Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 02:24 PM

581 posts, read 925,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT View Post
Well if you sweep and mop up EVERYTHING from FW to most of north Texas to practically Oklahoma, then yea, you can create a laughable edge. Houston is a 'Lone Star' and doesn't need crutches like Dallas to try to compete. Dallas doesn't kick butt, Dallas SUCKS BUTT! It's the 3rd largest city in Texas, and has always had a jealous hate-filled heart for much bigger and better Houston. Dallas cheerleaders like pinkyman, go through great pains to twist and turn and squeeze whatever they can to try to compete with Houston. Oh Dallas, poor thing.

Hey Dallas/Binkyman go play in your tired warehouses, vacant downtown offices and crusty hotels (Houston's building plenty of fabulous NEW ones), and leave Houston alone. Go pick on someone your own size: like Philly, Phoenix, San Diego, or lol...San Antonio. BTW this thread is about SKYLINES, not the nonsense you continually post. But, oh yea, Houston whups Dallas' @ss on skylines.
Strangely, the criteria always used in this thread for a skyline is the new skyscraper. But Dallas has always had huge numbers of those four, five, and six story buildings that build up to even taller buildings, and finally to the tallest of the skyscrapers. In Houston, as there aren't the huge numbers of small businesses that Dallas has, there is a shear cliff effect creating a drop off from skyscrapers built to house the huge energy companies to the wild grasses of swamp land that surround it.

This is why you won't ever hear a rooster crowing near downtown Dallas as there are loads of minor office buildings in the neighborhoods surrounding it. This isn't the case at all with downtown Houston. Indeed, the calls of roosters do echo off the glass walls of all those skyscrapers in downtown Houston.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:46 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,459,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT View Post
Well if you sweep and mop up EVERYTHING from FW to most of north Texas to practically Oklahoma, then yea, you can create a laughable edge. Houston is a 'Lone Star' and doesn't need crutches like Dallas to try to compete. Dallas doesn't kick butt, Dallas SUCKS BUTT! It's the 3rd largest city in Texas, and has always had a jealous hate-filled heart for much bigger and better Houston. Dallas cheerleaders like pinkyman, go through great pains to twist and turn and squeeze whatever they can to try to compete with Houston. Oh Dallas, poor thing.

Hey Dallas/Binkyman go play in your tired warehouses, vacant downtown offices and crusty hotels (Houston's building plenty of fabulous NEW ones), and leave Houston alone. Go pick on someone your own size: like Philly, Phoenix, San Diego, or lol...San Antonio. BTW this thread is about SKYLINES, not the nonsense you continually post. But, oh yea, Houston whups Dallas' @ss on skylines.
IDK about that....its only bigger.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:03 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,151,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
Indeed, but Midtown has three elevated walls of concrete surrounding it. Do your homework! There is that elevated feeder thing coming in from the southwest along I-69. Then there is that massive trench to the east that is utilized to hold water during monsoon season.
I dont have to do my home work I have lived there... the elevated wall of conceret you speak of have not hindered its growth.. of the area for the very simple reason they sit at the tail end of what is defined as midtown, only a small part pastes southwest, and even on that part you have mentioned has developed town homes and condos .. the massive trench you are talkning about does not even run thru what is considered midtown, it runs across the eastern section of the medical center next to the Herman park .. and to the west formes what is know as the muesum district..it does not touch the areas defined as midtown, that is third ward along mcgregor you are thinking about and that is the third ward area not midtown

Last edited by Truth713; 08-13-2013 at 03:20 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
I dont have to do my home work I have lived there... the elevated wall of conceret you speak of have not hindered its growth.. of the area for the very simple reason they sit at the tail end of what is defined as midtown, only a small part pastes southwest, and even on that part you have mentioned has developed town homes and condos .. the massive trench you are talkning about does not even run thru what is considered midtown, it runs across the eastern section of the medical center next to the Herman park .. and to the west formes what is know as the muesum district..it does not touch the areas defined as midtown, that is third ward along mcgregor you are thinking about and that is the third ward area not midtown
You are wasting time here assuming I don't know what Midtown is. Again, Midtown won't ever become anything until it gets well connected enough to survive economic downturns. By that, I mean revive well enough afterwards when, after the economic recovery begin to happen, old developments get left behind in a hurry by those of the fickled rich who have enough money to be led away towards the next best thing, gadget, and technology.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:09 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,151,805 times
Quote:
You are wasting time here assuming I don't know what Midtown is. Again, Midtown won't ever become anything until it gets well connected enough to survive economic downturns. By that, I mean revive well enough afterwards when, after the economic recovery begin to happen, old developments get left behind in a hurry by those of the fickled rich who have enough money to be led away towards the next best thing, gadget, and technology.
what the hell are you taking about.. you really don't know what you are talking about when it comes to midtown.... You do not even know what is and is not midtown you are talking about trenches(I assume you mean bayou) that are nowhere never what is midtown ( you're thinking musesum and medical district) So you will forgive me if I don't take you anazale of Midtown serious.

Half you statement does not even make sense ,what ecomonic recover that will begin to happen, Houston walked away from the worst of the down turn with only minor straches.. even then Midtown grew... Midotwn is one of th most connected areas in Houston which is one it is one of the fastest growing,please stop its clear you have no clue what you are talking about, hell you don't even know where midtown begins and ends for pete sake

Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
what the hell are you taking about.. you really don't know what you are talking about when it comes to midtown.... You do not even know what is and is not midtown you are talking about trenches(I assume you mean bayou) that are nowhere never what is midtown ( you're thinking musesum and medical district) So you will forgive me if I don't take you anazale of Midtown serious.

Half you statement does not even make sense ,what ecomonic recover that will begin to happen, Houston walked away from the worst of the down turn with only minor straches.. even then Midtown grew... Midotwn is one of th most connected areas in Houston which is one it is one of the fastest growing,please stop its clear you have no clue what you are talking about, hell you don't even know where midtown begins and ends for pete sake
Midtown has been around forever just as very little has ever happened concerning it. The trench is the extremely wide sunken freeways of I-69 and 288 as they converge together before running underneath the interchange of I-45 before rising up to become part of the Great Wall of Chinatown separating downtown Houston from the East side. Again, you are just wasting time here assuming I don't know what Midtown is. In my opinion, it is a mythological place that has always been cut off from any kind of reality by elevated freeways and half hearted dreams of grandeur. The city of Houston has yet to begin to put the monumental effort required into "Midtown" that the city of Dallas put into creating Uptown Dallas. Midtown doesn't even compare with the Dallas Design District for that matter.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:38 PM

568 posts, read 902,276 times
Quote:
Midtown has been around forever just as very little has ever happened concerning it. The trench is the extremely wide sunken freeways of I-69 and 288 as they converge together before running underneath the interchange of I-45 before rising up to become part of the Great Wall of Chinatown separating downtown Houston from the East side. Again, you are just wasting time here assuming I don't know what Midtown is. In my opinion, it is a mythological place that has always been cut off from any kind of reality by elevated freeways and half hearted dreams of grandeur. The city of Houston has yet to begin to put the monumental effort required into "Midtown" that the city of Dallas put into creating Uptown Dallas. Midtown doesn't even compare with the Dallas Design District for that matter.
The area you're talking about is not even close to the heart/action of Midtown.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
The area you're talking about is not even close to the heart/action of Midtown.
Again, I know where Midtown is. It is that area with only a single skyscraper that seems to be modeled after Exxon's much taller one downtown. That little skyscraper sits at about the center of Midtown. For cripes sake, I use to live in Houston. One can't miss Midtown as its edges are indelibly stamped with elevated freeways and that one sunken freeway I just mentioned running to the south of it. My father would take my siblings and I out to eat at the original restaurant of Timmy Chans in Midtown. I know of the Sears department store. I don't know if it is still there but I knew of it. I know where Montrose begins as Westheimer started getting really weird past that elevated feeder portion that designated Midtown. The museum district begins with a lot of flower shops on the other side of Midtown. Midtown is that part which is a grid of streets similar to downtown and that is another way of differentiating it from Montrose.

The attempt at gentrifying Midtown has been going on forever as I said. It started way back in the seventies and is still floundering along as such.

Look, when doing things in planning to achieve something great, the excuse of Bohemian "no zoning" isn't ever going to make a very long list.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:42 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,964,459 times
Quote:
Again, I know where Midtown is. It is that area with only a single skyscraper that seems to be modeled after Exxon's much taller one downtown. That little skyscraper sits at about the center of Midtown. For cripes sake, I use to live in Houston. One can't miss Midtown as its edges are indelibly stamped with elevated freeways and that one sunken freeway I just mentioned running to the south of it. My father would take my siblings and I out to eat at the original restaurant of Timmy Chans in Midtown. I know of the Sears department store. I don't know if it is still there but I knew of it. I know where Montrose begins as Westheimer started getting really weird past that elevated feeder portion that designated Midtown. The museum district begins with a lot of flower shops on the other side of Midtown. Midtown is that part which is a grid of streets similar to downtown and that is another way of differentiating it from Montrose.

The attempt at gentrifying Midtown has been going on forever as I said. It started way back in the seventies and is still floundering along as such.

Look, when doing things in planning to achieve something great, the excuse of Bohemian "no zoning" isn't ever going to make a very long list.
Just an fyi, the original Timmy Chan's is not in Midtown, but in third ward on Scott street.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:36 PM

568 posts, read 902,276 times
Quote:

lol just stop dude... Most of Midtown's development and life is neighboring 4th ward and Montrose. There is some housing around Baldwin Park that is easily accessible as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas