Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:45 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,385,832 times

Advertisements

These hispanics must have a good education to help the Texas economy later, they can be an advantage !
But apparently it's not the case in this moment, they're rather bad at school.You know why ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,725,608 times
Why is this topic posted? If you want to discuss the merits/downsides of educating children whose parents decided to bring them here then go ahead and make your post clear. I am guessing the large majority of kids in our schools were born in the USA and -- support it or not -- by our laws they have the right to a public education. I do think kids who were born here will stay here for the most part. They will vote here, they will work here, they will marry and have more babies here. Where should they go to school?

Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,385,832 times
I guess 99% hispanic schools aren't rare, particularly South Texas.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,540,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The problem with that is that we have to educate them ALL, even illegal aliens...thanks to Plyler vs Doe.

Too bad for us.

We can debate the merits of stronger border control all day or whether or not we should deport the illegal aliens we have now. But as long as they ARE here already, they NEED to be educated like everyone else. The last thing we need is to allow an entire large segment of society to fall so far behind like we did to African-Americans in this country generations ago. The consequences of that reality would be much harsher than something as simple as setting up people that are here to succeed and contribute.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,229,961 times
As long as they get automatic citizenship for being born here, it will continue. No other country hands it out like we do. I don't blame Mexicans for coming here, since things are so bad south of the border. I would do the same thing in their place.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:42 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,288,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
These hispanics must have a good education to help the Texas economy later, they can be an advantage !
But apparently it's not the case in this moment, they're rather bad at school.You know why ?
Actually the same case can be made for any race. One huge factor is where you are raised. Not even considering race, a kid in a middle class neighborhood will be exposed to peers who aspire to graduate college, and he/she is not worried about the next meal. A kid who doesn't see this kind of exposure may not develop the same aspirations for college.

If we just look at East Texas, I can point you to poor towns with no minorities (just white people) that have very poor test scores because the towns are struggling, and the people that live there are struggling, and people are just concerned with putting food on the table instead of saving for college. I left a neighborhood like that for Houston, and I know the nearby towns were just as I described.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:21 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,641,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The real question is; how many are legal?
That and they breed like rabbits!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:56 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,593,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
That and they breed like rabbits!
Actually, they breed like Catholics. I've always found it ironic that white conservatives tout religion and family values....unless it's Hispanics.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,172,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
We can debate the merits of stronger border control all day or whether or not we should deport the illegal aliens we have now.

Not in this forum we can't. Illegal Immigration is off topic in EVERY local forum at City-Data. Please don't pursue this tangent here.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,823,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Actually, they breed like Catholics. I've always found it ironic that white conservatives tout religion and family values....unless it's Hispanics.
Not really when you look at the unwed motherhood rates. A large chunk have their status as "Single homemaker" which means welfare handouts.

Fornication is not promoted by the Catholic religion. Giving birth outside marriage to access welfare handouts should not be promoted by the Catholic leaders but lately that seems to be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: