Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 02:41 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,403,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert the robot View Post
I am originally from the Berkshires in western Massachusetts adjacent to the pioneer valley where i worked often. I lived in Mcallen, for 4 years. I had to leave for health and family reasons. I wish I was back there. I hope to return some day. There is very little crime there. There are bad areas like any other city its size in America. Mcallen has a population of about 140,000. The people are warm. It is predominantly Hispanic. There are a lot of People from Mexico and Central America. The winters are mild, usually warm and sunny even in January and February. It is inexpensive to live there. There are nice restaurants, excellent food. I am not sure about the night life. But there are a ton of young people there. Go with an open mind and heart and you will find the most wonderful people in the world in a unique part of the U.S. . You won't regret your time there with your girlfriend. You both might decide to settle there. Texas is what you make it. And you will find its charm and greatness if you look. It has been 3 years since I lived there, but I imagine these following places are still there: There is a huge martial arts school on Nolana near McColl Rd., across the street from the cinema center. There is a very good Vietnamese Restaurant there also. Across the street a little west is a great Fillopino restaurant . Forgive my bad spelling. . Near that restaurant is a great Chinese Restaurant. I think the Thai restaurant i used to go to is on 23rd st. There are a lot of restaurants on upper 10th of all tastes . There is a great whole foods store on 10th. I think it is near 10th and Hackberry. I am sorry I cant remember exactly where. Also just north of Mcallen is Edinburg which has a huge University. There is a lot of college stuff going on there which might be more your speed. I lived in Mcallen, but i could drive to the University in about 5 minutes. It is that close. I hope this info helps you.
I am glad you liked living in the Valley.I have only been there once but I was somewhat impressed....but it was a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 10:01 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,551,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Opinions will vary but I will give you mine.. If you live in SoCal you will not experience that much of a culture shock as there are many hispanics in that area as there are in McAllen.
Not as much as say someone from the mid-west or East Coast. Still, the Valley is nearly 80-85% hispanic where as Southern California can be anywhere from 35%-50% percent and much more diverse than the Valley with folks from all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas