Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 10:22 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,566,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You still have Midtown which has no high-rises except HCC. (I think)
true.. i wonder if midtown will ever get any high rises. imagine if a few residential highrises were built around the new "super block park". im talking about you, parking lot to the south of the park, bound by Travis/Anita/Main/Rosalie.. it would be perfect place for a tall building overlooking the park. there are a few other parking lots nearby as well. one can dream..

Old 08-09-2013, 10:49 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
true.. i wonder if midtown will ever get any high rises. imagine if a few residential highrises were built around the new "super block park". im talking about you, parking lot to the south of the park, bound by Travis/Anita/Main/Rosalie.. it would be perfect place for a tall building overlooking the park. there are a few other parking lots nearby as well. one can dream..
There's an empty lot south of HCC as well. I would rather Midtown stay how it is, just fill up those storefronts and get some mid-rise buildings in there.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:55 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
Gotcha. Even when I was younger we took the rail down to Reliant to watch a game. I don't remember it before the rail was built. Where would it be closed at?

You still have Midtown which has no high-rises except HCC. (I think)
Still one step closer. lol

Old 08-10-2013, 04:01 PM

568 posts, read 901,930 times
During the day- Houston, no contest.

At night- Dallas, no contest.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Gotcha. Even when I was younger we took the rail down to Reliant to watch a game. I don't remember it before the rail was built. Where would it be closed at?
Before the rail there were tons and tons of traffic on that street. Most of the downtown buses ran along main or a block or two away. The The rail cleaned up the corridor getting rid of the routes of the 1, 5, 52, 55, 60, 14, 25 etc

During certain times of day almost all these buses were competing for the same spot

Old 08-11-2013, 04:52 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,270 times
Quote:
People do drive on Main St but I think it could be a good idea to close it to vehicular traffic.
Downtown Houston has a lot of potential, but the fast moving traffic and one ways are holding it back. Main Street seems to work well with just two vehicle lanes, but the north side of main could probably work without the vehicle lanes at all.

I would like Houston to go on a serious road diet. The narrow streets with the wide sidewalks have the most development in midtown, and it would be cool to see all of the surface lots on south main develop as mixed uses. Especially, since it's so close to the Houston Pavilion. Maybe even, a Macy's store return. I loved that store bought a great swimsuit there once

Old 08-11-2013, 07:09 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
The wide streets and one ways aren't a problem. There are plenty of cities with wide steets and one ways. Main street is crap with two vehicular lanes and should be closed to cars throughout downtown. The problem downtown houston had was the same problem many sunbelt cities had with their downtown. Now its coming back. I was in downtown last night and it was very active. Downtown has become more of a destination and you are starting to see new residential towers go up in the downtown loop.

I do think making some streets two way is not a bad idea and the city already has plans to add linear parks on some downtown streets (closer to Midtown).

Last edited by Trae713; 08-11-2013 at 07:17 AM..

Old 08-11-2013, 10:56 AM

581 posts, read 924,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
The wide streets and one ways aren't a problem. There are plenty of cities with wide steets and one ways. Main street is crap with two vehicular lanes and should be closed to cars throughout downtown. The problem downtown houston had was the same problem many sunbelt cities had with their downtown. Now its coming back. I was in downtown last night and it was very active. Downtown has become more of a destination and you are starting to see new residential towers go up in the downtown loop.

I do think making some streets two way is not a bad idea and the city already has plans to add linear parks on some downtown streets (closer to Midtown).
I came to the realization recently that if a huge 200 foot tsunami wave were to flood into Houston from the Gulf of Mexico, the massive wall built up along the east side of downtown constructed of the materials of elevated freeways, convention centers, convention center hotels, and sports venues would all serve as a dam protecting the rest of downtown Houston from destruction. As it stands now, even common people themselves have a very difficult time getting into downtown from this vantage point. But I will admit that I would still be able to see the principle attraction of the huge skyscrapers over this massive elongated edifice so I really wouldn't have a reason to go downtown.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:26 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
The wide streets and one ways aren't a problem. There are plenty of cities with wide steets and one ways.

Wide streets and one-ways aren't the end all of a downtown but it can sure make a difference. More rail lines, possibly along W Gray, along with the East line.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:47 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,566,370 times
Quote:
Wide streets and one-ways aren't the end all of a downtown but it can sure make a difference. More rail lines, possibly along W Gray, along with the East line.
how about a rail line going past the Toyota Center, to the Pavilions? im really hoping the East End gets this streetcar system. it will be a huge boost to the area and set a great example for how other areas like Midtown and Uptown could hopefully develop to provide more appealing than bus transit, thats cheaper than light rail, yet still rail transit. tie into the light rail/BRT lines, and it extends the "last mile" issue of how far of an area rail serves around the light rail(or temporary BRT) lines.

(i just reread this paragraph and it almost sounded like i think they should build streetcar systems instead of the uptown/university lines. thats not what i meant at all, im all for the light rail plan Houston has. i just think streetcars could be a great/cheaper way to connect more people to the lightrail system)

It's full speed ahead on streetcars in EaDo: Public transit plan's ... - CultureMap Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas