Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 02:20 PM

976 posts, read 3,864,813 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen this new bridge near the Toledo area? I just made the drive up to Detroit this past weekend, and let me tell you this thing looked amazing. I got interested and decided to do some research on it. It is the biggest project in ODOT history. Its some $220 million i believe. When it is completed it will look good with the Toledo skyline. It is a cable-stayed bridge. It is expected to be completed around 2007.

Heres a site if you want to check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maumee_River_Crossing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 08:59 PM

123 posts, read 560,934 times
I have to drive thru the #$%@ detour under and around it almost every day. Not quite ready yet, but it most definately will be a nice bridge, and a heck of a lot better than the old Craig bridge! They were starting to install the cables last week, and there is still quite a gap in the road deck coming from the western approach. The eastern approach is mostly completed. Interesting project, wish I was a part of it.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:37 AM

It really was an amazing looking bridge when we passed it. Like you said, there was still a big gap in the middle of the bridge. It is expected to be completed by mid 2007.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:31 PM

95 posts, read 456,660 times
When that gets finished I might have to take a trip up there to see it, Toledo's only about an hour or two from here. I've never been to see where the Maumee ends it's journey from the center of Ft Wayne.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:38 PM

I believe they are also making a large freeway to connect Fort Wayne and Toledo. It has always suprised me that these two cities were not connected by a large freeway system.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:17 PM

154 posts, read 606,899 times
I see it twice a day. I can't wait until it is completed. I280 will be opened again on November 22nd (hopefully). And, hopefully no more accidents like the one that killed 4 workers in 2004. I remember driving by the crane wreck - what a mess. The accident put the bridge way behind schedule.

When it's finished, the city is going to make a park in the area south of the Maumee, if I remember correctly and fill in the area north of the Maumee and reconnect the neighborhoods.

The only negative will be that you can't access Summit Street directly from the bridge. You will have to get off at the Greenbelt Pkwy and work your way down, but thats minor.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:28 PM

95 posts, read 456,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
I believe they are also making a large freeway to connect Fort Wayne and Toledo. It has always suprised me that these two cities were not connected by a large freeway system.
From what I hear... US24 will be changed to a local Indiana road and they'll build an interstate road to take it's place for the truck and through traffic.

However, what I hear is the Interstate will end at the Indiana border and will transition back into the current US24 through to Toledo...

I guess Ohio is too concerned over the large amish population that use it.

I haven't heard much more than that from a year or two ago though.

IMO... they need to extend I76 or I78 from the east on through Indiana, merging with I 69 south of I469, and then continuing on west through Illinois to Bloomington.

Fort Wayne really really needs another interstate connecting us to our East/West neighbors.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:44 PM

123 posts, read 560,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesinFW View Post
From what I hear... US24 will be changed to a local Indiana road and they'll build an interstate road to take it's place for the truck and through traffic.

However, what I hear is the Interstate will end at the Indiana border and will transition back into the current US24 through to Toledo...

I guess Ohio is too concerned over the large amish population that use it.

I haven't heard much more than that from a year or two ago though.

IMO... they need to extend I76 or I78 from the east on through Indiana, merging with I 69 south of I469, and then continuing on west through Illinois to Bloomington.

Fort Wayne really really needs another interstate connecting us to our East/West neighbors.

True. They are building several bypasses around the small towns along the way, Waterville for one, and Defiance, OH. They should definitely scrap those bypass ideas and build a real interstate highway all the way thru to from Fort Wayne to I-475. I have to drive the US-24 stretch often, from Toledo to just across the Indiana border. It is an extremely dangerous stretch, with numerous accidents. It is especially bad driving a semi truck thru there. It is an accident waiting to happen, especially in bad weather.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:24 PM

Isnt that the truth, James. I know ODOT if planning a new freeway system with Toledo and Fort Wayne. I know if this happens both cities would benefit greatly.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:01 PM

143 posts, read 873,954 times
Drove by the Maumee Crossing/Glass City Skyway and I almost drove my car off the rode looking at this thing. It looks like something that belongs in Europe. It can be seen from miles away..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
View detailed profiles of: