Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 10:20 AM

555 posts, read 893,268 times

Advertisements

My (fairly new, even though we're both over 50) husband has been hired at UT and is liking both the job and the area. He is currently renting an apartment near the Botanical Gardens. I am also faculty (currently in WV) and am keeping an eye out for positions in the Toledo area. If I join him, we will probably need to buy a place as we have several cats. I have been a small town homeowner for decades, he an academic gypsy apartment dweller. If I move to Toledo, we're considering a condo as a compromise between our disparate lifestyles.

Here's the issue: I like charm (read: green, leafy, and not looking too much like a strip mall) and am used to being able to walk to amenities like libraries and shops. I like the area near the Botanical Gardens, though I've not explored much on foot. Where might we find condos in safe areas that have a similar feel and good walkability to amenities? Or do such things exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 08:59 AM

227 posts, read 626,710 times
You probably wont find this helpful... these are in different neighborhoods... BUT...

As a Realtor, I have been watching some condos that I think are great deals. The 99K one is in the warehouse district, within walking distance of restaurants, bars, ball park, farmers market etc...

Home for sale, 100 Huron, Toledo, OH 43604. Single-Family Residential - Wellesbowen.com

The other ones are in the Old West End: the historic mansion district...

Home for sale, 2561 Parkwood, Toledo, OH 43610. Single-Family Residential - Wellesbowen.com

(there are a lot of other stunning condos in the old west end.)

Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 AM

At any rate, condos that are actually in the area of the botanical garden... ( no idea what price range you are looking at, these are very reasonably priced.)

Home for sale, 2838 Westowne Ct., Toledo, OH 43615. Single-Family Residential - Wellesbowen.com

Home for sale, 6012 Black Oak, Toledo, OH 43615. Single-Family Residential - Wellesbowen.com

Old 09-20-2010, 05:17 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks, Ryan. We went to the farmer's market the last time I visited and saw the Huron building; that area is too urban for me--no real trees. (I'm used to Marietta, if you know southeast Ohio.) We've not visited the Old West End but have heard that it's beautiful (and where else could one live in a castle for $93,000?). How is it with regard to safety and walkability?

I'm somewhat familiar with the areas of the other two places; my husband is living off of Elmer.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,579 times
If you are looking at the UT area for condo's, you may want to try the Ottawa Hills area. This is a rather high end area within Toledo, but there are a few affordable condo's in the $70K range. They're typically 900 - 1200 Sq. Ft., but are usually very well maintained. Taxes may be a little higher, but in this price range, they should not be stratospheric.
I would suggest avoiding the Old West End if you are looking for a condo. That area, while having very beautiful homes, is still falling in value, and getting financing for a condo purchase may be more difficult due to the market in that area. If you're willing to ride out the decline, that's fine, just be aware of the situation. Good deals can be had, but it is a "buyer beware" market.
Other neighborhoods around UT are the Old Orchard area, although it is mostly older, single family housing, as well as the Westgate & Franklin Park areas. All of these are more residential in nature, with plenty of nearby shopping, libraries & such. There are a few condos on the market in these areas, ranging from $80 - 120K. You can always talk to a Realtor, I'm not one, but I am in the real estate business, and they can easily show you several areas that may suite your needs.
Have fun, and Go Rockets!

Old 09-21-2010, 05:09 AM

Thanks, both of you. I've wandered aaround the Old Orchard area. Given how depressed the Toledo real estate market seems to be (and we thought our part of the world was bad...), what are your thoughts about people being willing to rent to a sedate middle-aged couple with several lazy middle-aged cats? I find the standard apartment complex-type dwelling profoundly depressing (too much generic carpet and vinyl baseboards--yuck) and am used to quiet. (Of course, I'm under contract until May and don't have a job in Toledo yet, anyway.)

Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 PM

I own in the Old West End and walk there often. BUT there is a very obvious line between what is "gentrified" and what is transitional or blighted... and I find that that people that are attracted to the neighborhood enjoy more of a urban experience. I love the old west end; it isn't for every one.

Old Orchard is a good mix for the people that like the historic/ tree lined feel, but want to be further out from the central city. I think there was another poster that decided on Old Orchard to relocate to. BUT there are no condos listed in what I consider Old Orchard at this time.... but here is at least one example of what is on the market as far as single family... Home for sale, 2946 Darlington, Toledo, OH 43606. Single-Family Residential - Wellesbowen.com

Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 PM

896 posts, read 1,855,380 times
It sounds like Ryan is knowledgable authority on housing in Toledo, being a realtor.

By the sound of what youre saying you're into, I think Old Orchard is your best bet. Like he said, its mostly single family houses and not many condos. Fashion wise, I think the style of the neighborhood, with an abudance of beautiful tall trees, and very nice, but modest enough homes would appeal to you aesthetically. As far as function goes, I think it could suit you well enough too. The streets are all narrow, difficult for car maneuverability (whocares) but a plus for a pedestrian (not to mention theyre more attractive looking). If you lived toward the south end of the neighborhood, closest to the campus / Bancroft Rd, you'd be within easy walking distance of some of the college oriented businesses such as Maxwells Brew (coffeeshop/hookahbar) Omni (club) as well as Ferdos Restaurant. Not a lot of things really. The University area isnt actually that walkable as far as access to businesses and stuff goes. And to the north end of the Old Orchard neighborhood you have the Westgate area....which unfortunately is strip-mall like, but has some of the better options culturally speaking as far as the city goes. You have coffeeshops (Starbucks, Bigbys) Grocery (Churchills, Whole Foods, Bassetts Organic) and I really like Calvinos (classy pizza shop/winebar)

Im only 23, so my lifestyle doesnt exactly mirror yours, but I lived in a cheaper apartment just to the north of Old Orchard, with the Westgate area within walking distance of me. Its not really "walkable". I mean you can, (I walked to all the places everyday)...but the area is very busy with traffic and its not fun to cross Central or Secor. Its do-able though. And within the residential area of the neighborhood, I consider it very walkable. I used to go for walks late in the evening, and you feel completely safe, if anything encountering other people out strolling the sidewalk, even at that hour.

I think Old Orchard is the most suitable neighborhood for you guys. Good luck with whatever you decide upon!

Old 03-14-2012, 04:01 PM

Well, folks, here's the update. My current job has made me an offer too good to refuse (though I won't have the contract in hand until Monday the 19th as right now I'm in Toledo for spring break, so anything could happen--but probably won't), so we won't be relocating permanently to Toledo anytime soon. I will get to be here from August-December for a sabbatical and so can spend the weekends volunteering for your wonderful Metroparks and walking in some of the neighborhoods with which I've fallen in love (so many possible lives, so little time). Then it will be back to WV at least until retirement at the end of 2016, after which--who knows?

Tobias, even though we've never met, I have come to value your love for your city. Everyplace needs someone like you.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:36 AM

896 posts, read 1,855,380 times
Thanks. Ive probably only lived in the City of Toledo for a cumulative 3 years or so off and on, but I've always lived in Northwest Ohio, and have always worked and spent time in Toledo. I just bought my first house this past December and its going good. I'm trying to change my work schedule as we have tons of meetings in our neighborhood from blockwatches to development discussions to neighborhood clean UPS, and i miss out on a lot of it. City Planners told us at a meeting recently that they were soon going to be collecting information on what we want our future Library Village, especially the Sylvania corridor, to be like. Down to what type of zoning and style of buildings and everything. I guess they even want to talk to us about what happens at the old Jeep/Willy-Overland site because most of the original workers there hailed from our neighborhood. I'm excited about it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
View detailed profiles of: