Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What characteristics do you prefer in your favorite Texas restaurant?
Elegant Decor 1 3.85%
Cheap Eats 4 15.38%
Rustic/Hole-In-The-Wall 12 46.15%
Patio With Nice View 8 30.77%
Expensive, Fine Dining 1 3.85%
Middle-Of-The-Road Decor 1 3.85%
Inexpensive-To-Moderate, But Good 11 42.31%
Indoor Seating/Air-Conditioned 7 26.92%
1950s-Style Diner 4 15.38%
Truck Stop 2 7.69%
Non-Chain Local Fast Food 5 19.23%
Outdoor Ranch Seating 1 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:07 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
By the way, folks, if you've got pictures to offer of your very favorite Texas restaurant (the building or that great plate of yours), then bring 'em. We want to see them.

Also, don't forget our thread poll if you haven't yet voted. We'll do this until November 26, so be sure to vote when you can. All those things within your favorite eating place and what you require of it (besides the fact that the food is obviously good), and you can offer multiple answers. Just think: there are no wrong answers.
Sorry, ol' buddy -- and it pains me to say it on yer own thread -- but there IS a wrong answer. It is the "Expensive/Fine Dining" choice.

C'mon bud. No self-respecting native Texas, when discussing food matters, would choose such a locale to partake. Transplanted yankees might, but not those of us who bleed Lone Stars.

But I know you know that, so will just chalk it up to you showing Texas/Southern hospitality to non-natives and givin' 'em a choice. That is, we can keep our comfort food...and they can have their nails and snails and puppy dog tails (and endive salad and quiche! ).

Seriously, again, great thread, Case!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 10:39 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The food be delicious and the place clean with good service. Usually a good steak or seafood place;barbeque is so common and so many places that service good barbeque in Texas.Barbeque liike mexican food varies with taste really as to which is good.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:48 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Hey, now waitaminit, TR.....I'll have you know that my green chile cheese quiche is delicious! That and a plate of freshly sliced garden tomatoes (picked minutes before eating) with coffee is out of this world......

But they can keep the snails....and raw fish/beef.....*gag*

Old 11-07-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Hey, now waitaminit, TR.....I'll have you know that my green chile cheese quiche is delicious! That and a plate of freshly sliced garden tomatoes (picked minutes before eating) with coffee is out of this world......

But they can keep the snails....and raw fish/beef.....*gag*
Well, sweetheart, leave the quiche part out of it and you and me will have no problem at all!

Tomatoes? I figure that if home-grown and cold and heavily salted, they will easily fit into the catagory of things that will make the Health-Food Gestapo put ya on their suspicion list...

I swear to gawd...don't those people have anything better to do...?

Probably not. So let's keep this thead going and give THEM heart-attacks! WE will go out with comfort food. They will go out over the thought of it. Hee Hee.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Well, sweetheart, leave the quiche part out of it and you and me will have no problem at all!

Tomatoes? I figure that if home-grown and cold and heavily salted, they will easily fit into the catagory of things that will make the Health-Food Gestapo put ya on their suspicion list...

I swear to gawd...don't those people have anything better to do...?

Probably not. So let's keep this thead going and give THEM heart-attacks! WE will go out with comfort food. They will go out over the thought of it. Hee Hee.
LOL!! Uh huh......

I'm having a plate of green beef enchiladas for lunch.....but have no tomatoes today......the last bush still has a few biggies left to ripen!!

Old 11-07-2009, 07:53 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Default There Is, Too, Such A Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Sorry, ol' buddy -- and it pains me to say it on yer own thread -- but there IS a wrong answer. It is the "Expensive/Fine Dining" choice.

C'mon bud. No self-respecting native Texas, when discussing food matters, would choose such a locale to partake. Transplanted yankees might, but not those of us who bleed Lone Stars.

But I know you know that, so will just chalk it up to you showing Texas/Southern hospitality to non-natives and givin' 'em a choice. That is, we can keep our comfort food...and they can have their nails and snails and puppy dog tails (and endive salad and quiche! ).

Seriously, again, great thread, Case!

There is fine dining, Texas-style, that is out there. You just have to look (Perini Ranch near Abilene comes to mind). They're out there.

Any of you others have a favorite?

Old 11-07-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
There is fine dining, Texas-style, that is out there. You just have to look (Perini Ranch near Abilene comes to mind). They're out there.

Any of you others have a favorite?
Well, at LEAST it has "Ranch" in the name!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:39 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Dont know what Luby's or Catfish Joints fall under. Whataburger is a favorite of mine as well. You know, once you leave Texas the kind of burger that Whataburger serves is really hard to find. (that being the big burgers, with grilled buns, and all the toppings you could ask for including jalepeno.)

Old 11-08-2009, 01:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Around here, Luby's is starting to fall under bankruptcy. They are closing eight restaurants in the DFW area. I like them, but they are overpriced, and I think they made a mistake in trying to get fancy and appeal to gourmands. It's a cafeteria, not a fine-dining restaurant. They should be serving good plain food at reasonable prices.

I do like Whataburgers, though. My only complaint is that some locations are better than others. I have a great one not far away, but an even closer one that is mediocre.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Around here, Luby's is starting to fall under bankruptcy. They are closing eight restaurants in the DFW area. I like them, but they are overpriced, and I think they made a mistake in trying to get fancy and appeal to gourmands. It's a cafeteria, not a fine-dining restaurant. They should be serving good plain food at reasonable prices.

I agree with this, totally. Like you say, CatMan, they have excellent food...but the prices are wayyyyyy too high for what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas