Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:01 AM

10 posts, read 54,296 times

Advertisements

We are moving back to Texas (finally!) however to a "new" area to us. If all goes well my hubby would be at a job in Port Arthur. We would like to rent a house as well to make sure we like the area.
What areas do you recommend living in? Commuting for 40 min to an hour is ok for hubby.
I tried looking for rentals online and couldn't find anything whereas in the Dallas area there are thousands.
Anyone have any info on rental homes?
Schools?
Also I work in education as a teachers aide for special education so I would ultimately like to try to work for the same school system whereever my child attends.
Any advice on the area would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 09:42 AM

15,278 posts, read 35,717,057 times
Check the meterology and live upwind (or at least not downwind) of the refineries. Personally, I would live somewhere up in the 'Big Thicket' area north of Beaumont.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:52 PM

Default ..thicket?

Thanks for the advice. I have heard that about the refineries. What cities by name, would be decent?
Thanks!

Old 06-14-2007, 01:10 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,427,025 times
Try western Beaumont. That is the nicest area in the whole region.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:24 PM

3,270 posts, read 5,649,454 times
I am going to throw my$.02 in here. I am extremely familiar with the area having lived all over Jefferson County at one time or another. !st, I would cut off a hand before I would live in Pt. Arthur. For the most part it is a crime ridden slum with only the newer areas just south of FM 365 as even considered slightly desirable. For a higher standard of living I'd look at Port Neches, Nederland, Bridge City, and to a little lesser extent Groves. All these school districts are good (My mom retired from the Port Neches-Groves ISD as director of their Spec Ed dept more than 10 years ago).

All these towns will put you at most 15 minutes from Pt. Arthur. Prevailing winds are from the SE so anywhere north will put you in the fallout zone for industrial wastes. Just something to consider. Once your 25 miles or so north consider the fallout to be diffused enough to be OK as far as air quality IMO.

Also look at flood plains and try to get at least 25' above mean sea level. Port Arthur has a 16 foot storm levee around it that was almost breached in 1964 by Hurricane Carla. Also as stated above I would consider north of Beaumont. Do a search on "Beaumont" as I have posted some detailed info in the past.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:56 PM

Default homes

Thanks for the input. Definately want away from the flood zone so further north we will go. I have heard about the air quality as well. Son and I both have asthma so it looks like one more reason to go out further.
Is there much availability for rental homes/market?
Hubby will be out there in two weeks for another meeting.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:32 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,298,822 times
Definitely live in western Beaumont. I promise that you want to live nowhere near Port Arthur... it's REALLY bad for so many reasons.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:48 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,427,025 times
And when we say northern Beaumont, stay north of I-10.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 AM

2,285 posts, read 4,079,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex View Post
Any advice on the area would be great.
I would tend to echo the other advice. Port Neches-Groves and Nederland are a lot closer than western Beaumont. They have an industrial reputation but also have better school reputations than Beaumont.

The Hamshire-Fannett school district is semi-rural (rather than suburban) but is also fairly close to Port Arthur and would perhaps have some possibilities....I don't know about rentals there. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:33 PM

42 posts, read 177,575 times
If you can still find property or a home there you might want to try Lumberton, which is just to the north of Beaumont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas