Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:28 PM

25 posts, read 91,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Solis View Post
yorker,
I think there is a law where you have like 30 days to change your plates and get an ID with your new Texas address on it. However, its kind of like the speed limit law. You know, dont go over 30 mph, and everyone goes over 30, most everyone. I guess it really depends on how much of a law abider you are. I kind of shun rather small insignificant laws myself, but now as I'm getting older, I've learned sometimes its better to just go by the book.
Just go to the place, tell them you want to re-register your car, pay like a little bit of mula, then go to the ID gettin place, and tell them your new address. So that way you wont have to worry yourself.
Culture shock? It sounds like thats what you want to me. It is cool to go to other places, and realize that people are not all the same, and who knows you may fall in love with Texas; although, Lubbock is not exactly one of the best places to fall in love with in Texas. Not to say you might not love it, but your really there for your eduacation, both in your field of study, and in life itself.

Welcome Pardner, o bienvenidos
I understand where you are coming from. The problem is that I just don't want to have to do all of that and after 2 years decide to move back to New York and have to change it back again. If someone gives me a problem, I was just planning on using the excuse, "i'm just down here for college." Like gayle says, there are people from all over the country at texas tech so I am sure I am not the only one in this situation. Another reason I wanted to go to Texas was to see if what new yorkers say about texas is true haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 12:37 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,612,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorker View Post
I understand where you are coming from. The problem is that I just don't want to have to do all of that and after 2 years decide to move back to New York and have to change it back again. If someone gives me a problem, I was just planning on using the excuse, "i'm just down here for college." Like gayle says, there are people from all over the country at texas tech so I am sure I am not the only one in this situation. Another reason I wanted to go to Texas was to see if what new yorkers say about texas is true haha.
There are students from all 50 states and 90 different countries. It sounds like you have a good attitude and a sense of adventure, which is always good when making a cross-country move. Just out of curiosity, what do New Yorkers say about Texas?

Old 07-05-2009, 12:50 PM

185 posts, read 465,084 times
Let me guess what New Yorkers say about Texans.

They're all a bunch of country hicks, with pick me up trucks and cowboy boots and hats. And we all ride horses and go hunted for our dinners. We drink rattlesnake pizz for breakfast, and can kill mountain lions with our own hands. And them pretty little country women sure fix up them viddles right good you hear, and every weekend we sure have them country hoe downs, where we do the 2 step boot scootin boogy.

Is that close?

Old 07-05-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Solis View Post
Let me guess what New Yorkers say about Texans.

They're all a bunch of country hicks, with pick me up trucks and cowboy boots and hats. And we all ride horses and go hunted for our dinners. We drink rattlesnake pizz for breakfast, and can kill mountain lions with our own hands. And them pretty little country women sure fix up them viddles right good you hear, and every weekend we sure have them country hoe downs, where we do the 2 step boot scootin boogy.

Is that close?
I apologize ahead of time if I am too blunt...
You pretty much hit the nail on the head, jk. But seriously though, its not that bad. Some of the things I hear from my friends are like, "you know what comes out of texas right? steer and *****s" (i think its from full metal jacket) and saying that there are a bunch of redneck hicks down in Texas. The mentality is all the same, there is ignorance in every state. But you know how northerners are...they poke fun of anything that is not from their state and I am sure people from the south make fun of people from the north just as much. Personally, unlike them, I am more open-minded thats why I chose to study down there. Also, I really don't have the right to judge southerners because I have never been to the south before.

Last edited by yorker; 07-05-2009 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 01:52 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,255,800 times
Well, he got the part about the hoes down right.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:14 PM

4,726 posts, read 12,022,907 times
Do write again, yorker, and tell us all after 6 months how you're liking Lubbock. Dude, you should have gone to Austin instead.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Do write again, yorker, and tell us all after 6 months how you're liking Lubbock. Dude, you should have gone to Austin instead.
University of Texas didn't accept me

Old 07-05-2009, 04:15 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,255,800 times
Tech will be playing Texas in Austin this year, it's gonna be a hoot. There'll be some big time revenge in the air. Get your tickets early, make a plan but DO NOT speed through Callahan county.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:19 PM

4,726 posts, read 12,022,907 times
Football is really nothing to do with serious post-graduate study. So, seems yorker didn't get accepted to the state's premier Univeristy of Texas at Austin, but instead took a consolation "prize" at Texas Tech. Sorry, but in general Tech just doesn't have academic cache. You see, it's really noit about football. At least not for serious people.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:26 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,255,115 times
Funny how those physicians who graduated from Tech have the same two letters after their names as those who graduated from UT, though. The quality of your education and the service you offer the world afterward often depends as much on who you are as where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: