Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 22,369 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move out of Washington, reasons obvious, and planning to move to New Braunfels. We keep hearing great things about the place- And close to 2 great cities.
I spent about 2 weeks in Austin, and visited San Antonio... I loved both places. So I was excited to hear about us moving down to the area! But... I have never been to New Braunfels.
My boyfriend is from Texas and when I asked him about the place he just said, "You DO know why its really cheap living there... Right?" Like it was a horrible place to live. I asked him why he didn't like it there and he just told me "I'll know when I go there."
Hm...
But sorry to him... I trust the 25+ people who told me how great the area was...
But out of curiousity- Anyone know what he was talking about?
Better yet, can someone give me the good and bad?

Well. Either way... I'm out of WA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 10:33 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,241,867 times
The answer to the question in your title is... no.

New Braunfels is one of the best places in Texas. It's in the hill country, it has Schlitterbahn, it has two great rivers for tubing. A bunch of new retail being built there, etc. Downtown New Braunfels is a great place. Also, Gruene is a really cool place as well.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:52 AM

95 posts, read 434,449 times
It is beautiful- a lot of tourist in the summer going down the river.....

Do you have a job? I've not lived there but for some reason think it may be a little higher cost of living and not a ton of jobs. I could be SO wrong. I just figure that- otherwise I'd be there myself .\

Old 09-26-2006, 08:25 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,393 times
I have lived in this area all my life and never once heard New Braunfels described as bad. Pretty boring place to live in the 70s yes but bad no. Its a great place these days. I live on the NW side of San Antonio now but went out there just last week with my kids and it has built up alot. I have several friends in the NB area and they love it. If ya have to commute to SA for a job its not to bad. Good place to live if ya ask me.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:05 PM

121 posts, read 814,250 times
I'm not as knowledgable about New Braunfels as the others that have responded so far, but in short, no, I can't name anything "bad" about New Braunfels. Yall should like it. Would love to hear a rebuttal from the boyfriend.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:47 PM

138 posts, read 750,938 times
New Braunfels is one of the best small towns in Texas. Lots of German influence, food, great parks, one of the best bakeries in the USA. Right on the interstate, near Austin and San Antonio., near the beautiful Hill
Country of Texas. I was there from East Texas just two weeks ago for the umteenth time and I love it. Your friend is mistaken, in my view.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:00 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,202 times
I was born in Austin. It's been a while since I've been back but I always thought NB seemed really cool.

Helluva lot more affordable thatn Austin too. While Austin is a splendid town, it's gotten crazy crowded and expensive.

I'm in Jokelahoma at the moment, with plans to move back up North, but the only reason I wouldn't live in Texas (especially around the Austin/San Antonio area) is because of the summer heat. Can't take it.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:17 PM

138 posts, read 750,938 times
Hi Griffis, the summer heat is a problem, but Austin/San Antonio is cooler than where I live. And, they at least have been getting some rain lately. I live in supposedly green and wetter East Texas and our municipal water supply lake is down about 10 feet. We are in the middle of a two year drought.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:51 PM

3 posts, read 22,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_catch_tree_bass View Post
I'm not as knowledgable about New Braunfels as the others that have responded so far, but in short, no, I can't name anything "bad" about New Braunfels. Yall should like it. Would love to hear a rebuttal from the boyfriend.
Yeah, I'm not getting why he doesn't like the place- I hear way to many great things about NB
But... I guess I'll know when I go there next month

Old 09-27-2006, 02:11 PM

95 posts, read 434,449 times
It is cheaper than austin, but what is the job market like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas