elementary programs. If you are interested call their schools... it was a cooperative between three area school districts, I believe.

Perrysburg, OH (suburb outside Toledo) has an autism program, and it was a mixed bag. I loved the way they worked various types of curriculum into the school day, including sensory activity. But, not every kid was having a good day the day I was there, and it seemed chaotic with 6-7 kids in the room each having their own issues.

And just a general note that refers to NEITHER of the school districts listed above -- but when you make your phone calls, ask directly if the schools ever use any form of physical restraint on autistic children. If yes, get details and get copies of the policy. I've seen that occur in a couple of the schools I've been in, with young children, and I felt it was totally unwarranted.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 AM

227 posts, read 626,017 times
I have never seen anyone in mechanical restraints in any of my time working with the Developmental Disability population. (the rules may be slightly different for children, but for adult clients...) No employee can restrain someone, unless it is agreed to by a panel and is in the behavior plan. The only exception to, at least holding a person down, is if they are a clear and immanent threat to other's safety.

Unfortunately, one child with autism can be a real handful at times, so when an overwhelmed teacher is left with a whole room with more children with autism than one person should be expected to supervise... I don't doubt the truthfulness of your observation at all.

Last edited by ryansmith; 07-16-2010 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: The computer made a smiley face out of my punctuation, when i didn't intend to be funny at all.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:19 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
Yep, Ryan, I've seen a teacher wrestle a kid down to the ground and hold him there for five minutes (a 250 pound teacher vs. a 75 pound 4th grader) for what really was just simple misbehavior (nothing egregious other than just the kind of mouthing-off that any spunky 4th grader (autistic or otherwise) would do).

That being said, it was obvious the kid wasn't hurt and that there was no intention to harm, and the teacher was having a bad day, but I still didn't like it. In a regular classroom that kind of action by the teacher would have been completely disallowed, but in the special needs classroom the teacher had the loophole available that the IEP allowed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo