Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 03:36 AM

297 posts, read 477,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Houston is booming!!!
I found some Info on which cities in the United States are doing the most construction.

It's a top 20 list. Houston is #4 or #3, Not sure. Check out where DALLAS is at.
Houston, Texas - In Photos: The 20 U.S. Cities With The Most New Construction - Forbes

LOL ! Big D Baybeeee. !

Old 11-06-2013, 05:56 AM

32 posts, read 57,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
I found some Info on which cities in the United States are doing the most construction.

It's a top 20 list. Houston is #4 or #3, Not sure. Check out where DALLAS is at.
Houston, Texas - In Photos: The 20 U.S. Cities With The Most New Construction - Forbes

LOL ! Big D Baybeeee. !
Yes, that report is based on all types of construction, not just high-rise buildings. Both are booming. After coming to Texas in 2002, and have lived in Dallas and now Houston, I'd give the vote to Houston. Dallas is impressive at night.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:08 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,157,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post

LOL ! Big D Baybeeee. !
You do know this is s list for projects that are currently under construction , not projects that are gearing up for construction right ???
just look at the largest project started to date section.. MD MD Anderson Pavilion (Houston, TX)
and Addition at T5@ Dallas Data Center (Plano, TX)

and only included construction that had started by may

Old 11-06-2013, 11:01 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,066,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
You do know this is s list for projects that are currently under construction , not projects that are gearing up for construction right ???
What? You're arguing against the list because it's a list of stuff that's actually happening rather than a list of theoretical projects that may happen in the future? Surely I misunderstand you because that's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:08 AM

328 posts, read 473,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
just look at the largest project started to date section.. MD MD Anderson Pavilion (Houston, TX)
and Addition at T5@ Dallas Data Center (Plano, TX)

and only included construction that had started by may
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas. -- Sheldon Cooper

Old 11-06-2013, 11:16 AM

328 posts, read 473,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
What? You're arguing against the list because it's a list of stuff that's actually happening rather than a list of theoretical projects that may happen in the future? Surely I misunderstand you because that's the dumbest thing I've ever read.
+1 One week Forbes is gospel, the next week it's a rag. Some consistency would be refreshing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking_(fallacy)

Old 11-06-2013, 11:21 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,087,750 times
Quote:
The difference is Dallas is getting infill. Houston is getting skyscrapers + infill.

Houston is building skyscrapers all over the city from downtown to the Energy Corridor in far west Houston. Dallas is building midrises in Uptown only. The Galleria area has been stagnant ever since it was built.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:47 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,157,339 times
Quote:
PAY ATTENTION IT ONLY INCLUDEDS PROJECTS THAT HAD STARTED AS OF MAY 2013???? That applies to both Houston and Dallas

So that does not included projects that started after may let me check this is Nov right ???

BHP Billiton / Five Oaks Place did not start till early 0ct
Astoria late oct
The Sovereign at Regent Square - 21-story Tower june 2013
Noble Energy Tower - 20 Stories at 249 & LouettaAugust 2013
SWV: 10-Story Building
West Memorial Place(august)
SkyHouse - june
I am mssing like a lot m
ore . and I have not even touched the resdeinal side.. these are not fture these are what started after the atricle was released

Old 11-06-2013, 02:09 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,797,597 times
Ross Perot Jr. buys key downtown Dallas corner, envisions grand development

By STEVE BROWN
Real Estate Editor
Published: November 6, 2013 11:24 AMUpdated: November 6, 2013 12:23 PM

Dallas businessman and developer Ross Perot Jr. has completed the purchase of a key downtown Dallas property.
And he hints that the land may be used for a new landmark skyscraper.
Perot Cos. said Wednesday that it has acquired the 1.75-acre southeast corner of Woodall Rodgers Freeway and Field Street. The prime property – which has been under contract for some time - at the north entry to downtown is now occupied by a Bank of America drive-through location.
It's just across the freeway from the Perot Museum of Nature and Science.
The new owner will continue to lease the hot corner to the bank. But Perot envisions grand plans for a future development.
"We are excited about this property in what we see as one of the last iconic sites in Dallas," Perot said in a statement. "We see tremendous potential in this site and envision it as a gateway to downtown and the world class neighborhoods at its doorstep.
"A future building has the potential to impact the Dallas skyline for generations to come."
Hillwood said the zoning on the land allows construction of a more than 1.5 million square-foot skyscraper with no height restrictions.
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...velopment1.ece

Old 11-06-2013, 02:37 PM

297 posts, read 477,942 times
[quote=Truth713;32118161]PAY ATTENTION IT ONLY INCLUDEDS PROJECTS THAT HAD STARTED AS OF
MAY 2013???? That applies to both Houston and Dallas

So that does not included projects that started after may let me check this is Nov right ???

Actually, if you take a look at ALL of the Cities on the list and their stats,
Houston is the ONLY city that does not show their billions spent from Jan thru May.

(and yes, the stats only show jan-may because, the study was done this year, and they had to
stop Somewhere and print it, right?, but still....)

Not sure why it was excluded or 'forgotten'. anyway, In all instances, it's fair to conclude that
Houston's stats also are from Jan-May.
And going by the prior year's money spent...
Houston and Dallas will BOTH spend 11 billion and over, Each.

Anyway.. Going by what YOU said, It would also be correct then to assume that by now,
Dallas has ALSO spent much more and started projects by now (Nov)....
Thus, your argument is kinda (not all) muted or moot...

But in ALL FAIRNESS.. I'm from Dallas, and I'm probably one of the most honest in saying that All those billions being spent
is mostly going to FREEWAYS , probably! lol !
(I believe we have More freeways in the Metroplex than in Houston Metro, and they are
not stopping from building them!)

And freeways cost BILLIONS. (usually)

But the FACTS are:

Houston, Texas
M.S.A.: Houston-Baytown-Sugar Land, TX
2013 Construction Starts:$4.8 billion
Change year-over-year: 8%
2012 Construction Starts: $11.1 billion
Change from 2011: 23%
Largest 2013 Project Started, to date: MD Anderson Pavilion (Houston, TX))

Dallas, Texas
M.S.A.: Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX
2013 Construction Starts, January to May: $5.2 billion
Change, year-over-year: 21%
2012 Construction Starts: $11.1 billion
Change from 2011: 22%
Largest 2013 Project Started, to date: Addition at T5@ Dallas Data Center (Plano, TX)

What this tells me is
1: BOTH cities posted 2012 spendings of 11.1 billion.
(it's obvious that Texas legislature is dividing the money between the cities equally)

2: "year over year" means that the city CONTINUALLY spends that much.
Houston's is an %8 change. (meaning that before 2011, they were spending as much)
Dallas is a %21 percent change. (Meaning that only RECENTLY as far back as 2011,
we have now begun spending 11.1 billion, thus the Boost)

(Houston has been the big spender in recent years, but DALLAS has caught up.
You can't argue those facts)

3: if this trend continues, then it 'could' be estimated that
Dallas is beginning to overtake Houston in money spent. And soon, in edifices built.

But like I said, it's MIGHT just ALL be spent on FREEWAYS. LOL !
Still... FREEWAYS BRING MONEY AND EXPANSION.
there is an estimation (in billions) that for every Dollar spent, a freeway
brings in 6. ie: 1 billion spent: 6 billion net.

****(here's a little secret on how money spent and allotted usually goes..)***
When a city asks for money from the gov't or their OWN State for projects,
they fill out forms and ASK for it. They have to show 'need'. And if it is approved, then the
Texas Legislature grants it.

Note: Usually once an entity is being allotted a particular amount of
money... that amount is given CONTINUALLY, unless the entity/city cannot show the 'need' for it
anymore. And as long as they SPEND the money allotted for building, they will be given the
same amount (or more) EVERY YEAR.

What this means is... Dallas will CONTINUE to get the spending money, now that they have it,
and Growth will continue at an accelerated rate.
Houston has already had it, and continues to have it, but my point is that Dallas
will eventually surpass Houston, by my guess.

Good Day everyone. !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas