Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 05:14 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,278,949 times

Advertisements

We are staying less than a mile from Greune to get away from the city (Houston) for my birthday. I have now realized that this is also Valentines day weekend (silly me) so I have to come up with something romantic on the 14th. What are some nice couple-type things to do in New Braunfels? I noticed a slick restaurant on Lake Travis called Oasis, but that is about 70 miles from where we are staying. Can anyone give me some suggestions? What's the drive like from Greune to Lake Travis? What kind of activities are there on Canyon Lake? New Braunfels? Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 03:44 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,789,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
We are staying less than a mile from Greune to get away from the city (Houston) for my birthday. I have now realized that this is also Valentines day weekend (silly me) so I have to come up with something romantic on the 14th. What are some nice couple-type things to do in New Braunfels? I noticed a slick restaurant on Lake Travis called Oasis, but that is about 70 miles from where we are staying. Can anyone give me some suggestions? What's the drive like from Greune to Lake Travis? What kind of activities are there on Canyon Lake? New Braunfels? Thanks in advance!!!
I lived in NB for 8 years & now live 5 miles from the Oasis. I wouldn't drive 7 miles (much less 70 miles....90 minutes minimum) to go there. It's a good place to have a beer & split some $18 nachos & watch the sun set (assuming you're less than 5 minutes from it). Very average food....you're paying for the view.

In NB, i assume you've perused the Gruene websites. (Gruene Hall, Gristmill etc....if not, do so)

The Gristmill River Restaurant & Bar in Gruene Historic District

Gruene Hall Official Home Page

I like the Gristmill for a mid - late afternoon steak or chicken fried meal (before the evening crush) but you probably already know it's not Valentine's Day fancy.

A GREAT restaurant in downtown NB is the Huisache Grill & it would be perfect for V Day (but make a reservation). It's a block east of the plaza on San Antonio St.....actually behind a building at the RR tracks.

Welcome to Huisache Grill and Wine Bar | home

Myron's Steakhouse is an upscale restaurant that opened the year i left. It gets great reviews & i've heard good things, but I can't personally vouch. (It's around the corner from Huisache.)

Myron's Prime Steakhouse

Here's another one that's been highly thought of for Vday....about 15 miles west of NB (nice hill country drive). Again...i can't personally vouch. Might want to ask the folks in SA for their faves.

The Vineyards Restaurant - Map and Directions (http://www.thevineyards.org/map.php - broken link)

Don't forget to get pastries at Naeglins, BBQ at Granzin's (the locals place) or Coopers (state ranked), but avoid Rudy's (way overrated).

Spend a couple of hours one early morning at Landa Park (before the crowds get there). Very pretty with springs, ducks etc.

Also, most people go to Gruene Hall at night....i prefer the afternoon session. It's free & less crowded.

Have fun.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:15 PM

Yeah we read about the Greune area so we are staying at a B&B real close that's supposed to sit right on the Guadalupe.

Thanks so much on the advice on Oasis. I would have been quite upset to discover we drove all the way from Houston just to eat at a Bennigans with a view. And especially thanks for the advice on the restaurants, parks, etc. That's all I needed to make this a really nice Valentine's day weekend We'll definitely stop by the park and Greune Hall in the afternoon - she likes to dance, but I don't like big crowds so I appreciate that tip also! The restaurants you listed look perfect for our weekend.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 AM

Here's a link for Naeglin's (across from the Courthouse near the Plaza). Definitely worth a stop before or after visiting Landa Park (a few blocks away).

Naegelin's Bakery--Quality Baked Goods Since 1868

Here's a link for Landa Park:

New Braunfels, TX - Official Website - Landa Park

After visiting the park & it's springs, drive round the immediate area for an hour. Check out the Wursthall, the Power Plant, check out the empty Schlitterbahn park, get out near the NB Tube Chute & stroll along the Comal River. It'll be a great time to "get your bearings" without crowds in the event you want to return during the summer.

Also i would assume at the visitor center there would be walking maps or driving tours to check out downtown, the old homes & neighborhoods (all within a mile of the Plaza (which New Braunfelsers call the town square) & Landa Park).

You might check on tripadvisor website for additional ideas. Normally lots of opinions are given & they're normally local tips as opposed to lame touristy stuff. (& don't tell your wife there's an outlet mall 20 miles up the road, or you'll blow a whole day up there.

Have fun & report back.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 PM

Well after reading those links I can now safely say there is no way we will leave New Braunfels without a stop at Naegelin's. I'll keep hush hush about the outlet mall, maybe I'll let her know AFTER we leave This will be a great weekend getaway. Thanks again, and I'll report back later!

Old 02-04-2010, 02:19 PM

35 posts, read 99,664 times
Ditto on most of the info Hound has given.

Only thing I'd suggest is Gruene River Grill over Gristmill. They're next door to each other and I think the menu is a bit better there.

Another place in Gruene that has become a favorite of ours is The Gruene Door. Very small and cozy and I haven't really had anything there that's bad. I have a feeling it's practically right across the road from where you're staying.

Granzin's for the tea while you're strolling along downtown checking out the shops.

Definitely skip Oasis!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 04:49 PM

Thanks for jumping in Lea.

It's been 5 years since i've lived there (though i visit very often), so it's good to hear there's a couple more spots to try in Gruene.

I know it's touristy, but i DO love the Gristmill when it's off peak or off season. Love the burgers, the CFS, the peppered steak & the ginormous deserts....but I try to avoid the crowds.

Granzin's BBQ (yumm)....best tea, best potato salad EVER, very good sliced beef, very good links & great chopped beef (& i don't normally like chopped beef). Coopers BBQ is good for a change, too.

Lea...where's the best Mexican in town. I like the dives on W. San Antonio St. & the dive place next to Coopers (wife wouldn't go with me though ). Are there any NEW places...or is it still the (too) gringo friendly Mamacitas, & the place at Seguin St. & Bus. 35 (& the Gruene/Verde place)?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 PM

I'm taking notes! Gonna print this page when we takeoff next week. You guys have saved my neck because all I was thinking about was some R&R for my birthday (12th) She was silent about the 14th. Probably testing me haha!

Old 02-05-2010, 10:43 AM

35 posts, read 99,664 times
Hound...still the same Mexican spots. Los Gallos has opened up a smaller spot on Common and Union (where the Greek place was). It's nice in that you don't have to fight the crowds. The old pizza hut on seguin street is a mexican place now that's good for breakfast. By far the best homemade corn tortillas are at the dive by Holy Family Church on the westside. Not sure what it's called now that I started typing about it.

Oh...and Herbert's (from San Marcos fame)has opened over off the loop and 46 (the Oak Run area, shopping center, they took over Librados) but I've heard that it's not near as good as the SM branch.

I'd definitely try Gruene Door when you're in town though...it's about a year old I think. The owners run, or did, Gruene Tea Room. Have been there for lunch only, but I've heard rave reviews about dinner as well. And all desserts are supposed to be great.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:48 PM

Absolutely fantastic. Got back today from 2 nights at Lambs Rest Inn, which deserves another thread on it's own. Fantastic B&B all around - location, owners, proximity to Greune, serenity, etc. We spent a good amount of time relaxing on the deck overlooking the Guadalupe when the temp finally warmed up. We just sat there and listened to the rushing water while watching deer, squirrels, ducks, a woodpecker, and other wildlife. We went to Greune both nights and ate at the Gristmill and the Greune River Grill . We didn't make it to every place on our list, but to me when you are in the Hill Country you have to throw away check lists. Naegelins is another 5 thumbs up. The German pretzels will getcha! We were full from the baked goods (which will not please my doctor) so we only had soup and salad at Huisache. Still it was great. Downtown N. Braunfels is great. I am from a small E. Texas town that at one time had the same population as N. Braunfels, so to see a thriving downtown always brings a smile to my face . The railroad museum was awesome, too! You know originally we were planning to go to Monterey Ca for my birthday weekend, but some unplanned expenses crept up on us. I am glad we stayed in Tx because that was one of the best weekends I have ever had. When we finally packed our suitcases I swear she asked me 3 times "When are we coming back?"

Thank y'all for all the advice. Multiple times I was telling her - "you know the folks on the forum said to try this or not to do this." And the SAME sentiments were echoed from our neighbors at the Bed and Breakfast. I'm sure y'all saved us from any unpleasant experiences! I truly appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas