Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 05:31 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,533,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummersEve View Post
When I traveled to Texas I was SHOCKED at how friendly the people were. I mean even driving people will nod at you to say hello. SHOCKING. I think the unfriendly people are probably transplants and aren't real Texans.

I travel alot and I have to say that some of the people in Arizonia were down right mean. I don't know if they were just angry day workers or just hated their jobs but one lady in a gas station just glared at me when I smiled at her. Then I was in a hotel and I was carrying my bags from the car and 3 maids were going by in a golf cart, they had to stop for me since I was in the road and they glared at me like I was in their way. Just being rude. It was at the Embassy and when I checked out and was asked about my stay there I told them about the incident. I never say anything but this was down right rude to give a guest an evil look.

It wasn't just a fluke. I went to AZ about 6 times in 2 years and stayed 2-3 weeks each time and noticed the same thing over and over. It actually made me change my mind about moving there. I don't want to live in an area where people glare at you when you smile at them.
Someone who totally agrees with me about the mannerisms of people in Arizona. Thank you very much. I know exactly what you mean. Just about everywhere, in Arizona, people just want to glare at you if you say hi or smile. It's crazy and scary here to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 06:26 PM

304 posts, read 1,128,344 times
Default changeofpace

Ever been to Boston? Hotel clerk, waitress, bus driver, shuttle driver and a women at the corner downtown who I asked for directions, all were just plain RUDE! "Minnesota Nice" only when minnesotans know you, otherwise your left fending for yourself. Oklahoma City, New York (Manhattan), Toronto, LA and Chicago all seemed nice as well. I have spent the most time in Corpus Christi and found everyone so far very friendly. Spending another week in Corpus in 2 weeks, we'll see if my opinion stays the same.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:15 AM

85 posts, read 208,437 times
Texas is probably the most friendly State in the Union. It is similar to many Southern states in that regard. It probably stems back to a slower pace of traditional agricultural/ranching life in 19th century.

Less-populated West Texas & the Panhandle seem to be more friendly than the population centers. So rudeness tends to correlate with overcrowding. New York is famous for its rudeness, but it might just be the constant elbowing for space on the sidewalks, roads, and bridges that elevates anger.

Texas has a gigantic population, but it also has a gigantic land area. Depsite constant complaints of traffic on this forum, the traffic is much less of an issue than Northeastern cities. Most Texans have plenty of space and as a result have less rudeness.

Even with the massive relocation of Californians and New Yorkers, the overall ease of overcrowding tends to dull their pre-conditioned aggressions. Within a few months, even the hardest New Yorkers catch the Texas friendly-fever smile and say hello.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:23 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,533,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
Ever been to Boston? Hotel clerk, waitress, bus driver, shuttle driver and a women at the corner downtown who I asked for directions, all were just plain RUDE! "Minnesota Nice" only when minnesotans know you, otherwise your left fending for yourself. Oklahoma City, New York (Manhattan), Toronto, LA and Chicago all seemed nice as well. I have spent the most time in Corpus Christi and found everyone so far very friendly. Spending another week in Corpus in 2 weeks, we'll see if my opinion stays the same.
Oh, same thing here too, in Prescott, Az. In Prescott they are only nice to you if they know you really well. If they don't, then they kind of glare at you and cut you off very soon if you're out having a good time. "Prescott Nice" is what I call it.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:59 PM

89 posts, read 505,668 times
Well, I am glad to see others agree about AZ.It's not just the day workers and maids that are mean, I was at a Spa in Sedona once and I was at the sink washing my hands and there was a "local" lady who walked up and was washing her hands. Glared at me in the mirror, I smiled at her and she glared more. Dried her hands, fluffed her big bushy hair and walked away leaving the water ON and left big long black hairs all over the counter and sink for the next person. So what was that about? Yuck! She must have been upset I was in HER spa! LOL

Old 08-16-2019, 12:57 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,419,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovintexas View Post
I think Texas is the friendliest state I've ever visited (having the friendliest people I've ever met.) Other states are friendly too, but in Texas I didn't feel like a guest; I felt like one of the family.

I know warmth and congeniality are dependent on individuals. I don't know what it is, but Texas is an appropriate name for a friendly state (remember, Tejas is short for "friend.") I've had good experiences with other states: Oklahoma, Wyoming, and parts of Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee.

Anyhow, input welcome. Thanks!
I think there's lots of friendly people here in Texas.I dont know how it compares with all the other states because i have only been to a handful of states.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:00 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,096,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I think there's lots of friendly people here in Texas.I dont know how it compares with all the other states because i have only been to a handful of states.
Could we leave this thread dead for another 12 years, lol. Help !

Old 08-18-2019, 02:51 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,419,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Could we leave this thread dead for another 12 years, lol. Help !
city data wants people to update old threads,Mark Senior.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:57 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,096,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
city data wants people to update old threads,Mark Senior.
Yes, you said before and I add a little to my comment each time you take it upon yourself, like NO one else on city-data that I know of, in adding these dead threads back-up to start all over.

It would just be nice, IF someone else that was simply wanted to start what they thought was a NEW thread, would have started this thread now.

I should not care this much, I need to admit, but I don't want to KNOW what others think the FRIENDLESS rating of Texas is compared to other states, IMHO we have enough needless, useless opinions filling all media outlets in America already, way too MUCH, IMHO, which is adding at least, to such a divisive country we already have now in this country, IMHO.

Yeah, I TOO, need to get off of here and get more of a life, yes I KNOW I know. So far, I'm working on it, I'm just not trying hard enough to break this habit, which is almost an addiction. oh me, lol

Old 08-19-2019, 10:23 AM

863 posts, read 686,576 times
No comparison.

Even our largest cities have the warmth of a small town.

God Bless Texas

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas