Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 05:39 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,180,659 times

Advertisements

What's it like? Is it a decent place to live if you're conservative? How's the food? That sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:53 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,962,314 times
What do you mean "is it a decent place to live if you're a conservative"? The food is no different from any other city in the U.S. The climate is warm most of the year-round, so a lot of homes don't have fireplaces. The architecture is primarily stucco/tiled roofs as it is in much of the southern border areas. Lots and lots of palm trees.McAllen CVB | McAllen, Texas

Old 08-13-2010, 12:55 PM

687 posts, read 1,579,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
What's it like? Is it a decent place to live if you're conservative? How's the food? That sort of thing.
If being around other conservatives is that important to you, I doubt that you would like it. It's heavily Democratic and about 90% Hispanic. There are great restaurants down there, many of them local and family-owned places. Things there move at a slower pace, and I find it pretty relaxing. The biggest disadvantage is that you're a long way from pretty much everywhere else in the United States.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:22 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,495,470 times
Well I may be biased (I live in McAllen).. Your political persuasion will not matter. Who cares if it's heavily Democratic. There are still a lot of conservatives. There are many food choices including many national well known chains and independently owned restaurants. We are distant from the rest of the country but again so what, we have an airport served by Continental, American, Delta etc. You are just a plane ride away from anywhere else. Nearest big city would be San Antonio (4 hour drive). The beach is near and that is nice. The economy is doing well. Not bad at all relatively speaking.. One drawback however are the summer temperatures, BUT that can be remedied with a good air conditioner. Heck, the whole country is in a heat wave anyway. It is actually hotter in some other locations north of here. Right now it is 97 (hot) in McAllen but in Kansas City it is 102 (hotter).

Old 08-13-2010, 08:52 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,180,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
What do you mean "is it a decent place to live if you're a conservative"?
It seems like people always ask here if a place is good if you're this or that. I'm conservative. I'd prefer to live somewhere where people believe similar things to me because unfortunately politics and religion are "not polite dinner conversation." I get that, but are they two of the things I'm most interested in so if I can't talk about them with people I generally can't carry on much of a conversation.

Plus a place with a lot of conservatives has long term potential for staying a good place to live since you are less likely to get liberal policies put in place to make living there a hassle.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,962,314 times
In McAllen, nobody gives a **** what political persuasion you prefer. People here don't care what you think about politically, or where or if you go to church, etc. If that's a big deal to you, check out East Texas. Here, we don't care!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:25 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,498,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
In McAllen, nobody gives a **** what political persuasion you prefer. People here don't care what you think about politically, or where or if you go to church, etc. If that's a big deal to you, check out East Texas. Here, we don't care!
I will agree, if politics and religion dominate your social like you'll probably be miserable anywhere 80 miles or more west of the MS/AL line.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:22 AM

687 posts, read 1,579,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Plus a place with a lot of conservatives has long term potential for staying a good place to live since you are less likely to get liberal policies put in place to make living there a hassle.
If that were true, places like Mississippi and Alabama wouldn't be amongst the poorest states in the country.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:43 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,269,505 times
McAllen: Lets's see. Hot, flat, palm trees, strip malls. Lots of new, cheap McMansions and jobs in the medical field. Although I think the later might be put to a hault soon as the feds are investigating the corruption down there. They're trying to improve the night life. Still, just a laid back small town imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas