Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 04:17 PM

392 posts, read 634,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You obviously know nothing about Houston
That's right, I don't. That's why the downtown buildings look so completely without character. If I lived in Houston, sure, I'd get to know their looks. But since I don't, there is no "there" there that would attract my attention to its downtown.

In the case of Dallas, Warhol noticed the green pinstriped building right away, after 15 minutes in town. The producers of "Dallas" picked up on the dandelion tower at first glance. The producers of the "Robocop" movie glommed onto the I M Pei Dallas City Hall.

Incidentally, the green pinstripe building has had much more than its 15 minutes of fame, in spite of Warhol's famous saying. You'd be hard pressed to remember anything about a downtown Houston building after 5 minutes... with the exception of maybe one of them.

That would be the reddish-brown building with the stairsteps on its roof peak.

Couple of reasons to mention it. First of all, I'm a fair minded person who gives credit when it's due.

And then again... the exception proves the rule.

Last edited by savanite; 08-06-2012 at 04:40 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
That's right, I don't. That's why the downtown buildings look so completely without character. If I lived in Houston, sure, I'd get to know their looks. But since I don't there is no "there" there that would attract my attention to its downtown.
You really can't be serious when comparing Dallas' buildings to some of the most iconic ones in the world. Andy Warhol probably liked our argon lighted building but it was also the 80's where I feel that building belongs.

I love our skyline as much as the next homer but the problem with it is when we build buildings they end up being too progressive and end up looking dated. This didn't happen with the buildings mentioned in Seattle, NYC, London, etc. The most notable building in our skyline is the "tootsie pop" building which I think is the biggest eyesore and sticks out like a sore thumb. During the day it just looks like a stick with chicken wire on it.

I like both skylines the same but think Houston has the edge in development. Thirty years from now the buildings will still look like you regular old buildings like NYC and Dallas will look like a bedlam of architectural failure. I love Dallas' skyline because I was born and raised here but we need to give credit where credit is due.

The four buildings I think are noteworthy when I visit the city are the Bank of America Center, Heritage Plaza (also built in the 80's and will stand through time), and the long glass oval building that's really thin. I also like the JP Morgan Chase and Williams tower because it reminds me of the Empire State Building era.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 PM

OK, folks, I've had my say about what I value in a skyline.

I'll let the rest of you sort it out.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:07 PM

60 posts, read 133,540 times
Look at Dallas.... One of our newest editions... The Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge is breathtaking... We invite all of you Houstonians up for a tour..... Welcome to Dallas, the city where love and peace sets the standard. Come one, come all! lol

Old 08-06-2012, 09:29 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,276,159 times
Quote:
The issue of skylines revolves around iconic buildings. In Dallas, you have the Green pinstriped building, the chisel shaped building, the dandelion tower, the Perot museum, etc. In San Francisco, you have the Transamerica pyramid. In Memphis, you have a real pyramid. In NYC, the Empire State, the Met Life building in front of Grand Central Terminal. In Seattle, the Space Needle. In London, the Gherkin.

In Houston, you have...? Well, the buildings in the downtown are long and narrow, and only Houston has buildings that are long and narrow?
I don't think you are giving Houston's skyline enough credit and quite frankly, there seems to be some bias coming from your post, especially on your take of Dallas's skyline changing angles and views.

Although i agree that Dallas may have the better looking skyline, Houston's skyline is one of the most dynamic i have ever seen and changes views constantly. The sheer size alone packs more punch in the overall spectrum. Dallas's may be more impressive up close and that's due to the individual buildings.

The other thing that comes as bias in your post, is you totally discounting Houston's iconic Bank of America building. It's especially noticed when coming into downtown on I-45 south and it's the 4th tallest building in Houston. It definitely makes a statement in Houston's skyline.

If you look at the Texas Medical Center, you see several buildings that have character and great architecture. If one who's really crazy about architecture really wants to see it in Houston, they can just go look at the St Lukes and the new outpatient towers in the medical center.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Last edited by stoneclaw; 08-06-2012 at 09:38 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 11:18 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,346,705 times
Quote:
That's right, I don't. That's why the downtown buildings look so completely without character. If I lived in Houston, sure, I'd get to know their looks. But since I don't, there is no "there" there that would attract my attention to its downtown.

In the case of Dallas, Warhol noticed the green pinstriped building right away, after 15 minutes in town. The producers of "Dallas" picked up on the dandelion tower at first glance. The producers of the "Robocop" movie glommed onto the I M Pei Dallas City Hall.

Incidentally, the green pinstripe building has had much more than its 15 minutes of fame, in spite of Warhol's famous saying. You'd be hard pressed to remember anything about a downtown Houston building after 5 minutes... with the exception of maybe one of them.

That would be the reddish-brown building with the stairsteps on its roof peak.

Couple of reasons to mention it. First of all, I'm a fair minded person who gives credit when it's due.

And then again... the exception proves the rule.
I notice Reunion Tower, BOA, Renaissance Tower, Comerica Bank Tower, Chase Tower, Trammell Crowe Center, and Fountain Place.
I'm not sure about you, I don't hold Andy Warhol's opinion that highly. He was a 70s/80s drug addict abstract painter, of course he likes an ugly green building. It's in his nature.

If you cannot remember at least half of these: BOA, Williams Tower, Heritage Plaza, CenterPoint Energy Plaza, Continental Center, former Enron towers, One Park Place, Main Place, Gulf Building, Hess Tower, Hyatt Regency, Esperson Buildings, or Penzoil Place. Then you lose all credibility and shouldn't be talking about this subject.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 AM

There is now a definition of "better", as in which skyline is better...

The purpose of a skyline is to identify a city. The better it identifies the city, the better it is.

When a TV news show has a guest make a statement, they usually have a skyline in the background. This is done to give a sense of place to the speaker. If he's in St Louis, you bet you'll see the famous arch. If he's in Seattle, you'll see the Space Needle.

The skyline must contain buildings that are instantly iconic. Due to the immense popularity of the TV show, Dallas' unusual buildings instantly give a sense of place. There's only one Reunion tower in the world. Other Dallas buildings are arguably less recognizable, but still one-of-a-kind, due to their unusual shapes or lighting effects.

The downtown Houston skyline is less recognizable, less familiar, and the shapes of the buildings are more common to tall office buildings that could be in any of dozens of cities in the world.

This assertion can be scientifically tested by asking volunteers to identify the city by viewing a photograph of the skyline. It's not a matter of personal preference or taste.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:20 AM

686 posts, read 1,168,807 times
Quote:
There is now a definition of "better", as in which skyline is better...

The purpose of a skyline is to identify a city. The better it identifies the city, the better it is.

When a TV news show has a guest make a statement, they usually have a skyline in the background. This is done to give a sense of place to the speaker. If he's in St Louis, you bet you'll see the famous arch. If he's in Seattle, you'll see the Space Needle.

The skyline must contain buildings that are instantly iconic. Due to the immense popularity of the TV show, Dallas' unusual buildings instantly give a sense of place. There's only one Reunion tower in the world. Other Dallas buildings are arguably less recognizable, but still one-of-a-kind, due to their unusual shapes or lighting effects.

The downtown Houston skyline is less recognizable, less familiar, and the shapes of the buildings are more common to tall office buildings that could be in any of dozens of cities in the world.

This assertion can be scientifically tested by asking volunteers to identify the city by viewing a photograph of the skyline. It's not a matter of personal preference or taste.

Really, so now you are the authority on what defines a better skyline? Houston has a few buildings that are just as recognizable as any building in Dallas including the ball which are unique to this city. So I'm not buying the whole Dallas is way more distinguishable argument. Show most people this photo and I guarantee you they know what city it is. Listen, just because Houston chooses NOT TO line our buildings with Neon lights at night does not make our skyline any less recognizable. We have several buildings that would easily be recognizable at night if outlined with neon lights.

courtesy of houston.culturemap.com

Old 08-07-2012, 11:23 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,414,694 times
Default Dallas does not win this one

If Dallas wants to argue that it is somehow better than Houston then this is not the best feature to debate about. I am afraid that Dallas is the underdog on this issue and has the burden of proof. Houston does not have to make pathetic arguments about which is more distinguishable or which has the cutest buildings because the Houston skyline is ahead of Dallas in every objective ranking and report there is about skylines.

We are but a small concensus on CD in a sea of information about skylines. This debate has been exhausted, all of the facts have been presented, every angle has been explored, every building sized up, all photographic evidence considered whether subjective or factual. Yes, all of this has been exploited to the point that it is futile and a moot point. Both cities are arguing that one is better that the other. Meanwhile BOTH are dropping in the "WORLD" rankings. Yes, Houston has a bit more of a powerful skyline and dallas a colorful one but neither are the kings of their respective categories.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
If Dallas wants to argue that it is somehow better than Houston then this is not the best feature to debate about. I am afraid that Dallas is the underdog on this issue and has the burden of proof. Houston does not have to make pathetic arguments about which is more distinguishable or which has the cutest buildings because the Houston skyline is ahead of Dallas in every objective ranking and report there is about skylines.

We are but a small concensus on CD in a sea of information about skylines. This debate has been exhausted, all of the facts have been presented, every angle has been explored, every building sized up, all photographic evidence considered whether subjective or factual. Yes, all of this has been exploited to the point that it is futile and a moot point. Both cities are arguing that one is better that the other. Meanwhile BOTH are dropping in the "WORLD" rankings. Yes, Houston has a bit more of a powerful skyline and dallas a colorful one but neither are the kings of their respective categories.
The basic issue is the definition of the word "better".

And the question is which skyline is better.

So, what purpose does a skyline serve? If one of them has greater functionality, then it is better, by definition.

My approach is that a skyline serves its community by identifying it, and attracting the attention of the world. Its appearance provides a hook that engages attention from the outside.

The Dallas skyline is better because its unique appearance gathers more attention than Houston's.

The Dallas skyline is a better brand.

And I'll acknowledge that the St Louis and Seattle skylines are better brands than Dallas'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas